It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
(female)

Suffering in OH HB User
My fecal incontenence

I suffer from fecal incontenence and it is so scary. I'm scared to go places and afraid that even if I'm wearing pads/diapers the smell will be evident. How does anyone deal with that issue? There is a new procedure called Interstim but has restrictions and seems pretty invasive to me. They insert basically a pacemaker in your back side and you carry this device around. Sounds too complicated for me and not sure Medicare will pay for it. I feel so alone since no one else I know has this. I feel so much better on these forums because I know I'm not alone. Mine was caused by birthing two big babies and constant constipation all my life. Once again, even wearing a diaper would cause odor -- is there tips on this?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
(female)

DML1121 HB User
Re: My fecal incontenence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffering in OH View Post
I suffer from fecal incontenence and it is so scary. I'm scared to go places and afraid that even if I'm wearing pads/diapers the smell will be evident. How does anyone deal with that issue? There is a new procedure called Interstim but has restrictions and seems pretty invasive to me. They insert basically a pacemaker in your back side and you carry this device around. Sounds too complicated for me and not sure Medicare will pay for it. I feel so alone since no one else I know has this. I feel so much better on these forums because I know I'm not alone. Mine was caused by birthing two big babies and constant constipation all my life. Once again, even wearing a diaper would cause odor -- is there tips on this?
Hi, You should consult with a board certified colorectal surgeon. I also had a bad tear during child birth and have similar issues. I have choosen to wait for a repair due to my son being so young. The Interstim device is showing positive results for fecal incontinence. From what I heard they do a trial first for a couple of weeks, you were it externally. If you show positive results they then place the Interstim device internally. I spoke with some of the ladies on this board who had this device and they were very happy with the results. Your definitley not alone, so many women suffer in silence. I wish you all the best!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
(female)

hello778 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffering in OH View Post

I did the one thing I could figure out to do... I gave up on embaressment.
When I mess in public, no big deal anymore. I take my backpack to the restroom, clean up, and move on. My friends know my condition. It makes a world of difference having accepting friends. It's a life saver when I can ask a friend "Crap. Go get a diaper from my car! Please!", or not having to be cryptic or lie about why I need to run home before our spontaneous plans. It's also nice when they will occasionally joke with me about it (lovingly, nothing mean), humor makes it easier to cope.

I'm not sure if you can, but I can tell a few seconds before it happens. This at least gives me a chance to take a step back away from people.
Ignore people's reaction. Think about it... If their life is such that they need to make fun, judge, etc for a medical condition that you can't control, then they have much bigger problems than you do!
I stopped caring. My life improved dramatically when I did. I clean up when necessary, keep people around who are accepting, and enjoy my life.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
(female)

grammie9909 HB User

I just wanted to let you know that I have recently gone through the "Interstim Therapy". I have been incontinent for quite a while with my Bladder and Bowels. The "Interstim Therapy" has done wonders for me. I am so glad I took this direction. I do still have problems with week sphincter muscles, but have working on that through Physical Therapy and Exercises on my own. I know exactly what it's like to never leave my home, because of the embarrassment of the accidents that could occur. I also know the feeling of wishing I would just die. There are so many new advancements in a lot of health issues, I didn't have a clue. We can have more quality to our lives. This is all new to me- I just got the implant in mid September and because of my incontinence being so bad, I still have issues to work on- but I honestly feel that I am heading in the right direction.

Reply Reply