It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User
When to increase amount of formula

Okay, I know this is probably gonna be a silly question, but Im willing to take that chance. Okay...I am having a baby shortly (about a week or less). I know in the beginning they don't eat a lot (per feeding). Do you just start them at 4oz automatically? Silly question huh? I have a 7 year old so I am SOOOO out of practice. When he came home, he was eating less than 2 oz because he was very premature. I am soooooo nervous about that. So do I assume that the baby is ready for more when she is still trying to eat when the bottle is gone? Im not breastfeeding, so this is all formula.....

Any suggestions?

Old 03-03-2005, 04:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User
Re: When to increase amount of formula

I started Gabby on 3oz for probably the 1st 5-7 days but as soon as she started draining the whole bottle we went up to 4oz shes now 7 weeks and NEVER drains a 5oz so we're back to 4oz bottles which she seems happy with She just wants a top up 1 1/2 - 2 hours later lol. Just take the lead from your baby, I had such a bad time the 1st couple of days in hospital with the midwifes 1st telling me I was feeding her too much then after I reduced her feeds and she wouldnt stop crying only to be told that she was hungry!!! After that I didnt take any of thier advice and did it our own way. Once I got home and asked my Gp about it she said it's basically impossible to overfeed a newborn, what they don't need they spit up. Hope this helps a bit. How exciting!!! Hope it all goes well for you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

Thank you sooooo much. I am so nervous cause it has been a while. I dont wanna overfeed and make her barf, and I dont wanna not feed her enough....oh boy. Im sure eventually I will get the hang of it again.

Thank you so much for your response!!!

Old 03-04-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
(female)

walflower2 HB User

I had my DS 2 months ago and didn't have a clue (not that I really do now either) This is my first child and I didn't know how anything really worked, as I have never been around many babies. But he seemed to know what to do. When he was hungry, he would cry and root for a nipple. He started out only eating a couple of ounces but now he eats anywhere from 4-8oz at a time. And when he is done, there is no mistaking it! He will push the bottle out of his mouth and make a face like you just put the most horrible tasting stuff in his mouth. Don't worry about it, you will do great- and your little one will let you know what he/she needs

Old 03-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #5

TAZMZN HB User

my ds number 2 is now 9 days old. He eats between 1.5 oz to 3.5 oz at each feeding, it varies. Just feed your baby until he/she doesn't seem interested anymore. BF babies will eat less, more often, formula fed babies tend to eat more less often. It will all depend on your baby and their needs. I don't even really time the closeness of Ethan's feedings, I just feed him when he is hungry, unless it is approaching 5 hours. The ped. at the hospital said that newborns should never go more than 5 hours without eating because their glucose levels drop and they could develp hypoglycemia. So, good luck, my first DS only ate formula and he gained about an oz a week in his feedings for the first month or so, then he tapered off. Congratz on your new baby!

Closed Thread