It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
(male)

somethingca HB User
how reliable is a adult diaper ?

hello,

I am a 22 years old male from south india. i am suffering from physical disability as well as urine and bowel incontinence right from my birth.

Lately i am planning to grow up in my carrier for which i have to go out of the house for about 6 hours a day, so have been looking for alternatives to deal with my urinary and bowel incontinence and have heard of adult diapers but, wonder how useful will they be.

how to know which size adult diaper will fit for me ? should i order for all sizes for trying it for the first time ?
is it really possible for the disabled to use adult diapers and stay out of home for around 6 hours a day ? will it be reliable ?
will they be odour less (smell less) for 6 hours ?
can they hold about a liter (1000 milliliter) of urine ?
will they be stinky (bad smell) when i pass a bowel movement in it ? will i have to change it as and when i have a bowel movement ?
Will it be odorless even when i travel in a air conditioned car, while the diaper has already been spoiled ?

Finally, do you think a physically disabled person who is completely depended on a wheelchair can use adult diaper to stay at a place where their wont be a convenient wash room to use, for about 6 hours ?

I know most of the things depend on the quality of the adult diapers i use but, i want to know the best the adult diapers can do when a disabled person, with both urinary and bowel incontinence, wants to stay away from home for 6 hours.

About my medical history, if you feel it help you in giving better suggestions.

I am 18 years old male, living in south India.

In the year 1991, when I was born I had a water balloon formed (of some fluid) on my back bone (of course was visible) and that affected the nerves going down from the spinal cord to the legs and as a result my legs became un-functional. On the 2nd day of my birth I was operated and that balloon was removed. When I was 18 months old (should have been at the end of 1992) a shunt was inserted from my brain to the stomach for draining out some more fluid (in the form of urine) which was left in my brain. Then again when I was 3 years old due to some reasons the shunt had a block and I was re-operated for that and the block was removed. Actually in those days (18 year ago) the shunts that were available were to be replaced every 4-5 years but, luckily the one that insert in my case was not of that kind but,(I think) this one's life span was only 4 years. After that I think the doctors noticed that there is no need a shunt for those fluids to be drained in the form of urine but, up till today that shunt was not remove.

I donít know why but ever since my childhood I never control over urination, and I was passing out motion only once in 3-4 days (about motion, doctors told that its because of the lack of exercise), on which I dint have control either. Right now when I feel the urge to urinate I can hardly control it for 1-5 minís, and even for controlling for those 1-5mins, even at the age of 18yrs, I have this very bad habit of squeezing the tip of ďorgan of copulationĒ (sorry I couldnít find alternate medical term for it) with my finger tips. Actually till I was 13-14 yrs old I use to make the beds wet at night. (When I am awake) Sometimes while attempting stop the urge to urinate, wet spot forms on my cloths, itís too embarrassing while I am at a place where their are many people around me, especially when I am out of my house, at some place where it isnít possible to go to the restroom. Sometimes my condition is even bad when I am due to pass motion (I pass it only once in three/four days). Finally I often end up excreting in my cloths.

As I was growing I was not joined in the school for the obvious reason that its difficult for me to attend the school. The situation continued the same even today while I am doing my graduation from home itself. I am stuck at home. Of course I do go out with my parents quite often, but that is when I (and even my parent) are alert about my urination (we have made it a point to carry an empty water bottle in which I can pass my urine). I avoid going out when I am due to pass my motion, and by chance if I feel the urge to pass motion when I am out of my house we have no other option then to rush back home, but by the time we reach home, I often end up excreting in my cloths.

I please ask adult diaper users to help me find the answers for above mentioned questions, about the adult diapers.

really in need of your valuable advice.

Last edited by somethingca; 06-24-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
(female)

crazyoldcatlady HB User
Re: how reliable is a adult diaper ?

Adult diapers are helpful, although I only use them at night when my problem is the worst. They may help you, too I don't know. They will not be odorless when you have a bowel movement in them. The urine odor will not become very obvious until the second time there are urinated in. None of them, repeat, none of them can hold a liter of fluid.
As for size, you would go by your waist size and weight. You might be able to go to a place where they can be purchased and talk to them about some free samples.
Just a question and I don't mean to sound bossy or nosey, but, would there be a way you could be gone for less than six hours? At least to maybe cut it in half. Being in a wheelchair you are going to be completely exhausted before the first day is finished, please consider shorter trips to start with.

The following user gives a hug of support to crazyoldcatlady:
somethingca (07-01-2013)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crazyoldcatlady For This Useful Post:
somethingca (07-01-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
(female)

hello778 HB User
Re: how reliable is a adult diaper ?

I wear diapers 24 hours a day, so I'd be happy to try to answer a few of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingca View Post
how to know which size adult diaper will fit for me ? should i order for all sizes for trying it for the first time ?
Your best bet is to order online. Most manufacturers will tell you what waist size each size diaper is for. Measure your waist and match. If measuring your waist is difficult, I'm sure google can tell you an approximation based on what size pants you wear.
Since I mentioned pants, caution... you will need bigger pants when you are wearing a diaper.

Quote:
is it really possible for the disabled to use adult diapers and stay out of home for around 6 hours a day ? will it be reliable ?
will they be odour less (smell less) for 6 hours ?
can they hold about a liter (1000 milliliter) of urine ?
6 hours in one diaper? For a store brand, like Depends, no.
I use Secure Care. I can make it 6 or even 8 hours in one diaper without leaks, but It sure isnt comfortable after than long. I do my best to avoid staying wet so long.
64 oz is the max I've ever seen.
Odourless? No. A soaked diaper smells like pee. It does, however, smell a lot less than wet clothes.

Quote:
will they be stinky (bad smell) when i pass a bowel movement in it ? will i have to change it as and when i have a bowel movement ?
Will it be odorless even when i travel in a air conditioned car, while the diaper has already been spoiled ?
Adult diapers work a lot like baby diapers. If you poop in it, it will smell. It's diaper, not magic.
I would recommend changing a soiled diaper. The thought of not doing so is nasty.
Granted, I may finish what I'm doing if I'm at home and plan to shower right after, but if you're with other people, you are not going to want to smell like a dirty diaper. Besides that, adults get diaper rash too. It hurts, BAD.
And a dirty diaper will stink in an air conditioned car.

Quote:
Finally, do you think a physically disabled person who is completely depended on a wheelchair can use adult diaper to stay at a place where their wont be a convenient wash room to use, for about 6 hours ?
Get used to them at home first. You will need to change at some point in those 6 hours. Changing in a bathroom stall is..... interesting. It takes practice. I say that and I'm able bodied, I can only imagine it will be more difficult for you at first.
It gets easier with practice. After many years in diapers, I can change in a moving car.

Quote:
I know most of the things depend on the quality of the adult diapers i use but, i want to know the best the adult diapers can do when a disabled person, with both urinary and bowel incontinence, wants to stay away from home for 6 hours.
Get used to changing them in public bathrooms is all I can say.

BEST advice I can give you... Dont waste your time being emberassed and trying not to make sounds when you change. Yes, diapers crinkle and make tape sounds. It is just a waste to try to be quiet, its much less embarassing to just get in, and get done.

The following user gives a hug of support to hello778:
crazyoldcatlady (10-23-2013)
Reply Reply