It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
(female)

samantha1982 HB User
when can my newborn use his swing?

he's 3 weeks old and weighs 8 pounds. the swing looks HUGE compared to him and i'm a little afraid to use it yet. should i wait a few more weeks? and when would he be able to use his bouncy seat?

Old 09-19-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Re: when can my newborn use his swing?

I had my twins and my son in their swings on the first or second day they came home. I just put the little thing that you put in their car seats that holds their heads straight, I put that in there and rolled up two blankets, one on each side and proped them in nice and snug, make sure she/he can not slip through the bottom. That baby will LOVE it! What do you think it was doing in your tummy when you walked? You may find him/her being soothed alot. lol IF I was not holding my babies they were in their swings. I attached a tape recorder and played music while they slept too. As for the bouncy seat I'm pretty sure my children were six months. Good luck! Congrats too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
(female)

Karen62705 HB User

Well.....I used the swing and the bouncy seat the day I brought him home from the hospital....I believe he was 6lb. 8oz when we brought him home.

I wanted to take a nice bath, but didn't want to leave him, so I put him in the bouncy seat and brought it into the bathroom with me...I have been doing it every bath since then!

Then I used the swing because I was dieing to sleep in my bed on my belly now that my huge belly was gone It was the only place at the time I was comfortable putting him in while we both napped. I swaddled him nicely in a blanket and put the swing on "low" .

I never thought twice about either of those.

Old 09-19-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Dani Girl 78 HB User

My baby loved his swing, he was in it the day after we got home. He was 8.1lbs and 20in long. He loved it so much that that is where he slept. He wouldn't sleep in a bassinet or crib. So that was his "bed" until he was about 3mths old. Now he is in his own bed in his own room (wa-who).

On a side not, you will know when your baby outgrows the swing...it wont swing them any more...lol. I felt bad for the swing, it really tried, but failed. It said it was good up to 25lbs. He is just now 21lbs and the swing has been in the closet now for a good 2mths.

Last edited by Dani Girl 78; 09-19-2005 at 06:06 PM.

Old 09-19-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

My DD loved her swing and bouncy seat. She used the bouncy seat at around 4 weeks, and the swing around the same time too. They were her best friends. And my DS who is 12 weeks likes them too, except we can't put him in there too much since his sister who is 2 tries to join him in there all the time. But when she's not around him, he get's to go in them both. And like someone said, just put some rolled up blankets in there to help support their head, it works well. So at your baby's age, it should be fine to use both.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:03 PM   #6
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

I guess you guys call a bouncy seat that little seat that sometimes has a vibration button on it and it lies on the floor pretty much. I called the bouncy seat that thing that looks like a saucer that has little toys on it. So if that's what a bouncy seat is then I NEVER used it. My kids were too sqirmy and would hang over the side of that little seat. I am over protective though. lol

Old 09-19-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
(female)

JLMandPaul HB User

I put my little one in her swing the day we brought her home. She was 6lbs 8oz, shes now 2 weeks. I also used some rolled up towels to keep her safer. She seems to like it and its great for me when Im cleaning around the house, I have 2 (both shower gifts) so I keep one upstairs that I put her in when I take a shower and am straightening up the rooms. Ive used the bouncy seat that she has also, she seems to be ok in that too.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User

I used the bouncy seat right away with the head thing. I was going to use the swing on low but my mom said not to. I called the Dr and they said to check the swing to see what the weight requirements are. Well, the swing only says not over 25 lbs. So I waited a little while before using it. I really should have because now he loves it.

Soulcatcher - "that thing that looks like a saucer that has little toys on it" --that is an exersaucer.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

A bouncy seat is an actual "seat" that lays back and is similar to what a car seat is like. And it bounces and moves when they move around. Like someone said, I think you are thinking of an exersaucer...I call that like a walker type thing. Just it's stationary, whereas the walker isn't. My DD didn't use the walker till around 6 months...good god her head would have flopped all around too when she was littler...lol.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:57 AM   #10
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

LOL, yea that wouldn't be good would it??? hahahaha

Old 09-20-2005, 10:09 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Boo Boo HB User

Hi,

well my dd is nearly 6 weeks and l have not used my baby swing yet as babies spine are still soft and my baby wasnt weighing very much at the moment she is around 8ilbs ish. Im going to get her weighed 2maro. I am going to wait untill she is 2 months and depending on her weight too.

Closed Thread