It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
(female)

ldiamonds HB User
Question 1 1/2 yr baby girl yeast infection

undefined

I have a 1 1/2 yr old baby girl who was on medicine for an ear infection and got a horrible diaper rash from it. That cleared up and then about 4 days later a new rash appeared out of nowhere. There was no change in diet or clothing, diapers etc. For 1 week I used Desitine very frequently. . . I noticed it wasn't going away and it seemed like she was itching it. I began using Monistat 7 day treatment just rubbing the infected area every time I changed her diaper. I've also been giving her yogurt feeling as though she has a yeast infection. She has now been using the monistat for 4 days and I haven't seen any marked improvement. How long should I wait until I take her to the doctors. And is what i'm treating it with going to work, in otherwards should i just give it more time? If there is anyone with any comments or suggestions i would really appreciat it.

Thanks
ldiamonds

Old 02-26-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Re: 1 1/2 yr baby girl yeast infection

If the monistat hasn't improved it by now, I'd take her as soon as possible. They can get really bad really fast if you can't get them cleared up. The doc will be able to give you something topical or oral that should knock it right out and you won't have to worry about it anymore. I always heard to get right to the doc if it's a rash that Desitin won't clear up. I don't know if monistat works or not. I had a friend of mine who's sons got so incredibly bad very quick, he ended up getting secondary bacterial infection in the broken skin from the yeast infection. Poor little guy was miserable.

Also, let her go "bare" as often as you can and try to keep her whole little tushy as dry as possible. Yeast loves moisture.
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 02-26-2005 at 09:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
Veteran

camden HB User

My daughter is very prone to yeast infections. She has had a few of them over the years. She will be turning five very soon and we just recently got rid of a yeast infection. She has been treated, by a doctor, for it at least three times in the past couple of years. The first time I took her in because she had a "rash" that would just not go away. I soon realised that it was probably a fungal rash of some sort because it reminded me of ring worm. It formed an unbroken, red oval around her genitals and anus. She has never complained of it being itchy (although she likely scratches instead of complaining about it), just that her "crotch" hurts.

The first time I took her in she was given a prescription for lotriderm cream which was to be used 2-3 times a day until a few days after I could no longer see the rash and Nilstat which was to be taken orally four times per day for (I believe it was six days). This seemed to be clearing it up but the meds ran out and it came back. We went back to the doctor and he prescribed the Nilstat for 12 days which cleared it up. The doctor told me that some children are just more prone than others and they often out grow it.

She has had several other infections which I have been able to clear up just by using the cream but had to take her in a few months ago and she was given diflucin and more lotriderm. It cleared it up but it has returned once since then and the cream alone cleared it up.

I'm not sure about the monistat as it is made for adults and I did a quick search on the web and every site I go to says not to use in children under 12. I would advise that you take her to a doctor just to be safe and you can ask about the monistat while you are there.

Good luck!

Old 03-17-2005, 06:45 PM   #4
(female)

annelizly HB User

my daughter had a run of yeast infections when she was about 2-4 months old(don't know why and she's never had any since anyway the pediatrician told me to buy lotrimin AF over the counter by the foot fungus section. he said its the same as the prescription stuff. You just rub a little on the rash and it should go away!! (AF is anti-fungal and that is what a yeast infection is)

Old 03-18-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

My grandmother when on antibiotics causes her to have horrible yeast infections.

Closed Thread