It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
(male)

mws952002 HB User
Hypogammaglobulinemia & CVID

I am so confused. I am awaiting the results of all blood work from second lab. I am a 56 year old male with a history of sinus infections (& allergies). My ENT dr did not want to speak for allergist/immunologist, but he suspects sinus infections are related to low antibodies and she "might" want to boost my immune system.

First lab noted "Hypogammaglobulinemia is present". One month later (3/17) I was retested along with additional tests. While some lab results have been released, Dr says waiting for additional results for interpretation. So far what I have is:

Component Standard Range 2/17/2012 3/17/2012 Change
IGG QUANT 751-1560 MG/DL 637 622 -15
IGM QUANT 46-304 MG/DL 27 24 - 3

My IGA & CBC are normal. As you can see, my IGG & IGM dropped slightly since last month. I was under the assumption that, if they could not find a cause (cancer, etc.) it must be CVID.

I was just told by a source (not my Dr) that my readings are mild & not significant. This same source told me that for CVID the IGA MUST be below normal. So this all sounds like good news in my case.

But that leaves me confused about Hypogammaglobulinemia, CVID & lab results. Does Hypogammaglobulinemia get worse, or is it stationary (you have what you have)? And if no cause is found and don't have CVID, does that mean I'm just a little prone to infections? Why would labs scores be different and what is clinically significant?

If anyone could provide insight, it would be appreciated. I just want to understand.

Thx.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
(female)

cvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB User
Re: Hypogammaglobulinemia & CVID

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws952002 View Post
I am so confused. I am awaiting the results of all blood work from second lab. I am a 56 year old male with a history of sinus infections (& allergies). My ENT dr did not want to speak for allergist/immunologist, but he suspects sinus infections are related to low antibodies and she "might" want to boost my immune system.

First lab noted "Hypogammaglobulinemia is present". One month later (3/17) I was retested along with additional tests. While some lab results have been released, Dr says waiting for additional results for interpretation. So far what I have is:

Component Standard Range 2/17/2012 3/17/2012 Change
IGG QUANT 751-1560 MG/DL 637 622 -15
IGM QUANT 46-304 MG/DL 27 24 - 3

My IGA & CBC are normal. As you can see, my IGG & IGM dropped slightly since last month. I was under the assumption that, if they could not find a cause (cancer, etc.) it must be CVID.

I was just told by a source (not my Dr) that my readings are mild & not significant. This same source told me that for CVID the IGA MUST be below normal. So this all sounds like good news in my case.

But that leaves me confused about Hypogammaglobulinemia, CVID & lab results. Does Hypogammaglobulinemia get worse, or is it stationary (you have what you have)? And if no cause is found and don't have CVID, does that mean I'm just a little prone to infections? Why would labs scores be different and what is clinically significant?

If anyone could provide insight, it would be appreciated. I just want to understand.

Thx.
Your source was correct. Dx of CVID means 2 standard deviations below normal range in IgG and low IgA and/OR IgM. But your test are barely low. Just because it is not cvid doesn not automatically make it hypo - it just means your labs are slightly low. Mine were in the the low 200's when dx, I know people who had 0. Hypo means low in ALL of them not just 2. This appears to be a wait and see approach. If you have either, they will keep dropping. THEN they would give you vaccinations then redraw your blood in 3 weeks to see if your body mounted a response (made titers), if not, cvid diagnosis. Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to cvidmama For This Useful Post:
mws952002 (03-28-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
(male)

mws952002 HB User
Re: Hypogammaglobulinemia & CVID

More test results released today. A total igg subclass (1-2-3-4) was released. That total was 500 with normal at 767 - 1590. The igg quant was 622 a normal at 751-1560. Does anyone know the difference? And which score is more important?

Reply Reply

Tags
cvid, immune deficiency