It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #16
(female)

flsunshine HB Userflsunshine HB Userflsunshine HB User
Re: fecal incontinence

I am so happy to be able to post this time! First of all I am a member on several 'threads' sphincteroplasty being one of them (repair of the anal muscles). Through that thread I met a gal that had the same problem as me (us) with the diarrhea. I have had it for almost 7 years and also being incontinent is not FUN. I tried the anti-diarrhea medications both over the counter and RX. None worked 100% and made me swell in my extremities which in turn raised my blood pressure to dangerous levels. I was a prisoner of my house/toilet/washing machine and steam cleaner. Then I was told by another 'victim of this horrible disease' that she was treated with a little known antibiotic that a doctor had discovered eradicated IBS caused basically from small intestine bacteria. I went to my doctor and told him and he put me on this antibiotic (Rifaximin)...within a week I went from 10 plus bowel movements to less than three and NO DIARRHEA! Which in turn lets me have 'time' to get to the toilet. I have not had to put a diaper on for two weeks now! Although, I still have the 'anxiety' of 'what if' so I wear a pantie liner that has replaced the Xanax I used to go outside my home. Smile.

I so hope that this post will help someone else suffering from this horrible condition!

Last edited by flsunshine; 03-14-2011 at 12:24 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to flsunshine:
sad6575 (03-14-2011)
Old 03-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #17
(female)

hollysmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flsunshine View Post
I am so happy to be able to post this time! First of all I am a member on several 'threads' sphincteroplasty being one of them (repair of the anal muscles). Through that thread I met a gal that had the same problem as me (us) with the diarrhea. I have had it for almost 7 years and also being incontinent is not FUN. I tried the anti-diarrhea medications both over the counter and RX. None worked 100% and made me swell in my extremities which in turn raised my blood pressure to dangerous levels. I was a prisoner of my house/toilet/washing machine and steam cleaner. Then I was told by another 'victim of this horrible disease' that she was treated with a little known antibiotic that a doctor had discovered eradicated IBS caused basically from small intestine bacteria. I went to my doctor and told him and he put me on this antibiotic (Rifaximin)...within a week I went from 10 plus bowel movements to less than three and NO DIARRHEA! Which in turn lets me have 'time' to get to the toilet. I have not had to put a diaper on for two weeks now! Although, I still have the 'anxiety' of 'what if' so I wear a pantie liner that has replaced the Xanax I used to go outside my home. Smile.

I so hope that this post will help someone else suffering from this horrible condition!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #18
(female)

hollysmom HB User

flsunshine, Hi, so happy to hear you are having some improvements! I am curious, did you have any stool cultures done to see if you had some type of bacteria in your small intestine? Either way, I am so happy for you. Good luck! hollysmom

Old 03-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #19
(female)

flsunshine HB Userflsunshine HB Userflsunshine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysmom View Post
flsunshine, Hi, so happy to hear you are having some improvements! I am curious, did you have any stool cultures done to see if you had some type of bacteria in your small intestine? Either way, I am so happy for you. Good luck! hollysmom
hollysmom, Yes, I did have the stool cultures done for H pylori. As far bacteria in the small intestine and testing for that would require another colonoscopy and the insurance will not pay for another so close together. Although, my cultures came back negative. My doctor put me on the Rifaximin and within four days I saw a difference in the diarrhea. I have more control now without the liquid stools which could not be 'held in' at all. Now that I have a more solid stool I can at least get to the bathroom although it is evident I am still incontinent...but with a much better 'quality of life'. I can at least go to the grocery store without worry that I will 'leak' all over my car or the public ground. I continue to improve although I still have some 'break through' loose stool that is more of a bile than 'poo' and usually happens after I eat when I have gone without eating for an extended amount of time. I have also found that certain foods cause more problems ie: fatty food, salad, corn, high nitrates (cold cut meat) etc.
Thank you for your well wishes and support.
flsunshine

Old 03-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #20
(female)

hollysmom HB User

Flsunshine, Thanks for the info. I wish you continued success! Keep doing Kegels, I think they are helping me! hollysmom

Last edited by hollysmom; 03-20-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #21
(female)

ang4 HB User
Re: bowel disorders

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysmom View Post
I suffer from fecal incontinence since the birth of my last child in 1996. In 2004 I had surgical repair of the anal sphincter muscle which helped somewhat for a couple of years. I now suffer again like I never had the surgery. I would like to speak to other women who are experiencing this problem. I feel like my whole world has changed, I feel I can't go anywhere or make any plans. I am tired of always looking for a bathroom, and worst of all, most times never even making it to the bathroom on time. It is so humiliating, embarrassing, and I need some advice from someone who has experienced this problem. I would like to know if others have had the same problem with surgery only lasting for a few years, and if they had the surgery again. I don't really want to do the colostomy, but I am getting desperate. Please help! hollysmom
Hi,

This happen to me also I left the hosptial with a 4th degree tear unnoticed for weeks?? im getting a bag in 3 months time I feel soooo ill dizzy sick stressed nervous then an operation to sew the muscle together only 50% of success what surgery did u have?? that did not involve a bag please im seriously ill with all of this my baby is only 11 weeks old i get up at 5am in order to attend the loo and cope with baby and son going to school im afraid to eat to go out etc im going to have a breakdown what about u??

Old 07-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #22
(female)

marjorie74 HB User
Re: bowel disorders

I know exactly what you are going through. We have a lot in common. I have had no bowel control since I gave birth to my daughter and surgery helped a little, but im still having accidents almost daily.

I am not suggesting that anyone should isolate themselves. But I am now a stay at home mom and I love it. I don't feel too isolated because I have a wonderful husband, family and friends. I don't stay inside 24/7. I take my daughter out back to swim almost every day. We go out for ice cream. I take walks. We travel. But we stay in hotels instead of camping now because it is better for me.

It can be so frustrating and depressing. I am a 37 year old woman. i want to feel attractive..it is so embarrassing . I may look pretty on the outside, but it is hard to feel pretty on the inside when im having bowel accidents everyday.

im trying my best.

Closed Thread