It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
(female)

felinesque HB User
Anyone with fecal incontinence?

Hi Everyone,

I have a wide host of problems, some of which are neurological in nature, others are just random. My Mum thinks that I might have fibromyalgia, my doctor thinks it's MS but MRI's haven't shown any lesions.

I'm suffering from bowel incontinence which my doctors cannot find the cause of. If my stools are very loose, which they often are, I can't always control when they are excreted and once they start coming out, I can't stop them. I have to wear adult nappies and have had 3 accidents this week alone.

I also have nausea, cramping in the colon area (similar to when I'm constipated), bloating, gas etc. I have been told I have IBS, so it could just be bad IBS - but sometimes I feel like that diagnosis is more of a "well, we don't know what else is wrong" thing in my case.

Is this something that is common with fibromyalgia patients, or not? Trying to find answers as I'm getting mightily sick of it!

Hope you are doing well with all your symptoms. I can relate to your frustrations!

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
(female)

fibrohurts HB User
Re: Anyone with fecal incontinence?

I'm sorry you are going through so much with your bowels!
IBS is VERY common with fibromyalgia patients. So it is quite possible this is what you have.
A lot of people find changes in diet really help with IBS.
There are a lot of great websites that will give you tips on what diet changes are best to make. As well as, a lot of people on here can tell you.
Personally, if i have IBS it's not severe, so i've made no diet changes yet.
Irratable bladder affects me more and is also quite common with fibro.
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
(female)

Moonlady HB User

Thankfully, I don't have the incontinence but I have terrible upper stomach bloating, lower stomach cramps (and it is not period related because I had a hyst 10 years ago), Constipation but not the pebble type constipation... just a hard time going, diarrhea every now and then, nausea and a feeling of fullness even when I am hungry. I used to have a terrible problem with gas but now I wish I could pass it more often because then I feel like I would feel better.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
(female)

felinesque HB User

Yeah, it could be IBS/Fibro causing it ... I'm thinking of getting another colonoscopy done or other tests to check my rectum and anus. Maybe might even see a surgeon to see if there is a way of fixing it. I don't know anyone else with IBS who poops their pants like me (my Mum has it pretty bad as does my best friend)

Old 06-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
(female)

Ishla HB User

Unfortunately, I too have had this problem off and on. I don't have to worry about poopin' the pants, but some days, I have what I call seepage. I have IBS/Fibro, among other things, but the hardest thing for me is the cramping and diareah after any meal I eat. Within 20 minutes of eating even a small meal, I am rushing to the bathroom for 10 minutes of gross agony. I attribute this incontinence to a prolapsed colon and a dropped bladder. At 28, I had to have a hysterectomy because of a pretty bad uterine prolapse. My cervix was so low most of the time that it was extending outside my body... and though the surgeon tried to give my bladder some re-enforcement.. he said it would eventually fall again.. which it has of course. I have a family history of this pelvic prolapse though.. Grandma, Mom, and me. One thing that helps me with both the cramping and diareah, and the seeping fun, is fiber from nuts. Specifically pecans, but until I can get used to my new dentures, the nuts will have to wait. Wish Zelnorm had not been a recalled drug... it was so wonderful for the few months that I was taking it.

Last edited by Ishla; 06-26-2008 at 08:00 PM. Reason: missed the age

Old 06-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
(female)

figmo HB User

I too have this same problem, not constant but more often than I like, I also have same problem with urination, I am using Depends and feeling like a baby. I recently had a colonoscopy, they found a lesion that I have to have surgically removed because it is flat and they could't get the thing, it is precancerous so will need to take care of it soon, first they have to get the fibro under control, they also found that I have endometro.but have found nothing that would indicate that it if related. Unfortunately it must just be a problem with the fibro. Keep your sense of humor and hope it goes away, like it came. God bless.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

IBS is a common FMS complaint. What helped me to overcome this symptom (same incontinence problem - yuck!), was to go on an Atkins-type diet. Hypoglycemia is also a common side effect of FMS and in its chronic stages, it can cause diarrhea and all the other 'lovely' symptoms that come with it. After about 6 weeks on a low-carb diet, you may find you are doing better down south, plus you may have a lot more energy.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 06-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
(female)

kellibear HB User

i would try taking a good probiotic supplement--it replaces the good bacteria in the intestines and will do wonders for ibs!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
(female)

jingwa86 HB User

I used to have it badly, now it just is a rare occurance. I just quit eating much, once every 2 or three days. I know it's not good for me, but, I just don't feel hungry anymore. Probably not a good sign, huh? My sister has pretty much the same thing I have, Fibro, Restless Leg, IBS, she has propblems with this also. I have had to stop on the side of the road in daylight and night to poop. It's terrible. I have also been in traffic and had to poop my pants in the car. Thank goodness I haven't had that problem in a couple of years.

I feel your pain. I know I need to find a way to deal with it better than not eating, my teeth are starting to go bad because I don't get the proper vitamins and minerals and the meds leech out calcium out of our bodies.

Take care, and good luck!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I have suffered with this problem for many years. It kind of waxes and wanes just like the FMS and IBS I have. I know that it was one of the main reasons I could not go outside my home for many months at a time. I have had IBS and colon polyps for over 25 years, so I have had my share of the routine colonoscopies and tried just about every med under the sun. I have routinely carried clothes with me anytime I leave my home for years and I know where every bathroom in every office, store, etc that I frequent is. It is a problem for sure that I feel is compounded by the IBS. Sometimes, you just do not have any warning whatsoever.

Things that have helped me either biologically or otherwise include: carrying extra clothes and supplies with me everywhere I go; wearing stretchy nylon type underwear (seems to give you a little extra time for a mad dash); eating yogurt religiously; leaving off any lactose products; and watching my diet for spicy foods; taking Immodium prophylactically as needed; and trying to remain calm and not stress about my condition (easier said than done). A heating pad to the abdomen also helps with the accompanying cramps and bloating.

I do believe all these syndromes are connected in some way. It seems that many of us that have had IBS and any muscular or neuro problem seem prone to this occurance. I fully understand the frustration and embarrassment that is common with this problem. I am glad that my own instances are less now than have been at times. I do think that stress plays a big part in triggering spells of incontinence/IBS symptoms. So try not to dwell on it and let it control your life. You are not alone with your misery. I do understand.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
(female)

ang4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichellmcknight View Post
Please look into the secca procedure... Its worth a try... My mother just had it she's been dealing with fecal incontinence for years now and this has finally come along...
Thanks for the post though America is too far away for me

Closed Thread