It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2006, 08:03 AM   #1
(female)

lizabug HB User
Question Can hbp meds cause incontinence?Lenin could you weigh in on this?

Hi all,

I have a question that seems kind of weird. Could hbp meds cause incontinence? I have never had this problem until recently. It seemed to start when I started to take Procardia. When I stopped these meds due to side effects the incontinence stopped. I was swithced to Atenolol and yesterday I experienced it again. It wasn't one of those cases where you have held yourself until you feel as if you will explode or anything. I felt a slight urge and took a step and it happened. I know that I am having a hard time adjusting to this medicine due to extreme fatigue setting in. I have been waking up with headaches that tend to remain most of the day. Even after lots of sleep I still wake feeling tired. I am also becoming breathless at times. Stairs are becoming a problem due to a feeling of weakness. I have also started to have some pain in my left shoulder and my left hand sometimes feels funny and even has swollen to the point of having to remove my ring. Am I crazy or has anyone else experienced any of these symptoms while taking this medication? Does it get any better if I continue to take this medicine or will it only get worse? Please help if you can, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Liz

Old 02-16-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: Can hbp meds cause incontinence?Lenin could you weigh in on this?

Hello Liz,

I had those side effects with Cozaar and Atacand, ARBs, I felt that I'm a dead man walking, speaking, thinking and living . I felt so bad but you know not all people who have used Cozaar and Atacand had those side effects and I have seen posts from men and women who said that they have no side effects from that group.

Anyway, I have used Zebeta which is a Beta-Blocker like Atenolol and I didn't experience those side effects but I think it caused depression and effected my mood a lot.

I'm using Cardiazim SR 90 twice daily which is CCB like Procardia and you know what I think that this is the best medication I have ever been on, No side effects except nightmares at night and maybe blurred vision but because I have depression I can't be sure that those symptoms are related to Cardiazim.

So BB and CBB didn't cause to me any of the side effects that you mentioned and because everyone is different you should try another drug class. I think that you should try ACE or ARB , I didn't like ARBs and you didn't like BB and CBB so maybe ARBs (or ACEs) will work for you.
Please discuss with your doctor that you want to try an ARB or an ACE. Most doctors try to avoid Beta-Blockers these days as I have seen so talk to him.
Good luck Liz
Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
(female)

lizabug HB User

Michael
Thanks for your input. I have been on lisinopril, Altace, diovan, diovan hct, toporol xl, back to diovan, sular, procardia and now atenolol. I seldom take medication as I have rarely been ill, therefore I seem to experience a greater amount of side effects related to meds. I felt better before I went to the doctor than I do at this time. I just want to feel "normal" again. I didn't experience my extremeties being swollen to the point of pain, extreme fatigue, breathlessness, etc... until I started taking all of this medication. When I am off these I have energy and I feel pretty good. I am a teacher so that may play a part in my blood pressure problem. The only thing that baffles me is that my blood pressure was always normal and then one day it shot up and has remained up unless I take medication or when I am out of school. My cholesterol has gone up and it seemed to stay in the same range until I started with the meds. I am extremely suspicious of all of this (meds and symptoms). So far I haven't been satisfied with explanations and treatments from doctors. I realize they are human and not God so they can't be 100% exact but something has got to give somewhere .

Old 02-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Liz,

I have tried more than 10 Meds until I found that Cardiazim is the best for me so I guess the best thing we have to do is to try. Tell me what you have experienced with ARBs and ACEs?
Good luck
Michael

Old 02-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabug
Hi all,

I have a question that seems kind of weird. Could hbp meds cause incontinence? I have never had this problem until recently. It seemed to start when I started to take Procardia. When I stopped these meds due to side effects the incontinence stopped. I was swithced to Atenolol and yesterday I experienced it again. It wasn't one of those cases where you have held yourself until you feel as if you will explode or anything. I felt a slight urge and took a step and it happened. I know that I am having a hard time adjusting to this medicine due to extreme fatigue setting in. I have been waking up with headaches that tend to remain most of the day. Even after lots of sleep I still wake feeling tired. I am also becoming breathless at times. Stairs are becoming a problem due to a feeling of weakness. I have also started to have some pain in my left shoulder and my left hand sometimes feels funny and even has swollen to the point of having to remove my ring. Am I crazy or has anyone else experienced any of these symptoms while taking this medication? Does it get any better if I continue to take this medicine or will it only get worse? Please help if you can, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Liz

Liz,

If you are feeling breathless and weak, then UNDOUBTABLY it is the Atenolol. It weakens the heart and slows it down and alot of your side affects are from it. I doubt that this will get better if you continue taking it. How much are you on? I find that just 1/4 of a 25Mg. tablet is very powerful and I sometimes can do quite good on a low dose. Perhaps you might wish to split whatever it is you take and see if it helps, as you may be gettng to much.

As to the incontinence...nothing surprizes me. If you JUST STARTED having this after starting BP meds then, of course, the meds are causing it, that is, if you know this for sure and it was not BEFORE the meds. BUT you may wish to check for a urinary tract infection as well, very common for women.

And headaches...yes...how well I know.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

My mother was first prescribed procardia back in 1990 after an operation. She stated on it for seven yrs and then was switched to prinivil. She had side effects when she first started the procardia but didn't know it. She had nightmare and broke out in welts from head to toe. Of course, she continued the procardia (she didnt know about side effects then) and all this went away. She stayed on prinivil/zestril for six yrs until she became allergic.

Sometimes you can have side effects but not realize that is what it is. Toprol xl which is like procardia and atenolol is a bb as well. it caused my mom to suffer depression, which was new to her.I would be very careful with bb meds. I just read in my Diabete Care magazine that bb can also elevate glucose. It said that Cardiazem (sp?) was the only bb that didn't elevate glucose and controled bp well.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes I can say that Cardiazim is one of the best High BP Medications I have been on
Michael

Old 02-17-2006, 05:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Incontinence, eh.

It doesn't surprise me because beta-blockers cause a decrease in the muscle tone of some of the involuntary muscles of the body. The bladder sphincter might be affected likewise.

I have noticed if I take a beta-blocker after not having taken one in several weeks, the first pill or two causes a HUGE diuresis...which would double the problem.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
(female)

lizabug HB User

I forgot that I have also been on cardizem. It caused a lot swelling and fatigue. I split the 25 mg pill in half yesterday when I took it. I still feel tired but not as much as before. I was on another beta blocker in the beginning but I can't remember the name. It really did a number on me. I couldn't remember from one day to the next the name of my students. I was extremely cold even in 70 degree weather and the front of my head felt really weird. I can't even describe it. I felt that if I could pop the front of my forehead off and clean it out I would feel better. My doctor said this was all due to the meds. This has been an awful roller coaster ride and I want to get off. I just can't tolerate meds well at all. I am experiencing extreme constipation with atenolol as well. I have to take four stool softners a day in order to have a bowel movement and being so full all the time makes me sick as well. I just realized that talking about bowel movements is pretty gross and personal and for some reason I can't help but laugh . I do apologize to anyone this may offend but it seems that meds really affect me in all the wrong way.

Old 02-17-2006, 07:01 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
I forgot that I have also been on cardizem. It caused a lot swelling and fatigue. I split the 25 mg pill in half yesterday when I took it. I still feel tired but not as much as before. I was on another beta blocker in the beginning but I can't remember the name. It really did a number on me. I couldn't remember from one day to the next the name of my students. I was extremely cold even in 70 degree weather and the front of my head felt really weird. I can't even describe it. I felt that if I could pop the front of my forehead off and clean it out I would feel better. My doctor said this was all due to the meds. This has been an awful roller coaster ride and I want to get off. I just can't tolerate meds well at all. I am experiencing extreme constipation with atenolol as well. I have to take four stool softners a day in order to have a bowel movement and being so full all the time makes me sick as well. I just realized that talking about bowel movements is pretty gross and personal and for some reason I can't help but laugh . I do apologize to anyone this may offend but it seems that meds really affect me in all the wrong way.

Liz,

To really be honest? I would begin to get off of these right away, or cut them back drastically. Doctors do not always know everything and most often when they give you something it is YOU who has to figure out HOW to use it. They won't babysit you.

Here is m opinion...if I was you I would consider a diuretic. As much trouble that I have had with BP meds I find them the most mild BUT you will have frequent trips to the bathroom for a few hours. So WHEN you take it is important, preferably when you are home in the early evening before bed But with them it is wise to take potassium supplements, a vitamin, or mineral supplement.

Don't do to yourself what I am reading. If you are having that much problem cut these things back or stop and tell your doc you want something very mild or different.And don't stop until you get the right one. I have been through NUMBERS of BP meds and still have TWO on my shelf, in samples, that I never really tried ALONG with prescriptions. I finally came down to 4 that have given me the least problem, but even then I am still trying to figure out that "perfect" dose, what time and so forth.

Old 02-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Liz,

What does your BP run normally? Are you only getting occassional spikes?

The diuretics seem to help occassional spikes really well, to me it does anyway. It is amazing how just getting rid of some excess water drops BP, but it does.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #12
(female)

lizabug HB User

Stumper,
My bp was in the 153/90 range at some points but there have been times when it was 128/74 without meds. I am weaning myself off the atenolol and believe it or not I already feel somewhat better. So far my bp has been 128/74. I realize that it may elevate afterwards when I stop the atenolol. I have bought magnesium, calcium citrate and some vitamins to see if any of these can give me relief without all the side effects. I have been doing some research and from what I have read on this board as well in other sources this could help. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks
Liz

Old 02-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Liz, the hbp supplements should be: potassium, magnesuim and calcium, at least that is what I read in my Heart Monitor magazine. these are supoose to help the heart and lower blood pressure. Good luck.

p.s. have you tried garlic to lower bp.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:40 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Stumper,
My bp was in the 153/90 range at some points but there have been times when it was 128/74 without meds. I am weaning myself off the atenolol and believe it or not I already feel somewhat better. So far my bp has been 128/74. I realize that it may elevate afterwards when I stop the atenolol. I have bought magnesium, calcium citrate and some vitamins to see if any of these can give me relief without all the side effects. I have been doing some research and from what I have read on this board as well in other sources this could help. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks
Liz

Liz,

Keep in mind that Atenolol can give you quite a bounce. That is why I have taken very very little. It is really potent. When I went off of it for 4 days once my BP hit 174/130 at the docs office ! Moments later it was 148/90.

But your BP of 153/90 is very similar to mine when I was diagnosed with HBP. I had 150/90.
Tell me something....I bet you feel really good if you are around 130/80, right? I used to feel tremendously good in that range, and I really don't care what the doc says. As a matter of fact I have an alternatve medicine book here and one doc looks to believe that 130/80 is the *perfect blood pressure! ALOT of BP is how we feel at given pressures. Granted , once you get above 140/90 consistently then it needs a little looksy. But it really won't kill us neither, at least not in the short term.

From the meds you posted it looks like you had a little luck with the Diovan? Yes, I tried Diovan once to and on a scale of 1-10 with ten being the best I give it about a 6. I had pretty good luck with it then tried cozaar and to me Cozaar scored a wee bit higher. BUT after a few days, headaches and funny feelings , like you described in my head.

I am now using a little Lasix and Cozaar, Atenolol 1/4 tablet if I get heart palps BUT that Cozaar is acting up again. I might just force myself off of it and use Lasix only at 10 Mg. Duretics are really not to offensive other than bathroom trips.

But your BP runs very similar to mine without meds.

Do you feel it when it hits the 150's a little? I do, especially if I bend over sometimes or work underneath the car. It can be more uncomfortable than anything. I, on occassion got a BP headache without meds. I always felt it was "jumpy" on me. 130/80 one minute....150/90 the next. My guess is that the arteries are losing their elasticity.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:07 PM   #15
(female)

lizabug HB User

Stumper,

Your right, I do feel great when my bp is in the 130/80 range. I have been off the meds for at least four days and have had a consistant range of 120/70 range. I am taking 500 mg of magnesium, two Citrical Plus tablets( I realize this has 80 mg of magnesium as well), one tablet One Source multivitamin without iron, and a teaspoon of cod liver oil each day. I truly believe I am on the right track but I guess time will tell. All I know is the incontinence has stopped, the fatigue is gone, and my head feels so much clearer. I actually have my song back . I have decided that I will do as much as I can with diet and exercise to get this thing under control.

Lane, I have also heard about the potassium and the garlic. I may add them later . Thanks for your input.

Liz

Closed Thread