It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
(female)

mykinzie10 HB User
Pain so sudden and sharp it causes incontinence.

Hello. This is something I've endured since I had back surgery to remove a cyst from my lower back last november. Here's an example: a few days ago I was walking to the store and suddenly experienced such sudden sharp pain in my lower back, surrounding my abdomen, that I sat right on the curb cuz my knees got shaky. I was trying to just breathe thru it all, but felt all panicky and stood back up slowly turning to walk back home. I couldn't hold it, that pain was so intense, and I had incontinence when I was walking back home. I don't want to start wearing depends, but, don't know what to do either! I don't have an infection or any pain urinating at all. Its that when I do have pain that breaks thru this fentanyl patch, its not mild. Its not daily, but, occasionally. So actually my question isn't about an infection, its more like, what is going on with me that I'd suddenly have such pain that I experience incontinence? I haven't read about anyone else going thru this kind of thing. It happens a couple times a week. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do??? Thank you. I hope I get a suggestion. I really need a solution for this. Marla.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Pain so sudden and sharp it causes incontinence.

just exactly where was this cyst located and what type of surgery was perfomed to even get to it? honestly? what this sounds much more like, if you just really do have some level of either direct spinal nerve damage/or compression down there or possible cord compromise, would be more than likely what ever is actually triggering that pain BEFORE you get incontinent is more likely to be the actual 'trigger' of that than the pain itself would be? do you get what i mean here? it may not be so much that the actual pain is triggering this but what is actually "triggering" the pain BEFORE the incontinence even occurs?

this is just fairly common/and in some cases a more ominous sign depending, in low back or spinal problems with the nerves themselves? when you have the incontinece, it just really does need to be checked out for the true underlying cause. but alot would seriously depend upon ANY possible real impact within that spinal area actually. a good contrasted MRI should really be done if for no other reason to really find out just what area or levels could be impacted or anything new that could have occured between the surgery and now(even scar tissue can form in some people very quickly and impact surrounding areas too)?

was this just a plain old seperate type of cyst you had there or something else that created it? i am only asking since some types of diseases and or conditions can create a higher tendency for just replicating cysts in certain people and areas in the body(i am unfortunetly one of them). there is just a small possibility that certain cysts can somehow 'regrow' or you could have a newer one located around where the other one was too? just some stuff. but this much sudden sharp pain really does need some further more in depth evaluating. using the contrasted MRI would really be the best to give you at least a baseline looksee at the areas of your pain and the nerves that when incontinence becomes a symptom are the usual more likely culprits.

the fact that what you described actually appears to be a somewhat 'wraparound' type pain would possibly indicate the actual dermatome the underlying generator is sitting in too? it would give the doc and the rad a better place to just look for potential issues if they can pinpoint the dermatome( the area of sensory innervation stemming from the one of the two seperate spinal nerves we have at each spinal level that governs sensory innervation once you get past the actual c spine level, the other is a motor nerve). but i would most definitely get this all re evaluated starting with that contrasted MRI. hopefully something will just show itself so at you have a real solid reason for what you are experiencing here. i do wish you luck with this and do please keep me posted,marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Please do a search on "cauda equina syndrome". I think neckpatient talked with you a while back about this. It's caused by the compression of nerves in the lumbar spine, or any spinal condition that could compress nerves (like a disk herniation, spinal stenosis-you have that right?...I have stenosis too), or an infection (from your cyst ?-I don't know). Left untreated, this can lead to paralysis. This need to be addressed NOW. I believe that neckpatient said that it is an emergency situation and I don't mean to scare you, and I am NOT a doctor, and maybe this is NOT what this is. But, if it is, the reason you go to the ER right away is because they can correct any further damage from occurring. What has your doctor said about this??....janiee08....P.S. For tonight;search "cauda equina syndrome".

Old 02-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Mykinzie,
Many years ago I was assaulted and left with (among other things) two bad discs in my neck. About ten years ago I had one of the discs removed. I continue to have numbness in my hands and some pain in my neck. I've asked the doctor what symptoms will tell me that the other disc needs to be removed. The doctor had told me that the number one symptom is incontinence, that if I lose control of my bladder or bowels to get myself to the nearest ER. He went on to explain that incontinence is a sign that the disc is leaning on my spine and needs to be taken care of before I end up with paralysis. I don't mean to scare you, and please realize that this is just one doctor and one patient.
Please let us know how you make out.
Peggy

Old 02-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #5
(female)

mykinzie10 HB User

Hello. Yes I did read that message from neckpatient and I have googled cauda equina syndrome too. When I told my PM dr about this situation, I was told to go to the ER if this happened again. It hasn't because its an occasional symptom. I will call my PCP next time cuz my PM dr acts put out by anything unexpected from the reg appt. Everypne at their office all act so "put out" just by all of us who go there. I notice this in the waiting room. That cyst I had removed was right above my left buttocks cheek and was considered a Lipoma now I understand it could just depend on exactly what's going on with the discs and/or stenosis. Because of you all I will add imp info and call again. Ill keep u all posted. Thanks so much. Much more care n concern shown here than at my PM drs office! Ok. Thanx again everyone. Marla.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
(female)

silentwarrior HB User

Hi.

Just a few things I wish to say here....

1) I hope you are have a good day and as pain free as possible.

2) In your most recent post on this thread you said you will go to ER if happens again but that it does not happen all that often. I confused here and I sorry if I am wrong....but......

In your first post on this thread you said the wrap around pain and incontinence happens a FEW TIMES A WEEK and that you hope you do not have to end up in depends.

I am not trying be rude but just trying understand. If it were me or a love one who was having these symptoms I would darn sure take the advise given here and head to the ER whether or not if I were having symptoms right then.

3) PM: I know first hand how some PMs can be....so if feel more comfy talking to PCP that makes sense but for now if you have been having this issue of incontinence few times a month let alone a few times a week I hope and pray you go to the ER......ASAP.

Sincerely wishing you peace and health,

SW

(I hope I did not make too many errors in spelling as Eng. is not my 1st language. Usually I take time to use spell check or have Hubby read it but I felt urgent need to respond)

Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
(female)

silentwarrior HB User

Hi again.

I wish to say ooooooooooops and sorry for misreading your first post. You clearly state it happens occasional. Where my pea brain got "several times a week" from I have no idea.

I'm just concerned for you is all as are the other posters. I think making sure you and your PCP are in close contact over this issue and you go to the ER if happens again then hopefully you will be ok.

I would not deal with the PM unless you need meds for this issue since all us CP patients know the only get meds from one doc rule.

Again, my deep apology for misreading your words.

Once again sincerely wishing you peace and health,

SW

Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Marla, Although women seemed to have been the majority of responders and you got excellent advice, this does happen to men too. Most men don't sit around and think about what to do when Loosing bowel or bladder control. As great as my PM doc is, That's simply not a problem I would call him for or expect him to be able to resolve.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I had surgery about a year prior for 2 ruptured discs, I was still having pain that was being poorly treated, the leg pain had returned, foot drop returned, I had no reflexes and had been warned about bowel and bladder problems. I wasn't in a hurry to have more surgery untill I hit a speed bump going about 7 miles an hour. When I hit the bump my legs went numb and I lost control of my bowels. I called my surgeon, he had me come right in, They arranged my admittance to the hospital from the office so I didn't have to go through the ER or home. I was on PCA dilauidid within an hour of leaving his office and had my second surgery the next morning.

What you doing is no different than waiting around till the next day to have something as serrious as chest pain loocked at. The only thing worse that can happen is paralysis once you loose bowel and bladder control. Rather than worring about a diaper, I would take this very serious, and have your spine checked for nerve and cord compressions asap.

If you don't take it serious and only talk to your Pm doc weeks after it happens, like some mild of bothersome side effect, how does he know to treat it as an emergancy when your not treating it that way yourself. You are the one that needs to act and take this serriously, there is nothing a PM doc can do for this and at the very least you will find out what's going on at an ER. As bad as a diaper sounds, a diaper and wheel chair is much worse.

This kind of reminds me of the scenario that puts so many women at a much higher risk of death from their first heart attack then men. Women tend to wait, they present different symptoms than the classic heart attack and by the time they should have done something it's too late. This isn't something you should tough out or see how your doing in the morning or at your next apt.

There are reasons to call your surgeon versus showing up at the ER and telling them it happened last week. However if it happens again, before your surgeon can see you, I would go straight to the ER. You could be playig roulette with your abilty to walk and function by waiting and trying to come up with a more pleaeant self diagnosis. Sure an infection would be easier to treat and your GP could do it, But what if your cord is being compressed and it only happens when you twist a certain way or a combination of movement, posture and gate puts so much presure on your cord it results in permanent damage. There is no gaurentee your going to get another warning before something catastrophic happens. Next time it may put enough pressure on your cord or a nerve bundle that nothing can be done to reverse the damage.

Good luck and I truly hope its something simple but the worst thing you can do is diagnose the problem yourself. Not that I haven't done the same. I diagnosed myself with reflux and gerds 2 weeks before my first heart attack. Not the brightest move, given the symptoms I was having.
Take care, Dave

Old 07-20-2011, 01:46 AM   #9
(female)

emf1977 HB User

Im not absolutly for certain here but have u looked into PPOD syndrome? I havent read ALL the posts but do u have pelvic pain as well either on the sides or front? If so it might just be PPOD. Check it out.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
(female)

table36 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykinzie10 View Post
Hello. This is something I've endured since I had back surgery to remove a cyst from my lower back last november. Here's an example: a few days ago I was walking to the store and suddenly experienced such sudden sharp pain in my lower back, surrounding my abdomen, that I sat right on the curb cuz my knees got shaky. I was trying to just breathe thru it all, but felt all panicky and stood back up slowly turning to walk back home. I couldn't hold it, that pain was so intense, and I had incontinence when I was walking back home. I don't want to start wearing depends, but, don't know what to do either! I don't have an infection or any pain urinating at all. Its that when I do have pain that breaks thru this fentanyl patch, its not mild. Its not daily, but, occasionally. So actually my question isn't about an infection, its more like, what is going on with me that I'd suddenly have such pain that I experience incontinence? I haven't read about anyone else going thru this kind of thing. It happens a couple times a week. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do??? Thank you. I hope I get a suggestion. I really need a solution for this. Marla.
Hi there.. I am so sorry to hear about your pain. I too had a large cyst removed from my lower back in 2010. (October) Exactly on year later, I started having terrible back pain and the same thing you are experiencing. I was told the cyst was so deep it was almost to my back bone. I am currently on pain medication but the pain is getting worse. A nurse told me today I might need to go back in and make sure all the cyst was removed or didnt grow back. The pain I am in affects my daily living. I am searching for another surgeon and a doctor that can tell me exactly what is going on with my back. The site where the cyst was removed is caving in, like a hole. Good luck in finding your answer. If I find anything else out, I will post.

Closed Thread