It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
(female)

Nermal1975 HB User
Weird rash on 16-month old...HELP!

My 16-month-old son has red spots on his back, legs and a little on his arms. They are red, scaly spots. They don't seem to be itchy however he's itching the crap out of his head near his ears and neck including one of his eyes. He's been on antibiotics for about three weeks because of a double ear infection but I can't seem to relieve the rash. I've tried creams and hydrocortisone but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Has anyone else had this problem? I feel so bad for the little guy...if he doesn't stop this itching I'm taking him back to the doctor.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Re: Weird rash on 16-month old...HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal1975
My 16-month-old son has red spots on his back, legs and a little on his arms. They are red, scaly spots. They don't seem to be itchy however he's itching the crap out of his head near his ears and neck including one of his eyes. He's been on antibiotics for about three weeks because of a double ear infection but I can't seem to relieve the rash. I've tried creams and hydrocortisone but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Has anyone else had this problem? I feel so bad for the little guy...if he doesn't stop this itching I'm taking him back to the doctor.
it is posible that your son is having an allergic reaction to the antibiotics. Call your doctor immediately....even if your son has been on this antibiotic before, it is possible he may have an allergic reaction. I would stop the antibiotic until you have this evaluated. He may need a dose of benadryl (put a call into your doctor if possible tonite). Such allergies can quickly worsten. When did this rash begin??? And is it raised and appear weltlike???....Goody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
(female)

Nermal1975 HB User

Yes, when he was put on Zithromax his bottom lip swelled up. We gave him Benadryl each time we gave the antibiotics. I suppose I'll keep giving him the Benadryl since the Zithromax keeps going after the doses have stopped (he hasn't had any antibiotics since Sunday but Zithromax keeps working for another five days after you stopped taking it.) He seems to be happier with the Benadryl. Would it be a good idea to give him an oatmeal bath tonight? Thanks for the quick response!!

Old 03-29-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

The oatmeal bath would be soothing...I think aveeno even puts out an oatmeal cream. The bath may be a good idea in terms of helping him through the night & you are right about the Zithromax remaining in his system.....so continuing the benadryl might be a good idea as well. Just remember to mention this reaction to your pediatrician because each time your son has an allergic reaction it will be worse than the last and the swelling may take place internally closing up his airway which may stop him from breathing. So do be sure to mention this to your doctor. If he worstens I would definitely bring him in because what is happening outside his body is also occurring on the inside. Good luck.....Goody

Old 04-05-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

My daughter has what sounds like the same spots. They started out on her arms and legs as these little red and dry. Our doctor said that they where normal in babies diffentlty in the winter months. Well a few weeks ago i noticed that it was starting on her back and stomach. I was really starting to get worried about it. Then a fews weeks ago we went to the mall. We had forgotten her stroller, so we had to end up carrying her around. We were all hot from carrying her around. When we got home i noticed that the rash was really bad. She gets heat rash so easy. So she looked really bad. Anyways since that day with the heat rash the dry red spots have been really bad. The doctor said to put eucerin creme and hydrocortinsone on it. So thats what we do every day. It seems to help. You can really tell if we miss a day of putting on the cremes. The doctor also told me not to use lotion on her because that would make it worse. Lotions had stuff in them that can dry out the skin so cremes are better. I don't know if they have the samething, but it sounds like it. When my little one gets to hot then it makes the rash worse.

Closed Thread