HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Immune Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/immune-disorders/)
-   -   Constipation - (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/immune-disorders/893348-constipation.html)

angelineteo2010 03-15-2012 05:26 PM

Constipation -

Hi.. Whatbis the best way to relieve constipation? Sometimes I don't pass motion for days! I've tried eatg lots of fruits..downg myself with tongps of water..e en prune juice.however thank gdness it doesn't happen often.. But still!! I hate the feelg when I can't past motion.someone please advice.;);)

boobootwo 03-15-2012 09:55 PM

Re: Constipation -

you need to increase you fiber intake. getting on a regular schedule with metamucil will probably be a blessing for you. just make sure you start out with small portions and work your way up until your body adjusts to the extra fiber. if you're taking too much too soon...your body will tell you. you will probably experience some gas until you adjust. that's why you start slow. i'm sure your problem will be much better in a few weeks. all the best.

cvidmama 03-20-2012 05:54 AM

My daughter has major tummy issues & I was told its totally normal to not go for several days. What they told her to take was Miralax (stool softener). We just bought the generic clearlax from Walmart and it worked wonders. She was on a double adult dose for 3 months if that tells you how safe it is. Check your meds too as a lot of them add to this issue. Good luck.

boobootwo 03-20-2012 09:08 AM

civdmama....just wanted to let you know that stool softeners are safe...but not taken for any length of time. i'm an adult and doc's tell me that the bowel can become dependant on the softeners and the muscles in the bowel become weak. they're not a good idea unless you're only taking them for a few days until you clean yourself out. taking metamucil regularly is the best option because most of us don't get enough fiber in the bulk form. it's purely natural and will never have ill effects. just a suggestion.

cvidmama 03-20-2012 07:17 PM

"MiraLax, which is currently available over-the-counter in the U.S, appears to remain safe and effective when use is extended for up to 6 months in patients with chronic constipation, researchers report in the American Journal of Gastroenterology"

My 7 year old was on a large dose for 3 months, as prescribed by her doctor. It helps to restore the bodies natural "rhythm".

boobootwo 03-20-2012 07:30 PM

cvidmama....it's your family, but if i were you...since it is over the counter...i would ask the pharmacist for the complete printout of cautions and side effects. i have sjogrens and have a lot of differnt intestinal and bowel problems and my doc's won't give it to me for any more than a few days. i'm not trying to tell you what to do...i just think that you should investigate the full description of the softener first.

cvidmama 03-20-2012 08:34 PM

[QUOTE=boobootwo;4947702]cvidmama....it's your family, but if i were you...since it is over the counter...i would ask the pharmacist for the complete printout of cautions and side effects. i have sjogrens and have a lot of differnt intestinal and bowel problems and my doc's won't give it to me for any more than a few days. i'm not trying to tell you what to do...i just think that you should investigate the full description of the softener first.[/QUOTE]

Decisions to medicate ones child should never come easy and mine did not. I read all about Miralx and the possible side effects. My child is a naturally healthy eater with TONS of fresh fruit daily, high fiber cereals and little dairy. This was a last ditch effort before allowing them to scope her...and it worked. Thankfully she does not have an autoimmune disease such as Sjorgens. Maybe thats why they won't let you take it? Sometimes the benefits outweigh the risk. I have CVID - so it would seem ridiculous to normals to hear docs are giving me meds that lower my immune system when I already don't have one. But, in order to treat my deadly lung disease caused by my CVID, it was a necessity. Crazy world the world of medicine :)