Re: BM after Sphincteroplasty and Rectocele Surgery
Day 6 – Well, without much success in having a BM, Doctor suggested I take 30 ml of Milk of Magnesia and 1 x 5 mg Dulcolax Tablet. This worked so well I spent the night on the toilet with diarrhea. Not a fun time at all.
Now am pretty sure that I have a urinary tract infection. Doc called in some antibiotics.
Day 7 – Today I had a normal soft and skinny BM. Yeah! But don’t feel that things are quite right. Dared to get out the mirror. Something stinks, literally, and I feel worse. There is a red streak spreading across my behind. I know that means infection!
I have made an appointment to go and see both Doctors, in the same building thank goodness. Turns out that the stitches that were supposed to burst with drainage pressure build-up didn’t, so have developed an abscess. Oh, boy, what a lovely place for it!!! At this point, although terribly painful, all I can do is laugh through the tears and feel sorry for myself. Pity party for one!
My antibiotics are switched to one that is a lot stronger.
I made it upstairs to see the other surgeon, urogynecologist, and she was so sweet. What a difference to the “no bedside manner of the other guy”. Good news is that I am emptying my bladder and that part of the surgery is a success.
If it weren’t for the sphincteroplasty I don’t think I would still be on pain meds.
I actually keep forgetting that I have had a midurethral sling and rectocele repair.
Day 8 – I have been taking a stool softener three times a day. That seems to be doing the trick. Yeah. Success in the BM department. I am in a lot of pain, but knowing that the incision is draining properly and that I have antibiotics in my system doing their job makes me realize things will get better.
Day 9 – Am feeling a lot better. Have managed to cut the Vicodin dose in half and supplement it with 1 Tylenol. Am getting out of the pain med fog. Yeah!
Again success in the BM department.
Day 13 – Things have improved tremendously. Today was a good day. Most of the swelling has gone down and am down to just one Vicodin first thing in the morning before my daily BM and one at night to make it more comfortable to get to sleep.
Thoughts as I look back over this:
• Wish I had a bidet—have managed a system where I hang butt over the edge of the tub and use the handheld shower.
• Need to get a ring to sit on.
• Am glad I stocked up on pads and moisture wipes which I use to press on area to clean.
• So glad I have a great husband and support system to take care of me.
• What I was most scared of – having a BM – really isn’t as painful as I expected. I am rather sore for a bit afterwards though, and I make sure I go straight into the shower.
• I think that the Doctor should plan on seeing the patient 3 to 5 days post surgery as well as the two week appointment they scheduled. I knew something wasn’t right, but if I hadn’t insisted on making them fit me in to see him on day 7, I would have been in a dire situation. If he had looked at me sooner, and discovered the abscess sooner, I would not have had as bad a time as I actually did.
I will post again as I heal and things progress.
I wish all of you about to go through this the best and that you heal well.