It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

CapBob HB User
Incontinence Setback

A question for the veterans here...

I'm almost three months post catheter after RRP, and had a rough first three weeks using up to seven pads a day, then at the one month mark things improved dramatically, down to one pad every 24 hours. In so much as this thing has been almost as hard on the family as it was me I promised to take the kids to Disneyland once I felt better and dried up. Well, we went and were there for two full days where I walked at least 20 miles each day over two 12 hour days. The end of the second day I really started leaking again, almost as bad as the beginning. After returning home I had a great night's sleep, but even today it's still pretty bad. I have been pretty active since improving, walking a lot, albeit not as much as the last two days. Is this typical, and can I just assume that it's a temporary setback?

TIA

Old 03-10-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
(male)

mauryfromplano HB User
Re: Incontinence Setback

This has got to be a setback IMHO.

The muscles that have taken over the job of urinary control were probably weakened somewhat after such strenuous activity for two days. I suspect that you will be back to your before vacation status quickly.

In my case 8 months post of I am nearly dry during the day except for sports...Tennis especially. Haven't played golf in the last couple of months so it remains to be seen if I stay dry during a round!!!

Don't worry.

Regards,

Mark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

able5 HB User

Don't get discouraged. Your story sounds normal for your post-op time frame. General fatigue has a whole lot to do with incontinence within the first 12 months. Too much of any activity, walking, running, yardwork, touring Disney World, swimming, etc., causes the whole body to want to relax. That also includes your lower abdominal floor muscles. I experienced the same thing in my first 12 months. Today, I still have some moments where I squirt a little but I'm leaps and bounds ahead of where I was 12 months ago. My experience has been slow and gradual, leveling off for short periods, then slow and gradual again. The good part for me is that it's always been a positive experience. Sounds to me like you hit a "leveling off" period as your body takes a breath and gets ready for the next growth period. Keep the faith, it does get better!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

CapBob HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by able5 View Post
Don't get discouraged. Your story sounds normal for your post-op time frame. General fatigue has a whole lot to do with incontinence within the first 12 months. Too much of any activity, walking, running, yardwork, touring Disney World, swimming, etc., causes the whole body to want to relax. That also includes your lower abdominal floor muscles. I experienced the same thing in my first 12 months. Today, I still have some moments where I squirt a little but I'm leaps and bounds ahead of where I was 12 months ago. My experience has been slow and gradual, leveling off for short periods, then slow and gradual again. The good part for me is that it's always been a positive experience. Sounds to me like you hit a "leveling off" period as your body takes a breath and gets ready for the next growth period. Keep the faith, it does get better!
Thanks fellas. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it improves.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
(male)

mudrunner HB User

IMHO getting to a single pad day in just one month indicates a great potential for achieving complete control in significantly less than a year. It may seem to you at a four month point that looking out eight more equals infinity, but believe me, it’s not.

Seven plus years on 2-5 pads 24/7 has shown me that a daily, consistent and regular exercise program does help (in many ways) to strengthen all abdominal muscles. What often causes (my) pad count to jump significantly is going way beyond the normal routine or trying to come back up too quickly to “normal” fitness after a chemo round.

I for one, would be very much surprised at anyone NOT getting a big spillage spike after two days of standing/walking so soon after a RRP.

Closed Thread