It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
(male)

WFrank HB User
Incontinence

I am 14 months post RP and still having incontinence. Continue doing my Kegels daily. Would be interested in others experience in this area. Have any of you with similar problem tried various meds for incontinence?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
(female)

Liane HB User
Re: Incontinence

Hi. My husband had a radical prostatectomy two years ago and had a tough time. It seems now that he had a reaction to the latex catheter, and it caused lots of scar tissue. He had several blockages and many scopes, and we spent the first few weeks after the catheter was removed trying to get him to pee again. Then once everything settled down he was incontinent. For the past year he has been on oxybutinin(5mg) and imipramine(10mg). He started with a bit larger of a dose and then adjusted it to the dosage he now has. They are a great help and he has very little incontinence. He does use a light pad, but mostly just for security. There don't seem to be any side effects of the medication. At the time of the surgery we wondered if things would ever be back to normal. So even with you at 14 months, don't be discouraged, because things may yet improve.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2006, 05:21 AM   #3
(male)

rabnud HB User

Good chain,
I had my catheter out yesterday. Abosolutely dry while sleepeing(although I need to get up every 2 hrs.) Also while setting down. Dribble badly while walking although with enough concentration can stop flow while standing and it stays stopped. How does this compare with others experience? My catheter was in 8 days and drove me crazy.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
(male)

WFrank HB User

Appreciate the feedback and encouragement. I have a followup with my uro next week and will inquire about the meds.

It seems there is a correlation between the size of the prostate and the degree of incontinence after RP. Larger prostates require more reconstruction of the bladder neck. Do you recall your uro telling you the size of your prostate? Mine was 80 cm(?) and a normal is about 25.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
(male)

Ron Z HB User

I had RRp at age 49 - 3 years ago. I am fairly continent - problems occur when I am lifting something off the floor, I am startled and generally do a lot of physically hard work, which is seldom.

At first, I felt the need to go FREQUENTLY! I got past that. I have to wear brief underwear that contains lycra or spandex to keep me pointed up and secure. If I try boxers or any style that offers freedom, I leak? Go Figure -

Oh well - impotence prevails - glad to be continent - most of the time.

I wonder with age where it will go - I am young, only 52.

Closed Thread