It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
(female)

beignet3 HB User
immunoglobulin question - please help

So after a month of mild diarrhea and a clean colonoscopy my hubby is told that he has mildly low immunoglobulins and is being referred to an immunologist. i am very concerned/anxious about this situation - what could cause low immunoglobulin levels? any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
(female)

bestoldies04 HB Userbestoldies04 HB User
Re: immunoglobulin question - please help

What is his immunoglobulin levels for each one? Each level plays a different role in our body so depending on what is low or high gives a idea what other tests to perform. How is your husband feeling now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
(female)

beignet3 HB User

First of all let me say THANK YOU for your response. I truly appreciate it. Although I do not have the numbers with me right now, I can tell you that the IgA level was very low while IgG level was only minimally low. They were tested twice back then (as well as the subclasses). Immunologist really didnt have any answers as to the cause of these decreases, and wasnt sure if it was related to the GI symptoms. He did advise us to have them retested in six months (which should be coming up pretty soon now). Maybe the retest will shed more light on the immune situation. Hubby is feeling better but, according to him, not the same as he was before the diarrhea started. GI doc has basically cleared him of any serious disease at this point and has diagnosed functional bowel disorder (from my internet research this is IBS).

Old 01-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
(female)

bestoldies04 HB Userbestoldies04 HB User

You're welcome, I feel your frustration, I know how it feels when no one helps. We actually can be born with low igA levels, as far as slightly low igG levels I would not be too concerned at this point, if your husband does not have any new symptoms. But I would definitely repeat them again and then again in the future. This will be the only way to tell if there is something going on. I had mine repeated yesterday, it had been a few months since it was done. I have found through all my years of being sick and having many tests, this immunoglobulin test appears to be the most important test I have taken yet. This pointed me into the right direction in finding the diagnosis. Medical diagnosis is like a jigsaw puzzle you have to have all the pieces. No matter how insignificant the doctor must be told everything that is going on with your husband. Many symptoms can apply to several different diseases but when you add one missing piece it changes the diagnosis. Good luck, keep us posted on how he is doing.

Last edited by bestoldies04; 01-12-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
(female)

cvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beignet3 View Post
First of all let me say THANK YOU for your response. I truly appreciate it. Although I do not have the numbers with me right now, I can tell you that the IgA level was very low while IgG level was only minimally low. They were tested twice back then (as well as the subclasses). Immunologist really didnt have any answers as to the cause of these decreases, and wasnt sure if it was related to the GI symptoms. He did advise us to have them retested in six months (which should be coming up pretty soon now). Maybe the retest will shed more light on the immune situation. Hubby is feeling better but, according to him, not the same as he was before the diarrhea started. GI doc has basically cleared him of any serious disease at this point and has diagnosed functional bowel disorder (from my internet research this is IBS).
Hi there!

If your hubby has low IgA he could have IgA deficiency. How low is it? Mildly low would not be a concern. IgA is part of your immune system that is present in mucous membranes - ears, nose, throat, gut, etc. The most common symptom of IgA deficiency is gut issues. At this time there is no treatment or cure for IgA deficiency. Its not a deadly disease, more of a nuisance. People with this live normal lives. The side effects from the disease must be treated (if gut, treat the symptoms, if infections maybe propholayctic antibiotics, etc). There is a ton of info online about it. Get prepared and ask the doc tons of questions about it. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
(female)

WhiteStarCat HB User

In an adult, it can be a genetic disorder. If he is diagnosed it is scary, but once he stars the recommended treatments, he will feel better.

Closed Thread