It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Do you boil water for formula?

The can of formula says to boil the water and cool it before making formula. Does anyone do this? I don't recall having to do that with my first baby (10 years ago). The doctor said it's okay to make formula with city water and it's actually good for them because it has flouride in it, but I didn't think to ask about boiling it. That seems like such a hassle. If it's necessary, is there a trick to make it easy? We all drink the city water and have never had any problems.

Old 05-15-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Re: Do you boil water for formula?

I was told the same thing you were by the doc. I only make formula occasionally, but when I do I use distilled water with flouride from the store. I only do that because our apartment tested over the legal lead level in the water and we are still waiting on the Air Force to move us to another building. But with my son, I gave him lots of formula, and I always used tap water.
DD born 3/24/2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

With my daughter, we never boiled water for her formula. I never even thought about it to be honest. But her dr said city water was fine straight from the tap, and like you said, it's because of the flouride. But now where we live, we have well water. And we got a report on our water quality, and it said that babies up to 6 months should not drink it at all. So instead of boiling it, cause we have hard water, and it leaves a nasty white residue, we are just going to buy the gallon jugs of water they have right next to the formula in the stores. But if you have city water, and if your dr hasn't mentioned boiling it, then I wouldn't waste my time with it. But you could always do one of those free water quality tests and make sure it is safe. But I would think it is fine. Hope that helps!

Old 05-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks for the input. My MIL is driving me nuts about using tap water because her daughter used bottled water. Her daughter lives in Vietnam, and if I lived in a foreign country, I'd use bottled water too, but she doesn't seem to see the difference there. When she came to visit my in-laws, they had well water, so she used bottled water there too. Again, a difference she fails to recognize. She also has issues with city water because she's always had well water, and she thinks our water has bleach in it. I think if it did, people would die from ingesting it.

Old 05-16-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

dannysmom HB User

I have always used bottled water, because I don't like having flouride in the tap water. When you stop to think about it a baby that is drinking lots of formula is ingesting lots of flouride. Why are there warning labels on toothpaste about too much flouride and no one thinks about how much a baby is getting through tap water. And by the way, I have 3 kids and none of them have any cavities.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

I have never boiled the water for my little girls formula. I do however use the nursery water which contains flouride. I don't drink water from the tap myself, so i figure if i don't drink it why should i make her. Our city water has been tested and it isn't good. I would want to drink. Plus if you thing of all the stuff that people flush down their toilets. Like old drugs or illegal drugs. I know all that is filtered, but still no thanks. I don't want it and i don't want my little one drinking it either. Everyone lives in different area and has different opnions on things. That is your child and it is your choice on what you give to him or her. I think that mothers or in laws should respect what you want to do as the childs mother. I had some problems with my mother in law when my little was first born. I know how much of a problem that can be.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

We have well water and are planning to buy bottled water. Although, I do not understand why city water is considered cleaner than well water. My Mom saw a report on 20/20 or one of those shows that said that city water contained traces of feces, shampoo, nail polish remover, cleaners all these awful things! And i recently saw a thing that bottled water was no cleaner than NYC tap water! I personally drink our well water, I think it would be MUCH safer, but we are going to use the bottled water cause that is what we are told. But I do plan to ask the ped when we see them next week!

Closed Thread