It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 05:06 AM   #1
(female)

patient2011 HB User
BM after Sphincteroplasty and Rectocele Surgery

I am 5 days post surgery for a rectocele, a midurethral sling, posterior colporrhaphy and a sphincteroplasty. So far so good. The surgery went well and I was able to leave the hospital without a catheter. I went to a urogynegologist for the rectocele and she recommended me to a colorectal surgeon for the sphincter problem. Both are Board Certified. They are both in a Pelvic Health Center.
I was told that the sphincteroplasty might only last about 10 years. With any luck I will be the exception! Am hoping that once I'm healed and get into a regular routine of doing kegels that I will strengthen the muscles. I never did kegels before this.
Ladies, keep doing Kegels forever!
I think my hysterectomy 3 years ago (I kept my ovaries) was a major factor in my pelvic organs prolapsing, but I’ll never know for sure.
Am pretty confident though that the birth of my 8 lb 2 oz first child 26 years ago which required forceps, is the reason for all the tearing in my sphincter. It has taken me this long to finally give up and look for help. The BM leakage in my undies were getting more and more frequent to a point that it was happening at least 5 times a day.
I was really scared going into the surgery but amazingly it wasn’t as bad as I expected. Halfway through the day after surgery the nurse took off the Foley Catheter and after two urination sessions she tested with a catheter to see how much still needed to be voided. It there was anything I would need to go home with a catheter and try again in a few days with a Doctor’s appointment. Luckily for meI was successful and able to be catheter free. The check with a catheter does sting a little. It isn’t a fun thing but the spasms did stop after a few minutes.
I am still swollen and very sore. I am icing as often as I can. I still need to take pain meds. My fear now is that I haven’t had a BM yet. I started taking a dose in the morning and another in the evening of Miralax after doing stool softeners for two days. It’s a catch 22 situation. I am taking the pain meds so that I can get through the first BM, but they can cause constipation!
If anyone else has any suggestions on getting through this problem I will so appreciate it.
I looked up this site before the surgery to get info. It was very helpful in making
my decision so a big thanks to everyone who posted. If you are a success story after surgery please would you mind posting that as well. It helps to know that there are good outcomes too.

Last edited by patient2011; 12-27-2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Removing font explanations at the beginning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
(female)

patient2011 HB User
Re: BM after Sphincteroplasty and Rectocele Surgery

Day 6 – Well, without much success in having a BM, Doctor suggested I take 30 ml of Milk of Magnesia and 1 x 5 mg Dulcolax Tablet. This worked so well I spent the night on the toilet with diarrhea. Not a fun time at all.
Now am pretty sure that I have a urinary tract infection. Doc called in some antibiotics.
Day 7 – Today I had a normal soft and skinny BM. Yeah! But don’t feel that things are quite right. Dared to get out the mirror. Something stinks, literally, and I feel worse. There is a red streak spreading across my behind. I know that means infection!
I have made an appointment to go and see both Doctors, in the same building thank goodness. Turns out that the stitches that were supposed to burst with drainage pressure build-up didn’t, so have developed an abscess. Oh, boy, what a lovely place for it!!! At this point, although terribly painful, all I can do is laugh through the tears and feel sorry for myself. Pity party for one!
My antibiotics are switched to one that is a lot stronger.
I made it upstairs to see the other surgeon, urogynecologist, and she was so sweet. What a difference to the “no bedside manner of the other guy”. Good news is that I am emptying my bladder and that part of the surgery is a success.
If it weren’t for the sphincteroplasty I don’t think I would still be on pain meds.
I actually keep forgetting that I have had a midurethral sling and rectocele repair.
Day 8 – I have been taking a stool softener three times a day. That seems to be doing the trick. Yeah. Success in the BM department. I am in a lot of pain, but knowing that the incision is draining properly and that I have antibiotics in my system doing their job makes me realize things will get better.
Day 9 – Am feeling a lot better. Have managed to cut the Vicodin dose in half and supplement it with 1 Tylenol. Am getting out of the pain med fog. Yeah!
Again success in the BM department.
Day 13 – Things have improved tremendously. Today was a good day. Most of the swelling has gone down and am down to just one Vicodin first thing in the morning before my daily BM and one at night to make it more comfortable to get to sleep.

Thoughts as I look back over this:
• Wish I had a bidet—have managed a system where I hang butt over the edge of the tub and use the handheld shower.
• Need to get a ring to sit on.
• Am glad I stocked up on pads and moisture wipes which I use to press on area to clean.
• So glad I have a great husband and support system to take care of me.
• What I was most scared of – having a BM – really isn’t as painful as I expected. I am rather sore for a bit afterwards though, and I make sure I go straight into the shower.
• I think that the Doctor should plan on seeing the patient 3 to 5 days post surgery as well as the two week appointment they scheduled. I knew something wasn’t right, but if I hadn’t insisted on making them fit me in to see him on day 7, I would have been in a dire situation. If he had looked at me sooner, and discovered the abscess sooner, I would not have had as bad a time as I actually did.

I will post again as I heal and things progress.

I wish all of you about to go through this the best and that you heal well.

Closed Thread

Tags
fecal incontinence, midurethral sling, rectocele, sphincteroplasty, stress incontinence