It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
(female)

mommaoffour HB User
How early can I start my baby on regular milk

HI all,
I have a question here. I have a 9 month old and I nurse her right now. The problem is I have to wean her due to a medical problem that needs to be taken care of. I DO NOT want to give it up, it is one of the most precious things about caring for my baby, but it IS necessary. I do not want to put her on a bottle nor do I want to put her on formula, so what is the earliest that she can be put on cow's milk? If she can't be switched to that, then what about something else.
Thanks for your help.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User
Re: How early can I start my baby on regular milk

9 months is the earlist, though most Drs. recomend 1 year. My friend's DD hated formula and she also had to stop BFing because of medical reasons, so her DD was on milk from 8 months. I would ask your Ped and see what they recomend.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

I switched both of my kids at 9 months. I put them on whole milk til they were 2 years old. The transition was fine for both of them.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

My son started at 10 months, since he was eating well on solid foods. Once you start milk you have to remember it's a different role than formula. Formula would provide all the vitamins and nutrients the baby needed. While milk doesn't have the same quality as formula. You use it along with solid foods...served with breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:59 AM   #5
(female)

kristy_pmtd HB User

I started my kids on reg milk (vit D) at 7-8 months old. As long as they have a good diet with their veggies and fruits its not a problem. My kids turned out fine!!

Old 03-08-2005, 07:00 PM   #6

TAZMZN HB User

I switched my DS at one year. Doc said that was normal. But Jacob I learned is lactose intolerant, so he gets lactose free whole milk. Just remember like the other posters said, milk is not a substitute for BFing or formula. You need to be feeding a full balanced diet of other solid foods too. Or use something like PediaSure to make sure that your child is getting the proper nutrition. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2005, 05:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

There are plenty of medical problems and even medications that are safe with nursing. In some situations you can pump and dump a few times. I suggest that you see a board certified lactation consultant. She will be able to tell you what is safe or not. If you absolutely cannot nurse formula would be your best option until one year. Maybe try a sippy cup so you won't have to use a bottle.

Last edited by Mom22greatkids; 03-09-2005 at 05:26 AM.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:31 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Most Pediatricians recommend keeping your baby on the breast or formula until they are one year old. They really need all the extra nutrients and vitamins that are in the formula for they are doing so much growing and developing physically and mentally, not to mention it also helps their immune system to fight off infections and all the ever so common childhood illnesses.
Whole milk just cant offer that for your little one.

Good luck with whatever you decide. ValleyGurl

Old 03-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Mommy2Olivia HB User

I would check it out with the pediatricin but when I took my DD of 10 months into the doctors for her check up the doctor told us to switch her to milk b/c she was gaining the weight that we finally had hoped for and she was also refusing the formula again. So it was a great relief when he told us that we could start giving her milk Good luck and hope it all works out for you.

Charlotte

Closed Thread