It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
(female)

dumbunn HB User
Stress incontinence, sling surgery, pros and cons, any success stories?

I've had stress urinary incontinence for 5-6 years, now age 52. Have seen urologist two times with lots of questions, had exam, cystoscopy, and she's recommending sling surgery for hypermobile urethra. After very very much thought, I've agreed to the surgery but am quite worried. The incontinence happens with coughing, sneezing, heavy lifting, running, but not each and every time. But I feel so demeaning, dirty, and have learned to hate myself when those episodes happen. I asked my Dr. if I was jumping the gun in agreeing to surgery and thought maybe I should wait until past menopause. She said she could see how frustrated and upset I am about this when talking to her and she feels it would improve my quality of life. My husband says the same thing, if it bothers me so bad, it's time to do something. I've read so many horror stories on the net about this surgery, and a few positive outcomes, but sure would like to hear more positives. Dr. did tell me to take with a grain of salt everything I read on the net. Medical sites that I've been to, such as this one, are very informative and helpful, but I'd like to hear from women who actually had the surgery and their experiences. I'm afraid of having the surgery, then having more trouble afterwards and being worse than I was to begin with.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
(female)

pink2813 HB User
Re: Stress incontinence, sling surgery, pros and cons, any success stories?

I know this is a year old post, but how did your surgery go? I'm having mine in a few days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User

I had mine done in 2000 and it is still working great. TVT ---trans vaginal tape. It holds the urethra tight when you sneeze or cough,lift ect.....I was home in 4 hours and was not really in pain at all, if I did not lift anything. Was back to work in a week. Office job..

Let me know how yours goes....

Old 03-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User

OOPs forgot to mention.......after surgery I had a catheter and before I could go home, they injected it with saline and made sure I could pee....If not you had to go home with it. That is a problem for some....

Old 03-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
(female)

glynnie67 HB User

Please, please let me know how this goes. I am 67 and really want to do it, but my doctor will not or can not put me in touch with anyone who has had it because of privacy issue. I rfeally want to do it, but am reluctant to do so before hearing from someone who has successfully come through this recently. Thanks, I hope it all went well for you and look forward to hearing from you

Old 03-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User

You will never regret having it done. Believe me. No more pads and wet pants from coughing , lifting ect. I was 55 when I had mine done...It was the best thing I ever did for myself......

Keep us posted...

Closed Thread