It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
(female)

runat60 HB User
Rheumatologist or Immunologist, how do you know which you need

I have joint pain in my feet, hands, neck and shoulders at times. Never at the same time. I have sinisitis and inner ear issues. I have seen an ENT and it was a wast of money. Steroids and a low salt diet have done nothing for me (he said it was meniers).
Could all this be allergy related?
I have Hashimoto's Hypo thyroidism and am on replacement therapy for this. But arthritis is also an autoimmune disease as is Hashimotos. Immunology seems like it would cover all of it but I am seeing threads about them not addressing joint porblems. I really wanted to avoid the doctor merry go round.....help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: Rheumatologist or Immunologist, how do you know which you need

Meniere's is a royal pain, and many times no particular cause is found. A rheumatologist is the type of Dr that handles things like rhuematoid arthritis and lupus and sometimes osteoarthritis. A primary care doctor can also easily handle osteoarthritis. I have my primary also handle my Hashi's. In cases of suspected autoimmune disease, blood tests can be performed to get more information, and obviously x-rays and mri's can be used to look at joint damage in the case of osteoarthritis

The Following User Says Thank You to luca689 For This Useful Post:
runat60 (09-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
(female)

reikichan2002 HB User

Hi...If your joint pain is new to you, I would consult a rheumy. Hashimotos is autoimmune and often folks with one autoimmune disorder can have multiple disorders (case in point...I have Sjoegeren's and relapsing polychondritis and a demyelinating disorder).

Meiners (sp?) symptoms include ringing in the ear...which you did not mention, so I am not sure why the ENT gave that diag.

Hope this help...

Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
(female)

reikichan2002 HB User

Hi...If your joint pain is new to you, I would consult a rheumy. Hashimotos is autoimmune and often folks with one autoimmune disorder can have multiple disorders (case in point...I have Sjoegeren's and relapsing polychondritis and a demyelinating disorder).

Meiners (sp?) symptoms include ringing in the ear...which you did not mention, so I am not sure why the ENT gave that diag.

Hope this helps...

Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
(female)

reikichan2002 HB User

Hope this help...

Old 09-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
(female)

runat60 HB User

I had some minor ringing, major pressure and off balance issues. I would stand up after squatting (like pulling weeds) and almost fall over...or sometimes just while walking just teeter off to one side. That has subsided a bit, but the pressure remains as well as hearing loss. The hearing gets worse on the days where the pressure is worse. All this with a side of joint pain that can appear anywhere from neck and shoulders and hands to the more common in winter, foot pain while walking a lot or after laying down. or sitting with my feet up.
I had said immunologist because I wonder if this could all be allergy related. I read that joint pain could be an inflammation caused by an allergy.
An ENT was just where I started because I had to do something...
Oh, and unless this plays a role somehow that I am missing, the Hashimotos has been in check with the synthroid.
I thought it was interesting they were both autoimmune diseases and worth mentioning.

Last edited by runat60; 09-05-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: after though

Reply Reply