It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
(male)

moopa HB User
'Functional' incontinence

I've just been out for a walk, came back, and was unable to get the door key turned in the door rapidly enough - and wet myself.

This is the first time this has happened, but I've been noticing recently that when I'm taking a shower, the sound of the water running causes me to lose control.

Reading up quickly on the condition, I self-diagnose myself as 'functionally incontinent', because I don't have any conditions associated with the other types of incontinence listed in Wikipedia - this is not markedly stress associated, nor are there dribbles, etc. But I'm not senile, nor do I have Alzheimers, dementia, confusion, arthritis, or low mobility. In fact I'm a fit 61-year old guy.

It is not always super-obvious to me in advance that I will 'need to go', because it seems to me that the good bladder control that I had when I was younger is not there any more. I can't tell my body: "stop!" Not even for the half-minute it would take to get a tricky key turned.

I recently had a prostate test and came out OK.

I do drink a heck of a lot of coffee.

So what next?
1. See my doctor, obviously
2. Do Kegel exercises help? They seem to better suited to other kinds of incontinence
3. What else?

Old 10-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
(female)

Ilovedollhouses HB UserIlovedollhouses HB UserIlovedollhouses HB UserIlovedollhouses HB User
Re: 'Functional' incontinence

Hi moopa: They (kegel exercises) work wonderful in helping incontinence...They strengthen your pelvic muscles and help you control yourself...I started doing these exercises near 20 years ago...They also help male potency as they give you more staying power...This, my husband is living proof of...

What can you do?...First, this is an aging problem...As we age the pelvic area drops...Sounds disgusting, but that's how it is...Much worse for a woman...Hopefully you can control this with these exercises and cutting back on your liquids...Cut the coffee down to a couple of cups a day and watch your consumption before bedtime....Unfortunately, this problem does not go away, but we all can help it...If it gets worse then there are items that they sell that will make sure that this problem is never noticed...Be thankful it is not more than a simple happening such as this...It could be much worse...

Good luck and I hope all goes well...If you feel more comfortable then see your Urologist....Take care...ILD....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
(female)

Suffering in OH HB User

I had a simple outpatient procedure done called transobturator sling. My GYN performed it but you can also go to a urologist. They go through the vagina and insert some sort of tape to hold and tighten the uretha. I have since had NO PROBLEMS. No leaking when sneezing, coughing, etc. ps. going while the shower is running is no big deal. I still do it. Check out this procedure with you doctor. IT REALLY HELPED.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
(female)

Aberlaine9 HB User

I've noticed, over the past few months, that my ability to "hold my water" has diminished significantly. At first I just had stress incontinence - whenever I coughed or sneezed, I dribbled.

Lately, however it feels like I have a urinary tract infection, but nothing shows up in the urine test. I even had a CT scan last week to see if I had some structural problem - nope. The best I've come up with is an "overactive" bladder.

I've started taking VesiCare and doing Kegel exercises. When the urge strikes me, I do my Kegels and can sometimes make it to the bathroom. However, I've resigned myself to the fact that, unless modern medicine has a cure, I'll be wearing Depends for a while.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aberlaine9 For This Useful Post:
carlos12 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
(male)

carlos12 HB User
Smile Re: 'Functional' incontinence

hi my name is carlos i'm 19 years old and since i was a baby i've been diagnosed with spina bifeda i have trouble going to the bathroom to do 1 & 2 i have to wear diapers.

Reply Reply

Tags
coffee, functional, kegel, stress