It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User
How do I take care of a baby GIRL?

I know this sounds weird but I have 3 boys and am currently pg with my 4th child a girl finially. i was wondering what things do I need to know about the difference in taking care of them? Do I use a baby wipe every time I change her not like my boys? Any info would be helpful. Sorry I know nothing about little girls

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 05:48 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User
Re: How do I take care of a baby GIRL?

I've got a 7 week old baby girl, my 1st so I'm by no means an expert, but i usually use 1 wipe for a wet diaper always make sure to wipe front to back and 2-3 wipes for a dirty one. Ya just gotta make sure you get in all the creases, Also a discharge is quite normal in newborn girls something to do with the hormones that are passed from mother to baby.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #3

honeybeems HB User

i had 2 girls before i had my boy. it is a good idea to wipe them even if just wet. also don't use alot of powder, it can get all caked up inside them. at least with girls you don't get wet when the pee when you change them. good luck and enjoy.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

Sandra, I'm having a girl too, as you know. My friend just had her first baby (girl) and was freaked out a couple nights ago because she noticed lumps in her breasts right under her nipple. LOL. She freaked out and called the doc who said that was totally normal for a 1 week old. Something about moms hormones working their way out. I'm glad to know that one too because it would've worried me!

I'm in the same boat, even though I only have one son. The idea of a little girl just freaks me out for some reason. I think we have a tendency to think they are more delicate than boys for some reason. So I can imagine how you feel in your house full of testosterone!
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 03-02-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
(female)

jen1008 HB User

Baby girls are fabulous! Im so happy for you. Just a little tidbit that you might like to know, girls, generally are much more easy-going and much less sensitive than baby boys. Have fun and remember, its all basically the same except for the diaper changes. Put something absorbant under her, because when she does go while your changing her it goes everywhere under her.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

hahahahaha!!!! I was JUST thinking the same thing. I have a boy already and I am being induced either this friday or next friday. I was just asking my mom how the heck I take care of a girl, and she laughed at me. Rude huh? lol...... She says to me, "its not that different"...... I was like, HELLO???? Its pretty different, I am guessing. Im a bit nervous. YIKES....... Dont they come with a 'how to' manual?
Good luck to you.....

Jen

Old 03-03-2005, 07:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

With girls like someone else said make sure you check all the little nooks and crannies especially after a messy diaper, it DOES get in there. You should always use a wipe with girls. They can get rashes in that area pretty easy with all the urine. I have 2 girls and a boy. I think girls are easier to change. Just my opinion though! Girls you can kinda mindlessly wipe while boys you have to be careful if they pee, then trying to wipe the parts isn't always easy..then circumcision is torture the 1st week. ha ha

Good luck! You'll be pros in a week.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:03 AM   #8

mpsweetie77 HB User

This is my 1st post on this board...my little princess is just 21 days old today. But I had to write how very much I agree with jen1008's comment...when little princess' pee while you are changing them it may not squirt all over you but it does seem to create a rather large puddle that spreads underneath them (found that one out the hard way...on dh's pillow ).

Old 03-08-2005, 02:13 AM   #9
(female)

kristy_pmtd HB User

Baby girl's are soo easy to take care of (congrats btw) Just think of this I had my little girl potty trained at 17 months!!! And didnt have anymore accidents at night time at 19 months..Just dont let that discharge that newborn girl's have worry u like it did me. Its very normal, also dont try to wipe it off, Just wipe her mess off..My doc told me that it was a hormone from me to her to fight something, that it will come off over time (a month or 2 i think is how long it took).So enjoy that new baby of urs!!

Old 03-09-2005, 08:07 AM   #10
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Thanks for all the advice ladies. Im guess im not in the boat alone.lol thanks again. Im sure We will get use to it after a while. Im just so dumbfounded after 3 boys.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:12 PM   #11
(female)

louisianasgirl HB User

Yes I Have 3 A Girl 6 A Boy 4 And A Boy 2 Yes Differant Totally First Let Me Tell U Something Important Ok When She Is Born Do Not Be Alarmed When U See Her Genitials They Will Be Greatly Enlarged And A Bloody Or Greenish Discharge Might Leak From Her Nipples And Or Genitails I Freaked Out Freaked Out And Yes Useing A Wippy Does Help Not Letting Yeast And Whatnot Like Fecal Matter Go Inside Her But You Are So Blessed I Wanted One More Girl And Hopfully Will Be Adopting One In The Next Year I Had To Have A Hysteractomy But I Was So Lucky To Have My 3 Beautiful Kiddos Take Care And Feel Free To Ask Any More Questions Keep In Touch Perrin

Old 03-16-2005, 07:38 AM   #12
(female)

Charitysmommy HB User

There all great replys ,i have a 16 month old lil gurl.. pregnant and due again on sept.4th n i'm worried about having a boy (i don't know yet ) so i'll offer some advice on what i do know! my lil girl! when born she was preducing milk.. LOL i was worried.. they take alot of harmones from there mother ! she has yet to pee on me or at all when i've changed her thou cleaning my cloth Blinds she pee'd on that.. i love having my lil gurl..you now get to change colours.. from blue to pink !! and put dresses on her ! with bows and do her hair ..play with dolls do all the things you did when you were a kid so its a trip down memmory lane for you !! i find i can relate more to my girl cause iam a girl..and i missed lol playing with the dolls and strollers and doing all the things lil gurls do . anyways i wish you luck ! on your upcomming little baby gurl! take care!! and i know you will be the best mom..to her just like you are to your boys.. no diffrent just the parts.. and you can dress her in dresses and all the little gurl things.. take care .. lots of luv 2 you your boy and you upcomming girl !!

Old 03-23-2005, 08:07 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

ahall HB User

I just wanted to add something I never knew before, but when my daughter (now 7 mth) was 11 weeks, she became very sick and was in hospital for days with Ecoli. I couldn't figure out how she could have gotten this and the doctors told me not to use baby powder when I change her. They said the powder when it gets wet can form little pellets that can travel up the urine tract which is tiny in a baby and infect the baby's kidneys/bladder. They told me to only use cream. Its fine to use powder on any other part of a baby girl, just not around her bottom. Apparently the Ecoli bacteria is naturally found in the colon, and after a bowel movement if you wipe forward the bacteria can get in the vaginal where it "harvests" and go from there to the bladder either again by wiping forward or by those little powder pellets. I've never wiped her forward, but she was in daycare when she got sick, so maybe it happened there. They told me not to expect her to survive because she was too young and too sick, but she had big angels and shes still here. Just wanted to pass that on because its so preventable.

Closed Thread