HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Incontinence (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/incontinence/)
-   -   Incontinence after prostate removal (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/incontinence/652641-incontinence-after-prostate-removal.html)

ed4353 11-28-2008 05:19 PM

Incontinence after prostate removal

Hello all...
Is there any reason why I should not use a Texas Catheter instead of pads, to deal with incontinence after prostate removal? I have used them for a short time, and it's a whole lot better than wet pads. They allow me to live a much more normal life, but I have not read anything saying the Texas Catheter is a way to deal with the incontinence. All discussion I have read only mentions pads, or absorbent pants.
Thank you for your time.
Ed

flyfisher37 11-30-2008 09:02 AM

Re: Incontinence after prostate removal

Hi Ed,

The incontinence issue can be a real area of concern after surgery. It was one thing that I thought most about before my surgery.

I did however, practise the Keagel exercises every day from morning to night before the surgery, probably for about 2 months before.

After the surgery, I only had to wear a pad for 2 weeks. When my urologist first removed the catheter after the surgery ( 2 weeks ), I leaked all over the place. I thought all those exercises were for nothing, but it was only a matter of days before I could control it long enough to get to the bathroom. After that, it just kept getting better and better until , as I mentioned, I didn't need the pad at all. Mind you, I did have a couple of accidents ( when I sneezed or laughed ) until I had total control.

So I guess the only advice I can offer is to do those exercises until you ache. Apparently they do work.

Take care....Lionel

Joe0728 12-01-2008 12:06 PM

I'm not sure what that device is but I was told by my Uro after surgery to do the Kegels and wear the pads. I used less and less each month and now at 10 months I am pad free so the advice paid off for me.

mudrunner 12-02-2008 08:41 AM

Ed4353,

The condom type catheters are not generally recommended because (supposedly) they lead to urinary tract infections and skin problems. Iíve never tried them so canít say if thatís true. Iíve been on pads 24/7 for over 8 years and CAN tell you that constant exposure to urine does cause skin problems. Itís been a constant battle to keep fungal irritation under control. On the other hand, Iíve had very few tract infections on the pads. I think itís pretty much a matter of choice and experience. If it works for youÖgo for it. After countless medical interventions to fix my incontinence I can tell you that very few MDís have personal experience on the receiving end so, you should always be a little skeptical about their opinions and recommendations.

As to the Kegels and all other things medical, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnít. I went thru 6 weeks of bio-feedback to learn how to do them correctly. Take my expensively educated word for it, most guys do them incorrectly. Without those little electrodes stuck up your backside itís very difficult to identify the correct muscle set that needs to be tuned up. Even with this I couldnít stop the leaks. I think the critical thing is to have minimal damage done during the surgery. After that itís pretty much a crap shoot on whoís going to be dry.

flyfisher37 12-02-2008 09:54 AM

Hi Mudrunner,

You are absolutely right about most of us guys not doing the Kegal exercises correctly. When I first started doing them, it didn't seem to be doing any good at all, at least it felt like nothing was happening. But then I happened to meet someone like ourselves who had a radical prostatectomy and he did very well after surgery with the method he practised.

I will try to be as delicate as possible with this explanation and I certainly don't mean to offend anyone. He told me to imagine that I had to pass gas in the worst way and to contract my butt muscles and pelvic muscles as if I was trying to prevent that from happening. it worked for me. The other stuff I had read about doing Kegal exercises just didn't make it as plain and simple as it could have been.

Of course, what you say is quite true about the end result of the incontinence issue. Some guys will get control back and some won't. Three of my personal friends have all had RPs and two of them have good control and the third one has had to wear a pad for almost 2 years now.

Something to think about.....Lionel

ed4353 12-03-2008 03:04 AM

I talked with my urologist about this last night. He said there is no harm in using a Texas catheter, other than the risk of infection, and skin rash. But, with good hygene, that can be minimized. Also, how healthy can letting my penis sit in a soggy pad for 24 hours be, as opposed to the risks with the catheter. Infection and skin rash is a problem with any method. I personally am MUCH more comfortable with the catheter. I've been using them for 2 weeks now, drink lots of cranberry juice (I now own stock in Ocen Spray...), and am very diligent about keeping things clean, and medicated to avoid skin rash and infection.
As for the exercises, I am working on them constantly, and am hoping to see results soon. I think I can now cut bolts with my butt. The ultimate goal here is to be independent of pads, catheter, and anything else needed to correct/cope with the incontinence.
Thank you for the replies.
Ed