It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
(female)

New Momma HB User
3 weeks post-op from r/v fistula repair & s-plasty

I had big, healthy baby boy in May. He was 8 lbs and 14 oz. I was in labor for 52 hrs. With his birth, I sustained a 4th degree tear. The stitches broke down about a week after delivery. I had to be re-stitched in the OB's office with the use of a local anesthetic. This didn't hold up either. I ended up with a r/v fistula (more on my perineum). I waited 4 months and just recently underwent a sphincterplasty and a repair of the fistula. However, I now have stool leaking from my vagina (I didn't have this before). I didn't have a hard stool following the surgery and have been following all the precautions.
Does anyone know how long I will have to wait to have this higher vaginal fistula repaired? I see the MD today to confirm my suspicion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #2
(female)

penny70 HB User
Re: 3 weeks post-op from r/v fistula repair & s-plasty

Hi New Momma,

Just a quick reply. I had a fistula post splasty as well. Just wondering what your MD suggested in the way of repair. I had some kind of mesh repair that wasn't successful and more or less waited it out for the fistula to repair itself. Good luck with it. Keep us posted.
Penny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
(female)

New Momma HB User

Hi Penny - I am sorry to hear that your surgery wasn't successful. Did it eventually heal fully?
My surgeon did not use any mesh. He performed a transverse incision on the perineum and excised the fistula. He also build up my perineum and performed the sphincterplasty.
When I went back to the doctor, he felt that there was an abcess and that is what caused the breakdown this time. I am now having more bowel out of this fistula than I did prior to surgery. He says my next option is to wait a bit and see if it heals its own or possibly have a fibrin plug put in that hole. I'm just ready for all of this to heal and be finished with this already.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
(female)

penny70 HB User

Hi Momma,

Mine did eventually heal on it's own. It was a bit of a trip but got there. Hopefully, the fibrin plug will work well for you. I think I've heard others mention it. I don't blame you for wanting it over with. It was really disconcerting to say the least when it happened to me after my s'plasty. Hard to keep your chin up and I say do what you need to to stay positive.

Penny

Reply Reply