It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

Mondo2133 HB User
New to the boards, advice needed...uctd and methotrexate

I will try to make this short. 2 years ago I had a foot surgery all went well and then a few months after my daughter fell on it and fractured my foot where the anchors were. Had to have surgery to repair the anchors. I developed a post op infection, CRPS and cellulitis as a result from this surgery in April 2011.

Since then I have chronic pain and my blood work has come back as the following. Ana titer 1:2560 and a speckled pattern. Cpk around 600 give or take about 50 point depending on the draw, severe anemia, low vitamin d, sed rate ranges from 22-40. I know there is more but I can't think of them. My rheumatologist has run all the other blood tests too...the ones run for specific diseases which have all come back negative. In the past I have had positive chromatin tests but that was when. Was seeing a different rheumy who kept telling me it was fibromyalgia. My pcp encouraged me to go to u of m rheumatology becauses he has suspected a connective tissues issue all along and didn't like what he was hearing from the original rheumy.

The new rheumy agreed that something was brewing and dx me with uctd and said that it was very important to put me on methotrexate to gt the autoimmune system under control. Does this make sense to those of you out there who understand this? I have started the drug and felt like crap for 2 days. Will the methotrexate stop the disease in progress or does it put a bandaid on what is happening inside of me. Will it change bloodwork so that they will never get a clear dx for me? Wii the side effects get better?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User
Re: New to the boards, advice needed...uctd and methotrexate

I am not sure about the methotrexate changing bloodwork, but I know that prednisone for me did change my bloodwork to hide things (but it was also effective while I was on it). I think that if the doc is reasonably sure that the methotrexate will help you then you should be happy that at least you have the UCTD diagnosis and go from there. Methotrexate seems to be a strong drug to try first, but often if a DMARD (disease modifying anti-rheumatic drug) is given early, long term prognosis can be a lot better and diseases like RA can actually be put into remission in some cases - so hopefully it is not a band-aid solution but an actual disease modifying one.

Methotrexate I think is known for side effects that can include feeling crummy. I know methotrexate can be given orally or by injection and sometimes the side effects can differ for each method. I am not sure if they get better over time or not.

Good luck and I hope you find some relief and answers soon!

Reply Reply