It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User
Ear Piercing

Okay, I hope this is okay to post here....But I am wondering if anyone knows what age is okay to consider piercing a baby's ears? I am being induced on March 10 (my birthday of all days) and I am having a girl. I really want to get her ears pierced. I think it would be so cute. But what age is that okay? Anyone know?

Thanks

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 11:26 AM   #2

honeybeems HB User
Re: Ear Piercing

i never got my girls done. it looks cute, but i was afraid of them choking on them. i worked in a daycare and we had one little girl that took one out and we found it in her mouth. i think she was 8 months old. i guess it just depends on if they start playing with them or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

I know where I live in Canada they have to be 6 months old for them to pierce their ears.

I think it's cute, but I just don't think I could do that to my DD. I come close to crying when I take her for her shots, lol.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
(female)

babyjaden2004 HB User

They say 6 months. I have read where 3-5 months is ok cause by then they have already had 2 doses of tetanus, and they need that to fight infections. I just can't bring myself to put pain on her that she doesn't need to have. I do think it is cute and have thought about it. My husband thinks it would be cute and I told him he can take her if he wants to. Good Luck if you do.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:15 PM   #5
(female)

AlliethePallie HB User

For me I did my daughter's ears at 13 months. I wanted to wait until her lobes had a chance to grow a bit. I have seen a few cases where you see girls and their earrings look like they are mid-lobe. She is now 11 and hers look perfectly placed.

I do have a tip: If you are going with a salon that uses guns and not needles (I suggest the guns for the babes) make sure they have 2 guns and 2 people to do it at the same time. It is much worse when you do one at a time. If you wait until she is older than 6 months like I did, take a sucker or something for her to have to stop the crying after. (and there will be crying)

The way I saw it when I did it was there was no way anyone could question whether or not she was a boy or a girl when she was small. I am happy I did it, but some people may find it is not for them. Good Luck with your decision.

Allie

Old 03-06-2005, 11:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

My daughter had her ears pierced by her doctor at 7 weeks old. No problems whatsoever from doing it at that age. The placement turned out good and everything. She is almost 11 years old now, and they look perfect.

Old 03-07-2005, 11:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Your Dr did it? Wow, I didn't think they did such things. I might have had it done if my Dr had done it for her. BUT at the same time, it is and unecessary procedure to put little ones through... it's all up to the parents.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

Yes, her pediatrician did it. Many pediatricians (at least in the Chicago area) do ear piercing in infants. That is why I did it. She cried for literally 30 seconds and that was it.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:48 AM   #9
(female)

astw22 HB User

I agree it looks cute on little ones but the way I see it is that it is their body and when my daughter is old enough to tell me she wants her ears pierced... I will take her to a salon and have it done... Its not my body to be poking holes in.. just my opinion... do what you feel is right for you and your daughter.. good luck!

Married DH - February 10, 2004
DD Avery Born - November 23, 2004

Old 03-09-2005, 11:18 PM   #10
(female)

louisianasgirl HB User

My Daughters 6 Years Old Now But I Got Her Ears Pierced When She Was 6 Weeks Old My Ped. Did It Ask Your Dr. I Know That Mine Did It And It Was Very Sterile And Safe And She Looked So Cute And We Had No Trouble At All Let Me Know Good Luck Perrin

Old 03-10-2005, 01:04 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Hi All, I see this is a very controversial subject. I think that it is a decision for the parent to make and if it makes you feel more secure in doing so then ask your pediatrician what his/her age recommendation is. I had my first daughters done when she was 6 weeks old and my second at 8 weeks. I would have had my 2nd daughters done sooner than 8 weeks but many of the salons in my area have changed their protocols on age and require the infant to have their first 2 sets of shots first. So when my daughter was 8 weeks i took her for her immunizations then left the doctors office and went
to the salon and had her ears pierced. They only cry for like a minute and then it is all forgotten. Literally. At that age they will never remember it.

As far as the baby getting them out and putting them in her mouth....if you buy the more expensive earrings ( the studs) the backs on them click (lock) on very very tight so chances of them coming off are very slim. If it is something you worry about then when you clean them everyday just double check the backs to make sure they are sucure.

I say go for it! They are just so darling!

ValleyGurl

Old 03-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

I really don't see ear piercing as a big deal. If you get them done as infants and they hate them when they are 10 years old or whatever, take them out! They'll close.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

I guess I see earpiercing as unnecessary pain for a baby. I would wait until she asks you to take her to get her ears pierced. Right now it is cute but she won't even notice until shes older. I can't stand taking my son for shots and those are necessary. My parents did that with me. I was 5 and was begging to get my ears pierced so they took me and it hurt! My mom had hers done as a small baby but she didn't want to hurt me unless I was asking for it lol.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:29 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

I believe they do need their tetanus shots. I did my daughters around 5 months. The piercing studs are VERY hard to get off so I couldn't imagine a baby could do it! My one daughter left hers alone and was fine. The other - by the time she was 1 was pulling them out. (I put little hoops in) So that was wasted!

Had no problems though.

April

Old 03-11-2005, 06:40 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Ms Harriet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayazmama
Okay, I hope this is okay to post here....But I am wondering if anyone knows what age is okay to consider piercing a baby's ears? I am being induced on March 10 (my birthday of all days) and I am having a girl. I really want to get her ears pierced. I think it would be so cute. But what age is that okay? Anyone know?

Thanks

Jen

i just had to reply to this one.
sure little girls with earings are too cute, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont go to a mall or like a claires store to get it done. pleeease dont pierce your baby with a gun. guns are not clean and they cannot be put through an autoclave to properly clean them. when the earing is shot out pieces of tissue and blood get splattered on the gun and you cant clean it out. there are places that use single use guns but they are very very very few and far between.
take your baby to a place where she can get get pieced with a needle. this is WAAAAAAY less painful and it will heal faster as it is not shot through the ear. also needles are single use so theres the clean issue also it will be easier for you to clean rings rather than studs, as babies do tend to play with studs and catch them on things. studs can become imbedded in the ear if the ear swells too much, and sometimes you actually need to have surgery to get them out.
I had my ears gunned probably about 4 times on each side when i was younger , each time they got infected and i had to take them out. presently i have 10 needle done holes in my ears and ive never had an infection in them and they have all healed in way less time than my gunned holes.

i was in claires the other day and there was a little girl in there id say under a year old and they pierced her ears with a gun and she just SCREAMED i had to leave the store because i felt so bad for the poor kid, so please please pierce with needles, less pain and very much more sanitary

Last edited by Ms Harriet; 03-11-2005 at 06:49 PM.

Closed Thread