It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2004, 08:51 AM   #1
(female)

Runner2217 HB User
Is this incontinence??? PLEASE HELP

Hello everyone,
Does anyone have some stool that "leaks out" AFTER a bowel movement? I'm scared that this may be incontinence, but I assumed incontinence was stool leaking out before a BM. It's not a lot that leaks out, just a small amount of:::sorry to be gross::: brownish liquid and tiny pieces of stool. I wipe totally clean, so I know it's not a lack of hygiene. Does anyone have any suggestions/answers/advice? Thanks.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:58 AM   #2

teenqueen HB User
Re: Is this incontinence??? PLEASE HELP

I'm not sure, but have you had constipation recently? Sometimes with severe constipation the soft stool can leak out around a hard lump of feaces. I dunno. Just a suggestion.
Tina xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2004, 11:02 AM   #3
(female)

Runner2217 HB User

Hi Tina,
Thanks for the reply. No, I have not had constipation recently. From prior surgeries, I have skin tags, but they were never a problem. Right now I have an anal fissure, but I can't see whereas that would be the cause of it. Do you think an anal fissure could cause "leakage" for lack of a better term?
-Natasha

Old 11-09-2004, 12:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

if you have had surgery in the rectal area, it is possible that the muscles around the area could have been affected? If so, and the muscles are weak, that may explain why you are having this leakage. I work with many incontinent patients, usually they either cannot control any bowel movements, don't know they need to go and go anyway w/o a toilet, or they have minor leakage from weakening sphincter muscles. It may be a good idea to see your doctor: if surgery was not the culprit, then you need to find out what is. Good luck to you!

Old 11-09-2004, 01:10 PM   #5
(female)

Runner2217 HB User

I've had surgery in that area, but supposedly (based on manometry and ultrasound results), the muscle wasn't damaged. With your incontinent patients that have leakage, is it all the time? before a bm? after one? I don't have this leakage immediately before a bm, it's just after...that's what seems strange to me.

Thank you for your response.
-Natasha

Last edited by Runner2217; 11-09-2004 at 01:12 PM.

Old 11-09-2004, 03:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

it all depends on the patient. Some leak a little just before, others after. Some leak and don't even have a bm. Have you called your doctor?

Old 11-11-2004, 07:47 PM   #7
(female)

Runner2217 HB User

I've spoken with the doctor many times about it and for some reason, he doesn't seem too concerned about the whole thing, which bothers me even more because if there's anything we can do to fix it, I'm willing to do it...operations, anything. When you say they "leak" a little before or after, or even in between bms...have they told you how much leaks out? With me, throughout the day I get about a dime-sized drop of brown wetness.
Thanks for your response and information,
Natasha

Closed Thread