It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2003, 01:45 PM   #1

Renee016 HB User
Question Stupid Question re: incontinence

Hello, everyone - I have a herniated disc in my neck that is pressing on my spinal cord and causing a bunch of different symptoms. One of the symptoms it can cause is a loss of bladder control which I haven't had until today. My stupid question to anyone who has experienced loss of control, do you know when it happens - do you feel anything or just discover wetness? I want to make sure that this is what it is because if so I need to schedule surgery immediately.
Anyone that can give me info on this subject would be very helpful.

Thank you so much in advance.
Renee
2002 Diagnosed with Epstein-Barr (level was 7+) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)
Post 2/03 - Symptoms returned and worsening. Weakness in my legs is like walking against a 50 mph wind - pain in lower back and all the way down my right leg to the ankle - vertigo, muscle spasms in trunk and legs
7/03 EEG, BAERS and MRI of brain all normal
7/03 MRI of lumbar spine showed mild herniated disc (L4/5) with moderate to severe DDD and edema in the endplates. HOLDING OUT FOR ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT!

Old 02-14-2003, 02:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

franjo HB User
Hi Renee!

I have a neurogenic bladder due to a tethered spinal cord. In my case, I CANNOT void without using self-cathedarization. But oddly enough, I also experience stress incontinence and sudden urge incontinence occasionally. I've never really understood this paradox, they've tried to explain it to me, but I'm still not entirely clear on it.

Anyway, to answer your question (which, by the way, is not dumb), yes I know when it happens, but I constantly worry that I might not be aware of it, so I constantly check every private moment I'm able to sneak in. That's more of an obsession based in fear, I think.

Under what circumstance did you lose bladder control? Were you aware of it happening? It may not be related to the herniated disk at all. It could just be a simple bladder infection that has weakened your responses. But you should definitely ask your doctor. Nerve damage to the spine and bladder function loss often go hand in hand.

I need surgery immediately too. At least that's what they told me 6 months ago. I'm still waiting for approval from my ****** HMO.

I hope your solutions are easier than requiring surgery. Ask your neurosurgeon, if you have one. If not, ask for a referral to one if your symptoms continue.....I wish you well....Let me know how it goes in the next week or so. Hopefully, it's just a temporary anomaly........franjo

Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
Lumbar fusion-1968
Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
Femoral osteotomy-1971
Tethered cord release-1987
Rod removal-1987
Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
Tethered cord release-2003
Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2003, 08:13 AM   #3

Renee016 HB User
Hi Franjo Thank you for your reply. I think I've seen your name on the spinal board.

I have three herniated cervical discs, one which is pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression). I've been experiencing weakness in my legs with tingling in my feet and different sensations and pain in my thighs. I've also had some numbness and achiness in the unmentionable area but no bladder problems unitl yesterday. I did not know when it happened, did not feel anything - I just discovered it.

Actually today I just scheduled surgery with a nuerosugeon and I'm going for an anterior discectomy on the 24th of this month. What fun, huh?! Have you had any surgery?

Take care,
Renee

------------------
1982 Fusion surgery for scoliosis with stainless steel Harrington Rod (T5 - L3) using pelvic bone for grafting
1999 Neck problems began
2001 Cervical Kyphosis
2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling and burning - diagnosed with myelopathy and anterior cervical discectomy recommended.
Still looking for surgeon.
2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)
Post 2/03 - Symptoms returned and worsening. Weakness in my legs is like walking against a 50 mph wind - pain in lower back and all the way down my right leg to the ankle - vertigo, muscle spasms in trunk and legs
7/03 MRI of lumbar spine showed mild herniated disc (L4/5) with moderate to severe DDD and edema in the endplates. HOLDING OUT FOR ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT!

Old 02-15-2003, 12:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

franjo HB User
Renee,

This next surgery will be my 16th. Some of them were not related to my spinal problems, but, let's see....seven of them were. I spent alot of time at Shriner's Hosp. as a kid. Not as much time as most of those kids do though.

I have spina-bifida with scoliosis and a dysplastic (sp) hip. I sound like a shipwreck, but really most days I do okay. Lately it's been pretty tough dealing with the symptoms of the tethered cord. Even though I've had all these things all my life, it wasn't until recently that I began perceiving myself as having a disability. It sucks.

I also had the Herrington's for 20 yrs. I regret letting them take them out. I MISS MY RODS!

The wonderful people on these boards help to make it all a little more bearable. Lots of encouragement and hopeful stories here. It also helps to keep me humble and not feel too sorry for myself on those bad days.

I'm happy to hear that you've been able to set that surgery date for so soon. Hopefully the bladder symptoms will improve. I have to admit, I don't know a whole lot about discectomies or nerve problems in the cervical area, but I always thought that bladder/bowel problems were the result of nerve damage in the lumbar area. But that's probably because that's the information I'm surrounded by with my own condition. I sure do hope your surgery goes well and that improvement is on its way. Keep us posted.....

Take Care,

franjo

[This message has been edited by franjo (edited 02-15-2003).]
Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Lumbar fusion-1968
Femoral osteotomy-1971
Rod removal-1987

Old 02-15-2003, 10:00 AM   #5

Renee016 HB User
Hi, again. My goodness, you've had a lot of surgery. I'm sorry, I don't know what a tethered cord is. I also have the Harrington rod for scoliosis - still there. This is why I can't have an MRI on my lower back. My doctor did mention that my symptoms could be caused by problems in the lumbar spine but they could just as well be caused by the herniated cervical disc. Since the only way they could check my back is with a myelogram and the disc in my neck is shot anyhow, they feel it's best to go with the surgery and if it doesn't relieve my symptoms they'll take a look at the lower back. In other words, either way I would still need the surgery on my neck. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

When do you expect to go for surgery again and what type of procedure will you have?

Renee

Old 02-24-2003, 10:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

franjo HB User
Renee,

I must've missed your last post, sorry my response is so late. And you had your surgery today! I know you won't see this for awhile, but I wanted you to be able to see, when you get back 'on line', that you are being thought of and prayed for. I do hope it all goes well for you. I'll be looking for your recovery story in the spinal or back boards. God Bless and Speedy Recovery!!!!

-franjo

Lumbar fusion-1968
Femoral osteotomy-1971
Rod removal-1987

Closed Thread