It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
prolapsed rectum and urinary incontinence

I have had a prolapsed rectum for about a year but have been putting off the surgery because anesthesia often doesn't work for me.
I've also had minor incontinence for about 17 years (since last child born) which has gradually gotten worse.

The doctor I saw for the prolapsed rectum said it was due to muscle weakness, as was the incontinence.

If I get the surgery for the prolapsed rectum (which is supposed to tighten up the muscles in that area) will it fix the urinary problem too?

The Following User Says Thank You to seriousperson For This Useful Post:
elmad (06-16-2012)
Old 04-24-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
(female)

maggiemoo HB User
Re: prolapsed rectum and urinary incontinence

I don't know anything about a prolasped rectum but I suggest you see a urologist that will help figure out the cause of your urinary incontinence. You might need a different procedure done (by a different doctor) but it may all be able to done together so you only have only under anesthesia once.

Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the reply.
Both are caused by the same thing: having 3 children all with pregnancy lasting a week beyond 9 months with labor during that week, followed by long labor.

I was hoping someone else here might have had the same type of situation.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

I realize that is what caused it but you need to find out what where the specific problem is with the incontinence. Is it because the bladder has dropped? Or is more to do with the urthrea (sp)? Or what? I have been through the incontinence. I had to have a couple of procedures done---though all in the same surgery. I would be concerned that you could go through the surgery for the prolaspe and not get any help with the incontinence. The urlogists do several tests to determine exactly what procedures would help. The procedures do work so take the time to get it checked out.

Maggie

Old 04-25-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks , I will.

Closed Thread