It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2004, 07:06 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User
Sick Mommy with 4 month old

I found out from the doctor yesterday that I have a sinus infection and bronchitis (just starting to get infected in my chest). It hit me quick and hard and I'm really scared my little one is going to get it too. I take all the precautions I can, but it's really hard. The physicians assistant told me she probably would be ok because she has strong antibodies right now and I'm not really any more contagious than if I had a cold.

But, I'm still very nervous. It really scares me that she could end up with a really stuffy nose. I know you use the nose thing to get it out, but how will she sleep? Will I be up with her all night doing her nose? What if she sleeps and doesn't wake up to let me know that her nose is way too stuffed up and she can't breath. Maybe I'm worry over much here, but it really scares me. This is my first and although I've babysat and had lots of sibling whom I also babysat, I've never dealth with an infant cold before.

Old 09-04-2004, 08:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User
Re: Sick Mommy with 4 month old

sinus infection and bronchitus are not contagious....only the underlying cause is ...like a cold or virus
so even if you do have a cold virus and she gets it she still probably wouldnt get bronchitus or even a sinus infection, that is how your body reacted to it....she may only get the runny nose/fever part of it.....
my dd was around someone who had bronchitus (bad bronchitus) and never get it (this was when she was 6 months old) and i have had countless sinus infections, believe me they are not contagious...do some research on it, thats how i learned it wasnt contaigous.
feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2004, 11:15 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

That's what I'm worried about the -- the underlying cold or virus. I've never had to care for an infant with a cold, so I'm wondering how bad it gets considering she can't blow her own nose and she's so young.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

my DD of 10 months has had 2 colds and it really isnt that bad I PROMISE and it is actually good for her to have exposure to these types of "miny viruses" it will help build her imunity...
they get kinda fussy and run a little fever (tylenol will take it down) they have a runny nose which can be sucked out with those "sucker" thingies (lol i cant think of what they are called.....my DH and i call it the snott sucker!)
if she doesnt get this from you eventually she will get one from someone somewhere....and as i recall my daughter was about 4 and a half months when she got her first (it was back in the spring) picked it up from her cousin....

and about her sleeping with one...i wont lie you may have a sleepless night or two but just so you keep her "sucked out" she will be fine

so again....i assure you it does not get that bad......
good luck!!!

Last edited by Chrissi; 09-04-2004 at 12:52 PM.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

ohh and one other thing....my friend just had a baby boy who was 4 weeks early and she was concerned about him getting colds and such (he only weighs 5 lbs) but the Dr. told her that they have got an immune system that is just as good as ours...
(babies that do not have compromised immune systems....)
so as long as she is a health baby then she will be fine if she gets it....
and it usually lasts about 5-7 days....no big deal......

ohh and if you want some strange advice about how to get rid of your sinus infection take an eye dropper and fill it with peroxide and slowly put it in your nose with your head held backward and let it drain all the way back into your throat (it will burn and it tastes nasty ) but it will kill all the bacteria in your nose and it helped me to breath alot better ...i did it 2 times a day and my infection was gone in a few days......
but try not to swallow any.....although just a tiny tiny bit wont hurt you.

now when my DD got a sinus infection i diped a q tip in peroxide and cleaned her nose with it to kill the bacteria....but i wouldnt use the dropper on a baby......and her sinus infection was gone the next day.

Old 09-04-2004, 03:59 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

Thanks Chrissi!

Old 09-04-2004, 05:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

always glad to help
if you even need anything let me know!!!

Old 09-07-2004, 08:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS has a genetic disorder which affects his lungs and I'm terrified of getting sick and bringing something home to him. I've had a cold, sinus infection and a couple of bouts of a stomach virus. DH had a fever last week, no other symptoms. I was a basket case during flu season.

We just try to keep our distance -- wash our hands constantly. DH wore a mask last week when he was in the same room. When DS has gotten sick, we take it one day at a time and deal with it -- we've had to use saline and a bulb syringe to suck out boogers to help him breathe better 'cuz babies can't blow their noses.

Old 09-07-2004, 10:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

but as long as her baby is healthy then she should have no problems if she would happen to pick up a cold/miny virus

Closed Thread