It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
(male)

LB37 HB User
Incontinence . . a continuation

I'm a fairly new member, have read most of the postings on (and posted just a few times on) the "Incontinence bad 3 weeks after surgery" thread. That thread has become so long I thought perhaps a new continuation thread might be in order. Hope that is not inapprorpiate . . .

First some background: My recovery from da Vinci surgery (performed May 4th) was perhaps a bit atypical. The surgery itself I was told went just fine, envolved the removal of some 13 lymph nodes in addition to the usual and took 5 hours. My drain was not removed for about 10 days because of urine contamination of the draining fluid. My catheter was not removed until 4 weeks following surgery (due to an unexpected bulge in my bladder) and at present I am am 3 days in to antibiotics for a urinary infection. Until the drain was removed, I had a lot of abdominal discomfort, enough to mask discomfort in the urethra & rectum. Once the drain was remove, much of the abdominal pain subsided and utheral & rectal pain was front and center. Since the catheter was removed, the urethral and rectal pain has lessoned but is still noticeable.

Prior to my surgery I can remember thinking that the surgery would be easy, that the real work would start after the surgery was over. Having now watched the ~2 hour internet video of a da Vinci surgery (compliments of the videoed surgery on one of the posters), and observed all the tissue dissruption, I can well immagine my symptoms and those of varing degrees of others. Clearly my doctor did not allude to any of this, and I guess I am glad he did not!

So I am on my third day of no catheter, and so far my incontenence has been fairly minimal, perhaps 1 pad a day (I have been using Depends underwear, probably overkill, but I find them fairly comfortable & very reassuring). I have noted that most of the time when I am not lying down, I am able to keep my spincter muscles semi-tensed. (For what it's worth I did Kegels for 3 months prior to surgery and got to the point where I could hold one for several minutes). I am aware that quite a number of folks are fairly continent for a few days (or even weeks) and then encounter more incontinence difficulties thereafter. We shall see.

Hope starting this new thread as a continuation effort on another thread about incontnence is not inapproriate.

Leo -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
(male)

phantom50 HB User
Re: Incontinence . . a continuation

It is 4 months now after my surgery. I didnt have to use any pads after one month. But I began to leak during the sleep. I am also having an over active bladder. Need to empty every 1 or 2 hours. The stream is still weak. There was a demage to the front of urethra. A scar tissue seems blocking the passage. I dont want to go through another surgery for that. I am hoping it will get better in time. I also feel pain in the penis area at times. That lasts half and hour or so. It is only occasional. I choose not to bother about that too. The prostate surgery itself is enough for the time being.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
(male)

LB37 HB User
Re: Incontinence . . a continuation

Phantom50 -
Boy do I agree in spades that the prostate surgery is more than enough for whole lot of time ! What does your surgeon say about the scar tissue issue: Seems like I have read that it can be corrected with a fairly simple not terribly invasive procedure . . . but no doubt there is the follow-on healing process to be dealt with.
Leo -

Closed Thread