It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
(female)

Kaleigh-Ann HB User
Secca Procedure for Gas Incontinence

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here. I have been struggling with chronic constipation since childhood and for the past five years I have been dealing with constant gas and gas incontinence. It sucks because I am only 20 years old and I don't even go out in public because my gas seeps out and I hate having to hear people make comments about how I stink. Anyway, I am going to find a gastroenterologist and have them do a colonoscopy just to be on the safe side even though they probably won't find anything wrong. I am then going to find a colorectal surgeon and see if they can treat me for the gas incontinence. I went to a website and they said that there is an outpatient surgery called the Secca Procedure that can have great results on making the sphincter muscles much stronger so that the gas will be much less likely to seep out. The reason it appeals to me is because the recovery time for this is much quicker than it would be if I just has a sphincteroplasty. I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about this procedure and if you have actually had it do you feel that it changed the level of your gas incontinence. Thanks in advance for any help that you can give to me.

P.S. If you need more info on the Secca Procedure go here:
[url]http://www.bowel-incontinence.org/fecal-incontinence-treatments/fecal-incontinence-secca.htm[/url]

Old 04-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User
Re: Secca Procedure for Gas Incontinence

Hi,

All I can say is that I just had a sphincteroplasty repair in January and it is a tough surgery to recover from. I still have some gas leakage after this surgery. I am 3 1/2 mos post op and not fully recovered. I would think twice about surgery, since the rectal area is so sensitive, I have a hard time thinking it will be a quick recovery. (in my opinion) Have you tried increasing your fiber intake to bulk up your stools and make them more regular? If you could get your bm pattern more regular, maybe the gas wouldn't be as much of a problem. I know when I get constipated, I aslo have more gas issues. I know what your going through, it is embarrassing. My is loud, more than smelly which is hard because you can't hide from the noise! Also, have yo tried Beano or any other gas X products? I haven't and was wondering if they would help me out sometimes. I am too chicken to try since my surgery. I hope you are doing better soon
Kelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
(female)

Kaleigh-Ann HB User

I have never tried Beano but I have tried Gas-X and it did absolutely nothing for me. It made no difference. And the weird thing is that I've fasted before and all I had was water to drink for a week to see if I noticed any improvement and I didn't. I still had just as much gas which is making me think that something more than constipation is causing my gas. Because when I use Miralax it cleans me completely out and it makes me go everyday but even then the gas is still constant. I read on one message board that a lady's daughter was having constant gas and they laughed about it at first but then when it got worse she finally took her daughter to a gastro doctor and it turned out to be celiac disease. So maybe I have something like that. I really don't know what is wrong with me at this point but I have made an appointment with a gastroenterologist to have them check. If they don't find anything then I think I may have bowel endometriosis. I have rectal bleeding during menstruation which is one of the main symptoms of bowel endo. So I guess I will just have to keep going to doctors until they can figure it out. By the way, I have heard that sphincter repair surgery is very risky. So I may ask about the Secca procedure to see if I can get that instead. Well, good luck with your recovery! I hope you feel better!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
(female)

Clancey HB User

Hi Kaleigh,

Beautiful name, it's also my daughters name. I also suffered from the same problem as you do. Have you been to the gastro-enterologist yet? What has he told you? I went to see one about the same problem hoping the Secca Procedure would work. He told me that that is only done as a last resort, if surgery hasn't worked.
I do have more information, but its too long to type out tonight, and also your problem might already be solved. Let me know.
Take care,
Clancey

Closed Thread