It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
(female)

kcferret HB User
Fatigue goes away when I have a cold

So long story short, I have been dealing with horrible fatigue for the last 4 years or so. It's almost constant OTHER than when I have a head cold or mild flu (go figure). I really don't get sick all that often so it took quite a long time for me to notice the correlation. Almost every morning it is impossible for me to wake up, it's like I was drugged. I get myself thrown together some how and get the kids going and drop them off at school and get to work. I'm ok for a while after I have my coffee but by 2PM or so in the afternoon the fatigue starts to really kick in again and all I can think about is "is it time to go to bed yet?". I used to be the most active person you could meet. I was non-stop and loved life. Now that all being said, I have noticed that when I have a head cold (usual stuffy nose, cough etc) or a mild flu, the fatigue goes away. Once again I am laying in my bed at night thinking or reading until I decide I should go to sleep. I sleep through the night as usual and wake feeling refreshed as I am supposed to. I almost wish my head cold would stick around, (I can take cold meds if it annoys me too much after all and at least that is a fix...) I've mentioned this to my doctors but they just seem to shrug it off. Really frustrating to say the last. I would think there has to be some tie-in there... anyone here have a clue?

On a side note, this all started after I ended up with a bout of bronchitis back in May of 2007 which subsequently turned into walking pneumonia. I felt great for about a month after I started taking antibiotics and since then I've been a mess.

It's silly that I enjoyed this last weekend more with my annoying headcold than the previous without!

(so much for my "short" story)

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: kcferret
beetleman (10-25-2011), ricenoodles (10-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2011, 05:17 AM   #2
(female)

ricenoodles HB User
Re: Fatigue goes away when I have a cold

So very curious - and how annoying the doctors just shrug it off. I wonder if there is some "thing" that your body produces in response to a headcold, that neutralizes the fatigue. Adrenalin seems like overkill for a cold, but it sure could send away the fatigue. I hope you will post again when you have some leads on this! Fingers crossed!!
The waking up as though drugged I have had pretty much my entire life - my favorite weekend as a little kid was to stay in bed all day reading and napping. At the time (the early 60's) this was viewed and an emotional problem rather than a physical health issue. Sigh... Now I suspect it was allergy and immune related - not depressions/anxiety. I wish you good success in your hunt.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
(female)

kcferret HB User

Thank you Ricenoodles, I will. I have an appt with my PCP next week so I will bring it up again and see what he says.

The following user gives a hug of support to kcferret:
ricenoodles (10-20-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
(male)

beetleman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricenoodles View Post
So very curious - and how annoying the doctors just shrug it off. I wonder if there is some "thing" that your body produces in response to a headcold, that neutralizes the fatigue. Adrenalin seems like overkill for a cold, but it sure could send away the fatigue. I hope you will post again when you have some leads on this! Fingers crossed!!
The waking up as though drugged I have had pretty much my entire life - my favorite weekend as a little kid was to stay in bed all day reading and napping. At the time (the early 60's) this was viewed and an emotional problem rather than a physical health issue. Sigh... Now I suspect it was allergy and immune related - not depressions/anxiety. I wish you good success in your hunt.
Another possibility, I guess, although I'm not a doctor, is that it's something to do with the immune system that goes away when the immune system is "distracted" by a head-cold. I'm not saying that the OP has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (in fact, I think that's unlikely) but I was reminded of this article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15401746

Which you might find interesting - although perhaps frustrating because it won't suggest a cure.

Stay strong, whatever happens, and never give up.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
(female)

kcferret HB User

Every little bit of information helps even if it is used just to rule other things out so I appreciate your input I have my appt with my PCP today (though it is for something unrelated) so I am going to throw my hypothesis at him and see what he says. My headcold has wound down now and sure as heck, I'm starting to drag again. Talk about frustrating!

Last edited by kcferret; 10-25-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
(male)

beetleman HB User

I will be thinking of you.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
(female)

kcferret HB User

Thanks Beetleman, I'm hoarding any good vibes that I can! Unfortunately my doc was called away on an emergency and I ended up with the stand in doc. Argh. Will have to wait until next week when hopefully my doc will be back.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
(male)

beetleman HB User

Yes, I agree, how frustrating! You must be feeling a bit helpless at the moment Get well, eventually x

Closed Thread