It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
(male)

treestand HB User
incontinence after prostate surgery

hi iam new to this board it caught my eye because i have just had prostate removal because it was cancerous. god brought me threw the robotic surgery just fine every thing seems to be going as expected. the thing iam haveing trouble with is the incontanence. its been 4 days since they took the cather out iam doing the kegal exercises the nurse told me iam doing them right. i guess iam impatient iam expecting to see results right away and from what ive read this might take a while. reply from any one who has went threw this would be appreciated . thanks God bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
(male)

kcon HB Userkcon HB User
Re: incontinence after prostate surgery

Hello brother, and welcome! I’m glad to share my experiences in this area in order to help you get a better feel for what you might expect.

Not everyone’s “journey to continence” is the same, but my journey seems to have followed a “typical” path (as you will see from the statistics in the link, below) and I hope you have similar success. (More importantly, I hope that your pathologist’s report, which you will probably be receiving just about now, is as good as it can be!)

I’m a little worried that you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by treestand View Post
the thing iam haveing trouble with is the incontanence. its been 4 days since they took the cather out...
The thing I’m worried about is that you seem concerned about your incontinence at this very early juncture. It would trouble me greatly if your surgeon didn’t properly prepare you for the almost certainty of a period of “poor continence” immediately after the catheter is removed for some number of weeks/months afterwards. Some very few lucky guys seem to be continent almost immediately, but the vast majority have to work their way through it. A very small percentage of men have some ongoing problems. Hopefully, the "trouble" you are having is simply your own short-term frustration (quite naturally), and not that you weren't prepared for this by your surgeon.

My surgery was April 9, 2009…just 5 months ago, but already it is fading from memory. I’m fully continent now, and have been for a while. I’m lifting weights, moving around heavy stuff, and I have no “squirts” or “dribbles” or anything despite those types of added physical stresses, but it takes a while, and it takes work. In the "big picture" it already seems like the recovery was a relatively short period; and I'm very glad to know that I will likely never deal with it again. When you are living it minute-by-minute, I know it's hard to think about the "big picture."

My surgeon provided me with statistics from his practice on what he has found regarding the time for his patients to get “pad-free”, and I published this in an earlier thread. Enter this link into your web browser: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=3980637&postcount=23

I wore my very last absorbancy pad 11-weeks after my surgery, so I did slightly better than average in my surgeon's sample population. I did have some “squirts” or “dribbles” for a week or so afterwards, but gone now. Here’s another link where I talked at some length about my experience (read through for where I addressed his questions #3 and #6): http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=4050631&postcount=8

My doctor had told me to avoid lifting heavy objects for 6-weeks after surgery so that my abdominal incisions could heal...I imagine you received similar instructions. After 6- or 7-weeks, I started doing light abdominal exercises in which I began also incorporating Kegels with the abs workout. I’m convinced this helped accelerate my continence recovery. I described this in some detail in the same thread above, but as a response to question #4.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be too concerned at this early juncture.

best wishes...and my prayers for a good post-surgery pathology report for you

Last edited by kcon; 09-04-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
(male)

kcon HB Userkcon HB User

By the way, here's another link to another post from just a few days ago about Kegels:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=4070062&postcount=2

You might find this helpful...

Old 09-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
(male)

treestand HB User

kcon thank you for your quick response. i fell a little better about what iam going threw now that i have some time lines to look at. i guess that patients is the attribute to have next to GOD and a careing wife. i apprecate your concern about my doctor he is very good at robitcs he is extremely well thought of in that field. very nice person but could have been a little bit better in explaining things. but i cant blame him because they tell a person a lot of stuff and when they tell you you got cancer i dont thing you hear every thing they say after that even for days. may be a person should take a tape recorder with them at appointments. he probably said things that i just dont remember . iam a old man of 58. HA HA as far as my pathology report goes it came back perfect PRAISE JESUS they found no cancer any whear else. so thanks for your imput and careing. take care and GOD BLESS

Last edited by treestand; 09-04-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: send to kcom

Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
(male)

BillW321 HB User

Quote:
hi iam new to this board it caught my eye because i have just had prostate removal because it was cancerous. god brought me threw the robotic surgery just fine every thing seems to be going as expected. the thing iam haveing trouble with is the incontanence. its been 4 days since they took the cather out iam doing the kegal exercises the nurse told me iam doing them right. i guess iam impatient iam expecting to see results right away and from what ive read this might take a while. reply from any one who has went threw this would be appreciated . thanks God bless

Old 09-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
(male)

stever5731 HB User

Quote:
Hi treestand,

Glad to hear you are doing well.

I know every situation is different, but here is my experience. I had robotic surgery July 7th and just became confident enough to stop wearing pads last week, so hang in there. I still wear pads if I'm expecting to do any heavy lifting and I still find they are necessary for brisk walks of over 20 minutes or when I use the treadmill. Many times since surgery I became concerned and frustrated with ongoing incontinence because my strength returned so quickly after surgery and it seemed like all mending should be on the same timeline.

I am doing kegal exercises several times a day. I see continued improvement every week and have learned to accept that as success. My surgeon explained early on that I should be prepared for complete recovery to take 3-6 months. Of course, I initially didn't accept that timeline, but now it seems like it will be close to three months for me.

Keep up with the exercises and stay positive.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:54 AM   #7
(female)

Kaseyjcf HB User

Good morning treestand, My hubby had his surgery on sept. 9 and still has his cath. He will be having it removed on the 24th and is also a little edgy as to the continence issues. His was a nerve sparing surgery, so we are hoping his continence will come back in as timely manner as possible. He has been doing the Kegel exercises with the cath in. I have heard this can help. One of his main concerns, is when he returns to work as he is a trucker, he will no longer be able to do those roadside p stops that he is accustomed to because of the pads or undergarments. He joked about it and said they probably don't furnish flys in the protective clothing. I said yeah, that might just defeat the whole purpose, huh? Anyway, it's good to see they didn't take out his sense of humor with his prostate. I am mainly writing back in to thank you people for all the valuable info that has helped my hubby and I through this for all these months. Your possitive comments and wonderful and compassionate attitudes have helped us greatly. Bless all of you.

Closed Thread