It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User
Animals

My baby will be here soon, which means I have to bring him home soon. And I wondering what to do about my animals? My dog and my sister's dog live outside so that won't be a problem till later. And probably not even then. We have hamsters, but until the baby gets old enough to crawl they should pose a problem should they? And a bunny that lives outside, I can't see how that would be a problem, I just wonder how old the baby should be before I bring the bunny in to "play"
My main problem is my cat, Summer. She isnt' really mean, she is just weird. She has no claws, and she has never bitten anyone, but sometimes she hisses really loud when she gets scared, also cats are nasty, lol. Anyway I have heard that cats will try lick baby's mouths because of the smell of milk, is that true?
I know that Summer does not like baby's. A friend had her little girl over, and after we took the baby out of the carseat (Summer wouldn't go near while she was in it) she attacked it! Summer has her own room, it's pretty good sized so we plan to just leave her in it for the first little bit, until the baby can move around good. I think when he gets old enough to wave his arms around and such she will be scared of him, she is rather skittish. But the other problem with her is, she plays rough. Do you think that 6 months would be too young to let Summer out? Or would it be ok to let her out earlier?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User
Re: Animals

Oh and obviously, I won't leave them together unattended until much much later

Old 06-01-2005, 02:38 AM   #3
(female)

fifistoosh HB User

Don't know much about the age of your baby to be introduced to the animals, sorry.

What I did want to say is make sure you buy a cat net for over the top of your crib and pram. Cats like to go to sleep on anything warm and some babies have been suffercated by cats sleeping on their face.

sorry, i didn't want to frighten you, just wanted to let you know incase you didn't already. Good luck with the new baby, you are gonna have your hands full with all the animals too!

Old 06-01-2005, 05:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

I had 3 cats and a dog and didn't have a problem. What we did was make the babies room/chairs off limits months before we had her. While I was in the hospital DH brought home a blanket used for DD and let the animals smell it. That way they had her scent before she got there. When we did actually bring her home they all came out and peaked around, then never bothered with her again. Now my youngest cat and her (16mo) are the best of friends. He never leaves her side. Even at bath time he sits on the edge of the bath. At bed time he lies next to her crib until she falls asleep. When she was younger he used to sleep across her doorway all night. I still never leave the two alone together, but I would trust him very much with her. I've even caught her lying on him like a pillow, lol.

Make sure as your baby gets older you teach them never to bother an eating or sleeping animal. And when you come home from having your baby, be sure to give the animals a little extra attention, so they won't feel jelious. Other then that I think it's great for babies to be exposed to animals. Good luck with your lil one!

Old 06-01-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
(female)

amimcm HB User

I have 3 cats and 1 dog as well and didn't have any problems. They all love the baby. We installed a screen door on the baby's room so I could have the door open but it keeps the cats out. I remember the day I came home from the hospital. I brought her into her room to change her and I looked up to see all 3 cats sitting at the screen door starring in. They were a little frightened at first especially when she cried, but warmed up very quickly. Now they love walking past in her bouncer and she squeels and laughs when she sees them.

The dog stays out a lot because he is a siberian husky and loves the outdoors. We brought home a blanket from the hospital and let him get use to the baby's smell.

The problems with pets don't usually come into play until the baby starts walking and pulling ears and tails. It just takes a watchful eye and teaching him/her to be nice to the animals. Always keep small children/babies away when pets are eating. Even a good tempered animal can become aggressive if it feels its meal is being messed with.

Good luck!

Old 06-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

amimcm-my dog is a siberian husky also, and he stays outside all the time, he is so dirty, lol. We got him at age 8 and he was very very sick, only weighed 42lbs. And he was mean then, a year and a half later, he is great now, 72 pounds, and pretty sweet. But he has never been around children much, and while I don't think he would bite the baby, unless he provoked him, and hey if someone took my dinner or poked me in the eye, i might bite them too, he just plays really really rough. But I have decided to wait and cross that bridge when I come to it!
Our bedroom and baby's room have been off limits to Summer for months now, btu she still runs in as often as she can. Once the baby can move, Summer will leave him alone, she is very skittish. But before that she may try to "play" with him. The screen door is a great idea though! I am going to talk to DH about that. The baby's room doesnt' have a vent in it, so it only gets air through the door connecting to our room and the window A/C not a big deal cause the room is small, but that means we can't close the door.
You guys are such a great help!

Old 06-01-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User

Cattios i am so glad you posted this question. I live alone with my cat Simon. He is almost 2 and he is so lovable. It has just been me and him so ive been wondering how he will warm up to my baby girl. Simon loves to sleep in my bed every night but in the beginning the baby will be in my room too. I will never leave the 2 of them alone, i just hope Simon is just as sweet to her as he is to me.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Haha Babygirl! One of my cats sleeps with me too. I got him when I was only a couple of weeks pregnant. I was on bed rest for a long time, so he became very attached to me right from the start. Now he and DD and the best of friends. He is very protective of her. I think they know that this is your baby and want to help you protect them, lol. We had a very full bed for awhile. My cat would sleep on my pillow, then DD between DH and I, lol. Now if DD is sick and we let her in our bed the cat will lie beside her and let her cuddle him. He is/was very attentive when she cried and would rub up angainst her and make her laugh.

My other 2 cats don't pay much attention to her. I do not allow them in her room. I guess it all depends on your animal. You will see how they react and go from there.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

ohhh one more thing I wanted to mention is to be sure you deworm your animals every 4 months. If a baby under 2 gets worms it can cause them to go blind, or so my Vet told me. And worms are just gross anyway :P

Old 06-02-2005, 06:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Can inside animals get worms? Do hamsters get worms?
And yes they are very gross, Summer had them when we first got her, she came from the bank, lol, and she was really sick with them.
But the dogs live outside so I have no idea how we would tell if they had them.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

The cat and dogs should be dewormed every 4 months as a precaution, indoors or out, because your cat could easily catch them from the dogs. Worms are transferred by mouth, ie: eating, drinking, licking from the same food bowls, grooming etc. and also feces.

I don't think the hampster gets the same kind of worms. Rodents can still get tape worms, but I think you would know if he had one by now. Other then that if he hasn't shown any signs of having them or been in contact with any other animals I think he's ok.

When my Grandmother, who lived upstairs from us, got a new puppy he was full of round worms, he gave them to my kitten too. We treated both but the vet said our rabbit (rescued from being snake food!) wouldn't get them, being in the rodent family. I would assume hamsters to be the same.

As for your cat going outside at 6 months. Does she have all of her needles? Is she fixed? You'll really want to be sure all of your pets have all of their needles before the lil one comes along.

We took our cats to the vet for a check-up before the baby came along, but that can be rather expensive. We know our vet very well from previous cats and dogs we adopted, and she would give us a discount for regular check-ups. (Like charge us for 1 cat instead of 3!)

Old 06-02-2005, 07:29 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

My cat and dogs don't ever see each other. My dogs live exclusively outside, expect for the occasional times Festus (the husky) sticks his foot in the door, lol. And the cat exclusively indoors. I may not have explained where she would be for the first six months. We have a sunroom, and a mud room off it, that is her room. She likes having her own room, and even has to be put to bed each night. Well what I had planned was for the first bit was to leave her confined to the sunroom and her room, she would have plenty of space, 16x12 and we would certainly not neglect her. Then what I meant was when the baby got old enough we would let her into the house. She has no claws so she can't go outside. Twice, she has walked out onto the porch outside her room when I was feeding the rabbit, and both times it lasted about three seconds, lol.
So is there still a way she could get worms?
Anyway someone said something about worms making kids go blind I know that rign worms don't and I am pretty sure that inolder kids instetinal worms which I think are the same as cats and dogs get, don't a boy I went to school with had them when we were inlike 2nd grade, I remeber cause we all thought it was really gross, lol. But it may be different with small children.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Well if it was me I would deworm them all anyway, because they can pass the worms to you and you can pass them to you're baby. But that's just my opinion.

And it was me who said intestinal worms can make a child go blind. Ringworm isn't a worm, it's a fungal infection on the skin.I found this....revised so it's not plagerized:P

Ingestion of roundworm larvae can cause severe health problems in people, especially children . Depending on the species of worm, these larvae can migrate through the skin and other organs, causing pain and/or organ dysfunction. Most cases are asymptomatic. Symptoms could include fever, nausea, edema (limb swelling), and even seizuring. Especially terrible is when the larvae migrate through the eye, which is called ocular migrans. This can cause blindness, vision loss, and pain. According to the CDC, there are 750 cases of ocular migrans every year.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

That must have not been what that kid had then, I know it wasn't ring worm, it was some other kind of worm, but he wasn't that sick. He only missed like one day of school. I will definetly see about getting some stuff from the vet!

Old 06-03-2005, 07:55 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

I don't think ringworm is harmful at all. It's just a rash that is treated with over the counter creams. It really isn't a worm at all. Actually I have it at the moment from treating a stray cat who we feed for it lol. He had it on his paws and I had the stuff for it because one of our cats had it before, but he passed it to me, lol. Oh well, his is gone now after 2 weeks of treating it, and mine is slowly going away.

It's the parasitic worms you have to worry about. They're skeery!

Closed Thread