HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Immune Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/immune-disorders/)
-   -   bloods. (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/immune-disorders/947649-bloods.html)

zipster 04-26-2013 08:30 AM

bloods.

I saw an immunologist a few weeks ago and had loads of bloods done and i got them today and these were the ones that were raised.
My IGM was slightly raised at 2.65 normal range (0.71 to 2.30)
My anti-ccp was 21.0 normal range (0-7)
Esr was 13 normal range (1-12)
Alanine transaminase was 71 normal range (0-40)
Anyone know what any of these mean?

ladybud 04-26-2013 10:42 AM

Re: bloods.

IGM is one type of antibody or immunoglobulin in blood. It is a general class of antibody, not specific to a particular germ. Your level is a little high but I don't think anyone would make anything of that. The anti-CCP is a sensitive test for rheumatoid arthritis. Yours was clearly elevated to a significant level. ESR is an inflammatory index, and high levels just show inflammation in body. It is a non specific test but can be elevated in RA. ALT is a liver enzyme and muscle enzyme. Yours is elevated, but not clear as to why. It may need to be repeated with some other liver enzymes to get a better idea of why it is elevated. Alcohol can do that, among many other things, so if a repeat is done, I would avoid alcohol between now and then to see if it comes down. Also excess Tylenol can do this if you are taking it for pain frequently.

zipster 04-26-2013 10:49 AM

Thankyou.
A gastroenterologist has took further bloods to see why my ALT was raised because it was 94 a month ago so it has gone down slightly to 71. I have had an ultrasound scan and everything was ok.
I have cfs/m.e so the immunologist just thought the others were insignificant really and didnt suggest any other diagnosis.

ladybud 04-26-2013 10:59 AM

I would see a rheumatologist and take your test results with you. RA causes significant fatigue, so it may be you have developed something more specific that CFS. RA at least can be treated, and a rheum is the Dr to do that. The ALT could be from gall bladder trouble, if you have any symptoms suggestive of that. The GI Dr should be able to get that sorted out for you.

zipster 04-26-2013 11:09 AM

I saw a rheumatologist last year because my rheumatoid factor was high but she said i had no signs of RA and people can have high readings but haven't got it.
I don't know why they have average readings because even when your results come back abnormal they just disregard them anyway and say they are nothing.

ladybud 04-26-2013 11:13 AM

Your symptoms are important in conjunction with the labs. If you have joint pains and stiffness, especially in your hands or feet, I would ask for xrays. Erosions of the joints are diagnostic of RA. A year is long enough to warrant a repeat visit to the rheum if you have developed symptoms over the past year, for re-evaluation.

zipster 04-26-2013 11:20 AM

The rheumatologist did a chest x ray when i saw her, i think it was about 9 months ago and it was ok. Joint stiffness in my hands and feet aren't really my main problem to be honest.

ladybud 04-26-2013 11:25 AM

Any joint pains are significant, even if it isn't your biggest problem or it isn't in your hands and feet.