It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
(male)

mws952002 HB User
Immune System & Lungs

I was given pneumonia vax & will be re-tested in a month. Dr said IGG very important to lungs. Therefore she wants chest CT scan & lung function test.
Go to lung function in a.m. but CT scan came back a bit unexpected.

Many years ago I tested positive for TB exposure. I had a rather large reaction. I was on a drug for a year. Due to a persistent cough, my pulmonologist did a scope in the lungs. He validated a single calcified granuloma as seen on x-ray was the TB. A chest x-ray a few years ago noted 1 granuloma.

The recent CT scan revealed several calcified granulomas and a non-calcified something, maybe granuloma. It also noted possible trapped air. Dr recommended I see pulmonologist.

My question: does anyone know if an immune disorder can cause these granulomas in lung?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Immune System & Lungs

It sounds like you've had a tiny bit of TB in your lungs for years. Many people have little TB granulomas, and as long as they don't spread, it's fine. It's called latent TB.

However, if your immune system has weakened, that latent tuberculosis could start to spread and become active. If it does, you may need to be on antibiotics again.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
mws952002 (04-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
(female)

cvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB Usercvidmama HB User

Are they testing you for CVID? Common Variable Immune Deficiency? thats what it sounds like to me. If your immune system is low, then they give you the vaccine and check you in a month to see if you make titers. If not or a low response, you get a CVID diagnosis.

Lots of things can cause granulomas in people with deficient immune systems. Recurrent infections can cause scar tissue, there are several lung diseases. The trick IS to go see the pulmo. Get the PFT and it will check your lung function. They may want to do a biopsy, I had a fine needle biopsy and was awake the whole time and it was a piece of cake . I have a very rare lung disease caused by my CVID. Try not to worry, sounds like your doc is on the right track.

The Following User Says Thank You to cvidmama For This Useful Post:
mws952002 (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
(male)

mws952002 HB User

Thx for the info. I am sorry to hear about your lung disease; hope you are doing well given the circumstances. Much appreciate your sharing of info.

Frankly, my head was spinning after my dr visit. Don’t get me wrong, I have 110% confidence in her, it was just so much info. She sat me down & gave me results and used both sides of a sheet of paper to diagram this out. The short version is that my IGG & IGM were low. My IGA was normal. My IGE was high. My values for the flu & tetanus were good. My values for the 23 pneumonia test was low, but that might be because I have never been exposed to it. She explained primary & secondary immune disorders. She brought up CVID & IVIG. She noted that IGG is extremely important for the lungs. I can’t remember her words, but I think she said that if I have lung issues, that might push me over the edge for IVIG rather than take a “lets watch it” approach.

Dr then went on to say that secondary causes of low IGG are 1) infection 2) vitamin deficiency 3) cancer. She also noted that it is very unusual for someone with a high IGE like I have to have a true immune disorder, but it can happen. Because of my allergy history & asthmatic type symptoms at times, she wanted a CT scan of chest & pulmonary function test. She was giving me pneumonia vax & I am to have blood test in 4-6 weeks. To rule out cancer, I need prostrate check & colonoscopy. (I have a history of pre-cancer polyps & have been followed regularly for years. I explained that with next one due in 2013. She wanted it pushed up but would talk to my gastro dr. They called next day to move it up. I have at end of month.) She closed by stating she is notifying all my drs (same health system) that she wants to know of any infections, hospitalized for pneumonia, etc. I can go to my ENT dr for sinus infection, but she wants to know. If he is not available, do not go to associate, contact her. (I recently had sinus infection with 2 types of bacteria a resistant to a family of antibiotics. I was put on Cipro & med pac.)

I had pulmonary function test today. I don’t know how I did. I do know it loosened something up a bit & caused me to get hoarse & coughing a bit more. Feel sore internally too. Felt bad all day, like I am trying to get sick. But I worked a lot of hours over last 2 weeks and am very tired. I made apt with pulmonary dr.

I am not really concerned, I more interested and want to move on. I am already tired of all the dr appts & tests. But she warned me this will take a while. I will say I absolutely love my dr.

Sorry did not mean to be long winded. Again, I hope you are doing well & wish you the best in your challenges.

Last edited by mws952002; 04-12-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Reply Reply