It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 05:44 AM   #1

Tiff Tiff HB User
my baby stopped taking bottles - help!

tyler quit taking formula. he was getting about 4-5 bottles a week while i was at work or out with friends. just all of a sudden he decided he didn't want it anymore, and now he'll cry until i come home to breastfeed him. i have tried 3 differnt kinds of formula, as soon as he tastes it you can tell he doesnt like it and he wont drink it. so i thought i would pump and the problem would be solved.

and i got a 5oz bottle (which is how much he usually takes) of breastmilk ready for him for when i went to work. i also bought a nuk nipple for the bottle.. supposed to feel more like the real thing to the baby. and well he only took 1.5 oz, and he was fooling with it, he just wouldnt suck it like he used to. he kept spitting the nipple out of his mouth. he was crying and finally went to sleep and was asleep still when i got back from work.

has anyone else had their baby just stop taking a bottle after 2 months of him taking it w/o a problem? is there anything you can do to get him to take it again? i need to work i have to find a way to get him to eat while i'm not there with him help please!!

Old 12-04-2003, 05:49 AM   #2

anotherdizzy1 HB User
Re: my baby stopped taking bottles - help!

My daughter was about 5 or 6 months old and was doing fine on playtex bottles with no problem then all of sudden, she didn't want it anymore. I asked her doctor and she told me to switch to Prosobee (soy formula). She said it is sweeter than the enfamil she was on and babies like it better. Once I did this, she took the bottle just fine and I didn't have to switch the type of bottle she was on.

Hope this may help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 06:10 AM   #3

Tiff Tiff HB User

i have tried similac advance, emfamil lipil, and emfilip prosobee lipil (the soy kind) and he just wont take any of them..

my grandmother said something about they used to put sugar in the bottle when she had her daughter.. to make it sweeter. is this safe?

Old 12-04-2003, 08:51 AM   #4
(female)

MilkNKisses HB User

Im not sure how old your baby is, but I try and feed my daughter 1/2 cereal 1/2 fruit (the cereal made with formula) at night .. this keeps her full and happy .. your son might eat if he were eating that .. after he gets sick of trying to eat on a spoon, he may take the bottle .. just a sugestion .. sorry I wasnt more help

As for the sugar, I wouldnt put sugar in his bottle .. you wouldnt want to turn him away from breastmilk because it wasnt sugary enough for him .. that would make problems worse .. Also I dont know how long you left him on the other formulas but it can take a few days before it settles with thier tummys ... maybe you just didnt try the soy long enough?

I hope he does better, I know its hard to be a new mom back at work!

Old 12-04-2003, 12:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

We had a similar problem a few weeks ago with our son who is 6 months old. He'd drink a couple ounces and then refuse anymore. Only time we could get anything down him was in the middle of the night when he was sleeping. We're really not sure what was wrong with him -- there were several things going on. He'd been on antibiotics for a sinus infection. He was constipated. He also developed a nasty ear infection a few weeks after all this started.

So the doctor gave us a prescription for diflucan to treat thrush, just in case it was down his esophagas and couldn't be seen. Also told us to give DS Milk of Magnesia to get things moving. Whatever it was -- it's gone now. Thank goodness. Can't stand having to wrestle with my child to get him to eat.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:20 AM   #6

omega57 HB User

Your problem may not be the formula / breastmilk, but the way in which it is delivered. We went through about 10 different kinds of bottles / nipples / and cups before we found one my son would take. Some babies prefer different shapes, or even a soft sippy cup (Advent makes a good one). Maybe it's worth a try? Good luck.

Closed Thread