It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

elsabet HB User
Question What age to you start feeding jar baby food

Hi all, Could you please tell me if you know, At what age is it safe to feed a baby jarred veggies and fruit? My daughter inlaw. has been feeding her baby, (he just turned 4 mths old yesterday) Jarred veggies, since he was 3 months old. and said that she is now going to start him on table food, (mashed potaotes and squash). I think that things have changed since I raised kids., The rule of thumb. they get enough nutrients from the formula or beast milk. and shouldn't introduce food until they are aleast 6 months old. I feel their little tummies can not diegest this food yet, and could run into a lot of troubles later. I know that after I had feed him what is mother told me to feed. it was not 5 min. later, and he cried 20 min straight. pulling his legs up. To me that meant his belly was hurting him. Have things changed that much in 22 years? I startd my son on a rice cereal paplum at the age of 6 weeks, then at around 8-9 months, I started to slowly introduce the store Jar baby food. Does anyone else have any different idea? I would appicate any info you can give me Thanks

Old 05-20-2005, 05:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User
Re: What age to you start feeding jar baby food

You are right here. Between 4 and 6 months is the time to start introducing baby rice cereal, then jars of veggies between 6 and 8 months. All babies are different and this is just a rough guildline though. By feeding the foods too early you could be setting them up for allergies and stomache problems later. I'd tell your DIL too ask her Ped about it, They will give her lots of information. Good Luck and CONGRATS ON YOU GRANDCHILD!

Last edited by worried_mommy; 05-20-2005 at 05:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 06:26 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bren7 HB User

My 2nd son (now 8 1/2 yrs old) was on jar food at 4 month a bit before, he refused the breast and bottle. By 6 months he was on stage 3 food, by 9 months solely on table food

My youngest son (now 9 months old) the dr had me start in on ceral at about 3 months and jar food veggie a week after, 1 veggie at a time for 5 - 7 days until we got though all the veggies then on to the fruits, my son by 6 months was on stage 2 jar foods. He has a hard time with chuckier foods right now he does eat some table food and some stage 3 foods.

Every kid is different and handle food differently. She is doing what she thinks is best for her son.
My mother has a fit when I feed my son, my son just started eating every 4 hrs during the day(4 times in 24 hrs), but when he was eating every 3 hrs and 3 jars of food per sitting (5 meals in 24 hr), my mom my having a fit, she'd said "You are feeding him again? You are feeding him that much?" I feed my son when he is hungry and I let him eat til he is full, my mother doesnt think that is right. My mother doesnt like the way I raise my kid, its not the way she would she hers. My kids arent hers to raise, she raised her kids, she made her mistakes, and want dont want my kids raised the way she did it. Every parent is going to make mistakes, but as long as they arent hurting their kids it should be the parents decision. Every parent wants the best for the kid, most parents want to do some things different then their parents did. I'm not saying anything bad against my parent or any parents or grandparents, my parents did what they thought was best, Im doing what I think is best.

Basically, I am just saying you may not agree with your DIL, but it is her child and she is going what she thinks is best, her best may not be the way you did it or would do it.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I was told 4-6 months, but if her pediatrician told her 3 months, then she should do what her pediatrician recommends. I would caution you, though, to be sensitive when questioning your daughter-in-law because it may make her feel like you don't have confidence in her as the mother of your grandchild. My mother-in-law and I have always gotten along really well, but since I got pregnant and have had a baby (my 2nd, my husband's first), she has been driving me crazy questioning everything I do differently than her daughter, as if all of a sudden I got stupid, careless and lost the ability to think, never mind the fact that I have already been here before with my now 10-year-old. My sister-in-law (husband's brother's wife), who recently got pregnant, told me that she has been driving her nuts ever since she got pregnant, as if she would intentionally harm her unborn child (I would never have discussed my mother-in-law with anyone in the family; she confided in me independently). I know you mean well, all I'm saying is try to be sensitive when you discuss it with her. Even though your intentions are good, she may take offense.

Old 05-20-2005, 02:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

The stage 1 baby food is designed for their lil bellies. They say now not to give rice cereal until 3 months. jared food at 4-6 months.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

My pedictrician had me start jarred foods at 4 months. My DD also has reflux and they said the heavier the foods the easier it would be for her. I have also read a tone of baby books. This is my first baby and i want to make sure i am not doing anything wrong. The books i have read say that if you baby watches you eat. You move your food to your mouth. Then they maybe ready for jarred foods. My ped told me when to start her food, but they also say your baby will let you know too. My little one is now 8 month she eats the 2nd foods and some of the 3rd foods. Plus she gets finger foods like cheerios, fruit puffs and toast. We give her some table foods. Like mashed potatoes, fruits, and green beans. She loves that stuff. She does great with it. Since we introuduced her to foods she has always chewed it. We got the ok from her doctor to do all this. I am the crazy first time mom. I don't do anything the doctor doesn't ok. So i think that if you DIL doctor recommeded all this then she is fine.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:39 PM   #7
(female)

elsabet HB User

Thank-you to all who replied. I am sorry If I offended some of you. I don't think my question was about how I feel my dil is raising her child. or that I doubt her abilities. If she doesn't ask. I do not tell her. I believe my question was. On average, at what age do you start to feed your baby jar baby food and or table food? I didn't think things have changed that much, and babies today are different. I did what my dil asked of me. feed 1/2 jar of baby food (squash), sm. bowl of pablum, (maybe 1/2 cup, I didn't measure it.) and 8 oz bottle of formula all in one sitting. I thought, and only thought, never voiced my opinion, that just maybe that was alittle bit too much, After all it is her son and she knows what is best. I only did what all gramma's do, follow moms wishes, keep to routine, bathed, changed clothes and paced the floor with a crying baby for the better part of our visit. Handed him over to his mommy saying I will see you next time. I am sorry that I asked a question. and even sorrier that I responded back in this way. That is out of the norm. for me. I am just an (not so old ) gramma who loves every chance she gets to visit with her grandchild.
Have a super fantastic night!

Old 05-21-2005, 01:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

elsabet, I'm sorry if some of us offended you. That was certainly not my intention. New moms get all sorts of conflicting advice and questioning of every little thing they do with their babies, some even from complete strangers who feel compelled to give us their opinions. We are constantly having to justify our actions to everyone and their mother. Sometimes it feels like absolutely no one trusts that we have our babies' best interest at heart, and it gets really old, especially when we're sleep-deprived. I didn't mean to offend, I only meant to share my experience and my sister-in-law's experience from our perspective as daughters-in-law. By questioning everything and making us feel like we're constantly doing things wrong, my mother-in-law is creating a lot of distance between us. Unfortunately, if we tell her how she's making us feel, it will create more distance. I'm not saying that's how your daugter-in-law feels, but am just cautioning you to be sensitive when questioning things that your daughter-in-law is doing differently than you or someone you know so you don't unintentionally create distance between you and your daughter-in-law. Please do not take offense. I was sincerely trying to help.

Old 05-21-2005, 04:56 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

bren7 HB User

I too am sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention. I am sorry if you took it that way. I was just tring to help.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

I am sorry as well. I didn't want to offend you. Just wanting to give the information i have as a new mommy.

Old 05-28-2005, 07:19 AM   #11
BabyMomma26

I was told by the Dr to add cereal in my sons bottle at 4 weeks...VERRY LITTLE, but he was drinking 4 oz every 2 hrs. He started on fruit and veggies like 4 months, but since he was in daycare, he went right to the little cans of food (noodles and stuff)

Old 05-29-2005, 04:27 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

i started rice cereal at four months. my dr said only cereals and some juice (mixed with half water) until six months and then move on to the jar food.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

I was told that formula fed babies may begin having rice cereal at 4 months. Also when they are drinking close to 30 ounces of formula it is time to give them rice cereal. Thats what my son was doing. drinking a lot of formula and since he was 4 months old I began giving him rice creal gradually. When he was close to 6 months old we introduced fruit first and then vegetables. I just went by the book with stuff like that since I didnt want him to have trouble digesting food or getting allergies. I know back in the old days parents were giving babies rice cereal at 2 weeks old to help them sleep longer stretches at night. These days it is not recommended unless the baby has severe reflux. You will also know when your child is ready when they are willing to open up for the spoon each time it comes to their mouths. The first time we gave my son rice cereal he opened up like a champ and at it all up as if he had been doing it forever, so we knew he was ready in that sense as well.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:22 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Oh also as a daughter-in-law many of us have some friction with the mother-in-laws and I believe that is why some posters on here answered your questions defensively. Because we are used to feeling judged by our mother-in-laws and perhaps they felt like you may be "judging" your daughter-inlaw. I however feel you asked a very valid question and I would do the same if I was worried it may be unhealthy for the baby, sometimes parents do what they think is best when it really is not best. I would be concerned for the baby no matter whos baby it was if I thought he was too young and acted like he was having problems digesting the food. You sound like a caring grandma which is great!

Old 06-20-2005, 04:40 AM   #15
(female)

Breez HB User

I've been giving my DS rice cereal in his bottle since he was 2 1/2 months. One bottle at night, before bed. For the past few weeks I've been trying him on some stage 1 foods and cereal mixed with formula to a thin texture. Sometimes he swallows, sometimes he doesn't. I don't try the food everyday though, maybe just once a week.

Closed Thread