It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

flyaway12 HB User
test results

I could really use some input, I'm not sure where to go from here.

Symptoms:
frequent infections (mostly respiratory, every 3-4 weeks)
chronic throat pain
(had a tonsilectomy in September but this didn't seem to fix anything)
rosacea
IBS-D
severe allergies with no known cause (despite allergy testing)
breathing problems, chronic nose bleeds (deviated septum)
headaches
severe fatigue
anemia

My doctor ordered a bunch of blood work, the results are posted below. These are her comments:

"Your blood counts (WBC, hemoglobin, and platelets) were normal.
Your electrolytes (sodium, potassium, & calcium), kidney function (creatinine and GFR), and liver enzymes (ALT & AST) were all fine.
Your thyroid (TSH) was ok.
Your immunoglobulins were normal, although IgA (which helps mostly for respiratory infections) is at the low end of normal. It may not be making a difference--could just be bad luck/having a small child that is causing you to get the frequent infections. However, it may not be a bad idea to try to recheck at some point when you haven't had an infection in a while, and see if it's low then, in case active infection has elevated the levels currently. If it is low, then immunoglobin infusion may help."

She mentions rechecking when I haven't been sick for a while, but I'm sick just about 3 weeks. I just want to know how to make things better ... I'm so tired of being sick.

RESULTS:

CBC

WBC 7.0
RBC 4.73
HEMOGLOBIN 12.9
HEMATOCRIT 41.1
MCV 86.9
MCH 27.3
MCHC 31.4
PLATELETS 281
MPV 10.8
RDW 14.6
RDW-STDEV 46.5
NEUTROPHILS 66
LYMPHOCYTES 26
MONOCYTES 5
EOSINOPHILS 3
BASOPHILS 1
NEUTROPHIL ABSOLUTE 4.58
LYMPHOCYTE ABSOLUTE 1.78
MONOCYTE ABSOLUTE 0.37
EOSINOPHIL ABSOLUTE 0.22
BASOPHILS ABSOLUTE 0.04

METABOLIC PANEL

SODIUM 140
POTASSIUM 4.0
CHLORIDE 103
CO2 24
CALCIUM 9.1
BUN 13
CREATININE 0.71
GLUCOSE 103
TOTAL PROTEIN 7.0
ALBUMIN 4.2
BILIRUBIN TOTAL 0.3
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 45
AST 17

IMMUNOGLOBINS

IGG 895
IGM 230.1
IGA 84.6 (she said the normal range starts at 83)

TSh 1.80

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
(female)

vryfunnygal HB User
Smile Re: test results

Hello there, my daughter who is 6 is having all but the ibs symptoms. Her titer for her antibody for strepococcus pneumoniae antibody <vacination> was beyond low<serotypes were 0.35 and are all suppose to be well over 1.l00, and higher, and also her haemophilus antibody vaccine. Have you had your antibodies checked for past vaccinations? Just an idea. I would take a vitamin D, 1,000 mg once a day, followed by a good multi vitamin. Use a saline mist spray, once a day, or up to 3 times a day. The headaches are probably or more than likely due to the sinus pressure. I would not take more than 3; 400 mgs of ibuprophen one 3 times a day. My daughter also has throat pain, I associate it with the fact that with her chronic, uri, and ear, and sinus infections, she sleeps, and breathes out of her mouth, instead of her nose. Heres a little help, I have her take the end of the blanket when she covers it up and stick it right under her nose, and go to sleep like that. For some reason the heat generated from the blanket, gives some breathing capabilities, and it forces you to close your mouth. Not sure if you understand what Im saying or not. Also, put a small bowl of water next to your bed, to give you some moisture. Especially during winter time. I would as soon as you start to feel better, and not running fever. Ask to be tested to see if you have antibodies to the streptococcus pneumoniae vaccine, and the haemophilus type b vaccine. Also if your igg2 and igg3 subclasses are low, then it would directly relate to the vaccines perhaps. There is a connection, just keep researching it. Also, as far as the anemia is concerned it can be an underlying issue as well. Try to take see about taking some extra iron in or an iron pill, and make sure your eating. Your body needs protein to make energy. Try to give your immune system time to rest. Good luck, just know that your not alone. Sincerely, and god bless, gal

Old 11-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

flyaway12 HB User
Re: test results

Quote:
Originally Posted by vryfunnygal View Post
Hello there, my daughter who is 6 is having all but the ibs symptoms. Her titer for her antibody for strepococcus pneumoniae antibody <vacination> was beyond low<serotypes were 0.35 and are all suppose to be well over 1.l00, and higher, and also her haemophilus antibody vaccine. Have you had your antibodies checked for past vaccinations? Just an idea. I would take a vitamin D, 1,000 mg once a day, followed by a good multi vitamin. Use a saline mist spray, once a day, or up to 3 times a day. The headaches are probably or more than likely due to the sinus pressure. I would not take more than 3; 400 mgs of ibuprophen one 3 times a day. My daughter also has throat pain, I associate it with the fact that with her chronic, uri, and ear, and sinus infections, she sleeps, and breathes out of her mouth, instead of her nose. Heres a little help, I have her take the end of the blanket when she covers it up and stick it right under her nose, and go to sleep like that. For some reason the heat generated from the blanket, gives some breathing capabilities, and it forces you to close your mouth. Not sure if you understand what Im saying or not. Also, put a small bowl of water next to your bed, to give you some moisture. Especially during winter time. I would as soon as you start to feel better, and not running fever. Ask to be tested to see if you have antibodies to the streptococcus pneumoniae vaccine, and the haemophilus type b vaccine. Also if your igg2 and igg3 subclasses are low, then it would directly relate to the vaccines perhaps. There is a connection, just keep researching it. Also, as far as the anemia is concerned it can be an underlying issue as well. Try to take see about taking some extra iron in or an iron pill, and make sure your eating. Your body needs protein to make energy. Try to give your immune system time to rest. Good luck, just know that your not alone. Sincerely, and god bless, gal
Thanks for your reply. I followed up with an immunologist yesterday. He did allergy testing and determined that I don't have any allergies that they found, and diagnosed me with non-rhinitis. He added a steroid nasal spray to my current "allergy" regimen. It's just aggravating because in addition to that I'm taking Singulair and using eye drops and an inhaler. He did say that over time we can get it under control and hopefully eliminate some of the medication. He also did a lung function test. He said it's not normal, but he doesn't think I'm asthmatic. He thinks it's from my sinuses being such a mess, and continue with my current treatment.

He did send me for more bloodwork, which did include checking antibodies from vaccines. There was a total of 5 tests they are doing.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
(female)

vryfunnygal HB User
Smile Re: test results

My oldest daughter takes singulair, and claritin d in oral form together Weve tried all meds, and found that when combined it helped her drastically. That is the only thing thats been able to work for her. I have reflux, and have constant post nasal drip, and Im on flonase. I also have copd, they prescribed combivent, <which I stopped, because it was causing wheezing, and worse breathing symptoms> drink lots of water, and try to stay away from caffeine, it tends to inflame sinus issues, or make more production of mucous, or so I have found that out. Good luck, and keep me in formed as to what happens. Hugs, and god bless gal

Reply Reply