It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

Breez HB User
Blood in stool

Last Sat. I noticed my son had some blood in his stool. It was mucusy and just a little bit. I checked his butt to make sure he didn't have a rash and wasn't bleeding anywhere else. I changed 3 poopy diapers and there was a tiny bit of blood in them. So I called the doc and was told to try switching formula's.. I've been giving him soy formula since he was 1 week because of the massive amount of gas he was having. He is now 3 weeks old.

Yesterday I took him to the docs and he pooped while we were there so they tested it and found some blood in there. What this doc told me was sometimes babies develope an allergy to the protiens in milk/milk based formula, the reason he has blood in his stool. So she gave me tons of this formula that is hypoallergenic.. so hopefully this works.

I just keep thinking that when someone has blood in their stool that it usually means that they have some kind of gastrointestinal bleeding. Which is making me doubt the dr's. But she insisted that he's fine.

Has anyone had any experiance's with this too?

Last edited by Breez; 03-16-2005 at 09:03 AM.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User
Re: Blood in stool

My DD has never had blood in her stool, but I know if I eat something that I'm alleric too (egg whites or bell peppers) then I will have blood in my stool. So I guess it's kinda common for allergies.

If it really bothers you, why not take him for a second opinion? I'm sure you Dr is right and he is just fine, but if nothing else, just to ease your mind. HTH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
(female)

wife&mom HB User

My daughter had the same problem when she was only a few days old. Her pediatrician switched her formula to carnation good start and it stopped instantly.

If you're still worried about it (as I know how unsettling it is to see) just do as worried mommy advised and see another pediatrician about it. Never hurts to be sure.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
(female)

louisianasgirl HB User

yes my kids all experianced that with my kids it was b/c they were pushing so hard that it created blood and mucas the first time i freaked out but they rushing my daughter to the dr. she said that it was normal so the next 2 little ones i was still a shocker but i didnt freak out but did CALL the ped. so dont be alarmed unless it happens all the time or great amounts of it your baby seams fine talk to ya later perrin

Old 03-17-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
(female)

Breez HB User

Thanks everyone. Since he's been on this new formula there hasn't been any more blood sightings The thing is.. with the other formula he was on, he wasn't fussy or spitting up at all. He was doing very well on it I'd say. It was just the blood. Oh well. He's doing good now and hopefully things will stay that way

Closed Thread