It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
(female)

dumbunn HB User
Stress incontinence.

For the last few years, at least, I've had urinary incontinence with coughing, sneezing, running, even heavy lifting. For another problem, I had a D&C and when Dr. called with good biopsy results, I finally asked about stress incontinence. She said there are tests they do in the office to determine for sure what type of incontinence it is and even briefly discussed surgery. I have appointment with her in a few weeks and am getting my questions ready. But, has anyone else had this problem, had the surgery, anything? I do plan on asking if taking estrogen or other medicine would help but from what I've seen online and literature she sent me, those don't help with stress incontinence. I even thought my weight may be a problem but she said no. I'm 5'6", weigh 185 pounds, and 52 years old. I've never been pregnant so those muscles aren't weakened by childbirth. I even got in the habit of crossing my legs if I feel a sneeze/cough, etc. coming on, that is if no one is around to see me. I'm worried about the tests she'll do in the office as I've read about those online and I'm not even sure if it would be worth it to even have the tests with the embarrassment. Does stress incontinence get worse after menopause? Has anyone just "learned to live with it" or have any input at all for me? Thank you.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User
Re: Stress incontinence.

Hi!

I was having a lot of trouble with stress incontinence. I had a bladder sling procedure & hysterectomy and it has definitely improved my quality of life. I am post-menopausal, birthed 2 kids. Everything was sagging, including my bladder. Don't be embarrassed - the doctor sure isn't.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 04:34 AM   #3
(female)

dander HB User

Hi, I had a tvt sling procedure done in Sept 2006 and although I don't leak anymore, I have pain that the Dr. can't seem to fix. It's almost 5 mos now. So be careful before thinking about surgery.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
(female)

2005djb HB User

dumbunn,
I just had my uterus removed and my bladder lifted, Nov. 6, 2006. My obgyn has been monitoring my incontinence for about 2 years now. I'm 49. It was explained to me that you can be born with weak ligaments/tendons that support your pelvic organs. Mine was the birth of my twins 29 years ago, so my tendons were strained.
The test that I had was a little invasive. Upon visiting the doc's office you empty your bladder and they measure the content. Then you get catherized and they can test your muscle (kegel), they check how much your bladder can hold before you have to run to the bathroom. They can also tell if you empty your bladder fully.
My bladder was dropping into my vagina quite rapidly so I had no choice but to have surgery. This is called a cystocele. (you almost always have rectocele too).
I do wish I would have went to a uyrolgist for an opinion before my surgery. I've read on this forum that a urogynocologist is even better.
If you do have surgery....be prepared to take it very very easy for at least 12 weeks. My doctor said that I could resume normal activity after 8 weeks and know I'm suffering with some set-backs. You need time to have your surgery heal strongly.
Good luck to you.

Closed Thread