It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
(male)

songer99 HB User
cradle cap

Our poor little baby has a pretty bad case of cradle cap. He had hair when he was born but he is losing it all when the flakes come off!! It's so sad...his hair comes off with the dry scalp flakes and he has a bunch of bald spots!

two questions:
1) Is there a way to treat this without the hair falling out, and
2) Will the hair grow back? How long does it take?

Thanks

Old 06-07-2005, 01:24 AM   #2
(female)

vahoney HB User
Re: cradle cap

i have a two month old son he had a head full of hair wen he was born and he has cradle cap and his hair is balwding as well use baby oil and brush his head very lightly and it should go away

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 02:39 AM   #3
(female)

pootie231 HB User

my ds also had really bad cradle cap-it never really went away completely, but I also was told to massage baby oil into the hair and scalp to soften the flakes and then use a fine toothed comb to gently comb the loose ones out. It did help a lot-also do not overdo it with the shampoo and rinse really well after bath. Hope that helps!

Old 06-07-2005, 03:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Most babies lose the hair that they are born with, so I think it's just a coincidence. And yes, it will grow back, it just takes a little while (many months). Both of my kids had it and my doc said to use Selson Blue. It works like a charm! But it's pretty intense, so make sure that you don't let it sit on their head for long. My daughter also got it on her eyebrows, and for that I was told to use a mild hydrocortazone cream (sp?)

Old 06-07-2005, 04:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

The baby oil works pretty well for the cradle cap. The hair falling out is a coincidence and most likely doesn't have anything to do with the cradle cap. They lose the hair they are born with, particularly if it is lighter, and new hair grows in - sometimes even a different color. My first was born with a full head of black hair that fell out and came back in blonde. She is 10 years old and still a blondie. My 6-week old loses her hair here and there a little at a time. She has a very mild case of cradle cap, but she's losing her hair in other spots where she doesn't have cradle cap.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

The baby oil works pretty well for the cradle cap. The hair falling out is a coincidence and most likely doesn't have anything to do with the cradle cap. They lose the hair they are born with, particularly if it is lighter, and new hair grows in - sometimes even a different color. My first was born with a full head of black hair that fell out and came back in blonde. She is 10 years old and still a blondie. My 6-week old loses her hair here and there a little at a time. She has a very mild case of cradle cap, but she's losing her hair in other spots where she doesn't have cradle cap.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Old 06-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #8
(female)

amimcm HB User

My son had cradle cap and I took the flakes off with baby oil and then used a special shampoo from Pure Baby that kept the cradle cap from returning. I liked this shampoo alot. I used it for his first year and he never got cradle cap again.

For my daughter, I used Gentle Naturals Cradle Cap Treatment. It worked well at removing it.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User

My ped told me to use Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo..It worked great..I was worried it would be to strong for her little scalp,but she assured me it was okay and it was....
Ralinda

Old 06-15-2005, 12:32 AM   #10
(male)

songer99 HB User

Thanks to all for your responses!!!

I have another question now, I think the poor guy's head is itchy, because he always rubs his head against the bumper pad in his crib. And the other day he started picking at the top of his head and it bled. Poor guy.

Does the hydrocortizone cream help with the itching? We want him to stop scratching his head open!!

Old 06-15-2005, 03:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Yes, the hydrocotizone cream will help. Just becareful of him getting it in his eyes. But when my son's was really bad I had a few nights where I slathered his head in the stuff. Makes for some sticky hair, but it's worth it

Old 08-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
(male)

OCdad HB User

our toddler has this same thing as Songer99's child. She has flakes on her scalp and when they come off, sometimes clumps of hair come with them. We were told by a GP that it may be alopecia areata, but it seems the flakes are not typical with this condition. Can anyone offer insight as to what this is? Could it just be severe cradle cap?

Thanks so much for your help!

Closed Thread