It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
(female)

bellaboo123 HB User
IgA deficiency

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone can advise further on what the above is?

I have been told I am IgA deficient with a level of 0.3. My GP gave me some info about what it is and that it can't be picked up. Does anyone have any further advice about it or any stories about living with it, just so I know what I'm up against? If it helps, I am also iron and vit d deficient (both severely).

I have also been informed (not by dr) that people with IgA deficiency should wear medic alert bracelets/ID? Does anyone know for sure on this, wasn't sure why?

Many thanks for any help anyone can give.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
(male)

Niceguy412010 HB User
Re: IgA deficiency

Hi I myself is Iga deficient totally absent and have been for many years. I have a lot ok knowledge regarding this as I have been investigated thoroughly from multiple immunologists and infectious disease doctors so I am able to offer my opinion and its effects.

1- it is a life time problem
2- you could potentially have serious medical issues regarding a blood trasfusion as you must be trasfused with somebody who has the same problem
3- you must wear and medic alert bracelet and notify your local blood bank
4- you may need a longer course of antibiotics to treat infections
5- you are open autoimmune diseases such as psoriatic arthritis or possible rheumatoid arthritis.
6- you should possibly speak with an infectious disease nurse on hand washing procedures
7- if you need to give blood you should advise the lab you are Iga deficient
If you need anymore specific info please feel free to ask
Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

IGA (antibodies) help protect against skin and mucous membrane infections, so GI, GU, respiratory and reproductive tract infections can occur more easily. You should be careful to avoid people with those infections that are contagious, and get immunized against all you can. IGA deficiency can coexist with autoimmune disorders like lupus, which commonly causes B12 and Vit D deficiency as well as anemia. Symptoms of autoimmune disease should be checked out. If frequent infections occur in spite of good preventive measures, like avoidance and good hand washing, immunizations, gamma globulin treatments can be helpful, done thru an immunologist. These are antibodies given IM or IV to boost your immune response against common mucosal infections.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:11 AM   #4
(female)

Marciautoimmune HB User

I was diagnosed with hypogammaglobulinemia over 5 years ago. I have have been treated with Intravenous Immune Globulin or IVIG all this time, and for the rest of my life. With this problem, your biggest risk is upper respiratory infection, so, I call my doctor at the first sign of a cold. You are allowed immunizations like a flu shot which is a MUST. No live vaccines are allowed such as the vaccine for Shingles. Always ask before any immunization to be sure. I also have multiple autoimmune diseases to go along with hypogammaglobulinemia, sometimes also called Common Variable Immune Deficiency Syndrome or CVID.

You need to be treated by an immunologist. My immunologist is also an allergist. If you live near a medical center which is connected to a medical school, please see someone there. They are usually up-to-date on anything to do with your diagnosis.

There is bad news, however,with CVID, you are more likely, than others, to develop a certain type of Lymphoma. Please don't get discouraged. Medical science makes treatment advances just about everyday.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-16-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Reply Reply