It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
(female)

Gcurious HB User
CVID and immunizations

When I was diagnosied with CVID- i had no immune response to being revaccinated. Now that i am being treated- i have no idea if i am *vaccinated* or if a flu shot would work.

my IgG levels were about 52 before i was treated.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
(female)

ricenoodles HB User
Re: CVID and immunizations

[
I have wondered about that too. My immunologist did some research when I asked him if it makes a difference to the flu shots ability to work, depending on which part of the infusion cycle you are in. He said to get a flu shot, but in my case to wait for 30 days after my last dose of prednisone (I had a 7 day course of that for asthma and bronchitis). There seem to be different ideas out there about the effectiveness of the flu shot for folks with severe immunity issues. They all agree it is safe (not a live virus, but a killed one). So basically it can't hurt.

Take care!!

Last edited by ricenoodles; 10-19-2011 at 04:06 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ricenoodles For This Useful Post:
Gcurious (10-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
(female)

Gcurious HB User

What I don't get is this....what i am missing is basically the part that remembers the germ...the thing that points it out for the other cells to kill it. When I was immunized again (before treatment) i showed no immune response. I didn't respond or get any protection from those immunizations. If IgG has to be replaced with new IgG each month-- then that memory probably dies off with the cells that are constantly and artificially being replaced-- or are we getting the memory of the people who gave that blood product? What if they aren't properly immunized?

Basically, i have to ask the doctor is that is what happens.

Last edited by mod85; 10-24-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 AM   #4
(male)

markincleveland HB User

You asked, "What if the plasma donors aren't properly immunized?"

That is exactly the reason why the first step in the manufacturing process is to pool at least 10,000 individual plasma donations from a cross section of geographical locations in the US.

Also the FDA dictates that only plasma donated in the US can be used to produce immune globulin sold in the US, even though some of the products are manufacture outside of the US. They ship the plasma off shore and ship the finished product back to the US.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by mod85; 10-24-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to markincleveland For This Useful Post:
ricenoodles (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
(female)

ricenoodles HB User

Great explaination Mark. I remember reading about this need for a big donor pool,both online at the IDF site and in the great info they sent me.
This is one instance where you want a huge pool of donors to maximize your immunity to all the different bugs out there.
Because it takes a while to process all the blood into the IV solution, we need the flu shot for this current year too.

Closed Thread