It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2005, 08:16 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

S&J HB User
Re: August Moms/August Babies

Kierrasmommy...i was only planing on giving him a bottle once in awhile..when dh and i want to go to a movie or something. I was wanting to mix formula with breastmilk to increase the ounces..as i'm only pumping 1-2.5 oz a day..and Troy eats almost 4oz. I totally forgot about Healthlink!! I called a few times in the beginning but never thought to call about this that's a great idea! Just another quick question...would I replace the water that's needed to mix the formula with breastmilk? Say i have the 2 oz of frozen milk..would i then add one scoop of the formula and that would make 3 oz right? This is all sooooo confusing! haha
I haven't had a chance to look at the Sears catalogue yet..but i'd love to get the page number!!
thanks !

Laur--i did the same thing today!!!! Troy looked soooo cute in the leaves. I had a little hat on and he was adorable!!! I didn't see any PC premixed formula either.

Spanish---i hope dd is feeling better!

Well gotta go
DH rented a scary movie and we're going to watch it right now!! ahhhhh
talkto you all soon!
S

Last edited by S&J; 10-09-2005 at 08:27 AM.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:23 PM   #17
(female)

Sarahj HB User

Hello all..it is finally the end of my first week back to work. It was hard leaving her but is necessary. I just can't afford to stay home any longer.

Spanish-I know exactly what you mean about the baby clothes sizes. Tala has grown out of some of her 0-3 stuff too..but she also still fits into some of the preemie clothes we both after she was born. She is fitting nicely into 0-3 sleepers, which is what we usually put her in. It is starting to get cold here so I had to buy alot of new stuff and pack away her summer clothes. You also asked about teething...I have been told that if they turn away the bottle or breast after a few seconds and they are drooling alot that is an early sign of teething. Tala has discovered her hands and sucks on them constantly. She won't take a pacifier but will suck like crazy on her hands. She also started drooling a lot lately. Just in the last week or so. When we gave her the bottle she would go for it right away then after a few sucks, she would turn away and cry.

Kierrasmommy-we have started putting Tala in her swing to sleep at night. She actually almost sleeps through the night in it. Of course, we are going through the batteries like crazy! We will have to start moving her to her crib eventually just so she doesn't get too used to the swing. When we do, I will definitely be needed the wedge thing. She is already starting to get a little too used to the swing so that may have to be soon. Today we went shopping and we just couldn't get her to sleep until we got home and put her in her swing.

S&J-I think Tala is rolling early because of her size. She is still very small...about 10 lbs we think (haven't had her weighed...got on the scale without her then with her for an estimate). By the way, which enfamil were you going to try Troy on? Tala has always been on Enfamil..and we have tried several types.

Well, I'm going to get Tala up to "top off"...Glad to see everyone is doing well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2005, 11:07 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiedy HB User

Sarahj,

I just did the same thing w/ my DS, for over 2mo he slept in his car seat and I just transfered him into his crib this week, worrying that he was too used to it (he would never lie flat on his back and always woke up if I tried putting him in his crib). I also worried about the constant position of his head. Luckly he was ok w/ falling asleep. The only problem for about 6 days was that he would wake up after 2 hours, rather than the 5-6hrs I started getting used to. Last night was the first nigth he slept 4hrs. Hopefully it will continue getting better. Hopefully it will work well for you too.

Last edited by Kiedy; 10-08-2005 at 11:09 PM.

Old 10-09-2005, 08:33 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

S&J HB User

SarahJ
We ended up getting the powdered enfamil. We just wanted to try that first and if he takes it ok we may switch to presidents choice. I'm kind of scared to try formula because of gas that ds may have...but if that's going to happen we just deal with it!
HOw old is Tala again? When do baby's usually start to roll over? I guess it's different for many right? troy will be 11weeks soon and i'm wondering if i should be concerned?
well we're off to have some turkey at my relatives!
have a super day everyone!
S

Old 10-10-2005, 12:44 PM   #20
(female)

Sarahj HB User

S&J-Tala is 8 weeks old. She seems to be ahead on alot of her developmental things though. I wouldn't worry too much about Troy not rolling over at 11 weeks. Boys do develop alittle slower than girls. There is a little boy at my daycare that is 4 months and he hasn't rolled yet. It is true that every baby is different. Also, if the formula gives him gas, try gas drops. I have found that the name brands do make a difference of them. We tried a few off brands and they didn't seem to work as well. It may be because of the taste too..Tala will spit it out if she doesn't like it. We use "Little Tummies Gas Drops". We also have her on ProSobee because she doesn't digest milk well. It gives her gas but I figure we can handle gas more than the projectile vommiting she did on the milk based stuff.

Kiedy-Tala will lay flat on her back to sleep but it doesn't take long for her to wake. She inherited her mommies sinus trouble. She is very congested most of the time. We give her Saline Drops often which helps too. The swing and car seat seem to be the best for her. She fell asleep last night in the car seat on the way home from my grandparents. Rather than moving her I left her there and she didn't wake up for 7 hours! I figured she wouldn't sleep that night but she ate and went back to sleep for another 4 hours in the swing.

Sarahj

Old 10-10-2005, 08:36 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

S&J
Yeah, Healthlink is great, I have used it quite a bit between Kierra and Kaden. I looked at my catalogues and I can't find that wedge now...!?!...I may just be blind, so I'll look again tomorrow, or it may have been in one of the older catalogues that expired...I'll try and find it for you though and get back to you. For the formula, I used breastmilk with the powder but after mixing it, it isn't much more than the liquid amount, (if I remember right) If you have 2oz of breastmilk and mix one scoop of powder it may come out to just about 2 1/2 oz but I can't remember really so you'll have to experiment...can you do me a favor? Let me know when you figure it out to refresh my memory. Eventually you will be able to pump more...I remember the first time I pumped I would be surprised if I got 2 tablespoons out! A couple months later I was able to get a few ounces out each pump. Then a few months later I went out with the girls for a spa, dinner and movie day, when I got home I was so full I pumped about 9 oz, and probably could have pumped more. Your fall leaves pics sound adorable, I did that with Kierra a couple years ago and they were so cute, but DH bought a new lawnmower this summer and it mulches leaves so I have no leaves to take pictures in...I may go over to a friends place and borrow her yard full of leaves. LOL. Tomorrow Canadian Baby Photograhers is coming over to take our "complimentry photo", their way of suckering you in to buying all the pics that come out way too cute to resist. They do Anne Geddes type pics as well as the regular photo's, but the nice thing is they come to you, they bring all the equipment and set up in your living room, and once the pics are processed they come show them to you so you never have to leave the comfort of your own home...but you pay the price for it in the pics...LOL...they are very nice pics though, high quality and the poses they do are unreal. They make it look like the baby is sitting up on his/her own, and the props they use and the quality, it is just all part of the reason you get suckered in to buying...I almost shouldn't have agreed to the session but I want to see how they turn out and I feel bad because we did do it for Kierra and I don't want him to feel left out because he didn't get any as well.
Sarah, DS is just starting to get used to his swing, he actually slept in it for 3 hours the other day but for the most part he is done after about 1/2 hour if I am lucky, he is one smart cookie, he likes to be held. How was your week back at work. I know how hard it is...I had a hard time going back after Kierra, and even though I have a long way to go I am dreading doing it again. DS is congested at night too, I thought he had caught a sinus cold when he was 3 1/2 weeks old, but he is still congested at night and at his last pediatrician appointment I asked the Dr and he said it's just because babies nasal passages are so tiny that any secretions and/or milk that sometimes makes it's way back up makes it sound like they are very congested. He said the saline drops are the best thing, and over time it will gradually go away.
Well, we just celebrated our first holiday with Kaden. Thanksgiving (Happy Thanksgiving fellow Canadians) we actually had the big dinner Sunday because my sister had to work today. Today DH, DS, DD and I all went to the Wallace and Gromit movie. I was surprised that there were as many people there as there were considering it was a holiday...they should have been making dinner, or celbrating at relatives homes. Kaden was good, he slept through half the movie and then when he woke up I held him and he started at the step lights and the dim wall lights for a bit, then he had a little snack (nice thing about dark movie theatres...didn't have to leave to feed him ) and he fell asleep again. Kierra was good too, but when we left she said she didn't like the movie, she said it was scary, but she didn't cry or anything...I think the were-rabbit scared her...or the fact that the little rabbits were scared of the were-rabbit. K, I've consumed enough of your time for today. Geez...I have to start coming on here more so I can make lots of shorter posts and no more long ones like this.

Old 10-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I found it! I searched all my Sears catalogues and even called the 1-800# and had them search theirs and neither one of us could find the mattress wedge, so I called my friend who had bought the one I have and asked her, and turns out it was in the Toys'R Us catalogue! It's in the "Everything For Baby 2005" catalogue on page 31 and it's letter B. Hope that helps you, if you don't have the catalogue it is on their site and it's called a "Crib Wedge" by Jolly Jumper. Gotta go Kaden just woke up.
Talk to you later.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:44 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

S&J HB User

Kierrasmommy,
Thanks..i have that catalogue somewhere! I just have to search for it
Canadian baby photographers have "called" once but haven't called back to schedule a time..my cousins have had their pics done by them too and it's a whole lotta money! I think we're going to stick with Sears!

I've been doing "tummy" time with Troy. He's finally starting to lift his head and hold it there for like 5 secs! and then after that he cries up a storm.
He's not even close to rolling over..he just lays on his back and looks around or when he's excited he'll flail his arms and legs around! I think he's going through a growth spurt because he was up twice last night to eat...he'll usually go about 4-5 hours but last night he wanted to eat at 1am & then 4am and then he ate at 8am and then 11am..and he was sooo tired this morning..he never "zonks" out after his 11am feed..he usually stays awake for an hour and then has his nap....so i'm just assuming he's having a growth spurt.

I also tried the formula..i didn't mix it with my breastmilk like i wanted..but he took the bottle and formula with no problem. He didn't even get gassy like I thought he would!

Well i better get going!
talk to you all soon!
S

Old 10-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #24
Veteran
(female)

Laur77 HB User

Hey guys!
What is Healthlink? I have never heard of it. Is it for all of Canada? If so, can you give me the number.
Logan had his first shots yesterday. Don't know who was more traumatized. It was heart-breaking to hear him scream. Afterward it wasn't too bad though; he was very fussy for the rest of the day, but otherwise okay.
S&J; that's so funny that we did the same picture the same day! Glad the bottle went okay for you.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:54 PM   #25
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Hi All

I don't want to speak too soon but, based on the last three evenings, we seem to be settling down into a routine. I'm feeding DD about 6pm then bath and massage and a cuddle, final feed at 8pm and she's been asleep by 8.30 - 9pm. On Monday night she then slept all the way through to 7.30am!!!!! Last night wasn't quite so good but she still went right through to 5am! I really, really hope that this continues.... fat chance I know. Someone asked whether she sleeps in with us (sorry I can't remember who) well sometimes she sleeps in our room and sometimes in the nursery. I sleep soo much better if she's in the nursery but then I feel guilty because everyone says baby should be in with you for six months. The thing is that I think she sleeps better in the nursery because we don't disturb her when we go to bed or if we are noisy in our sleep.

I've just started trying her with 'baby massage' and she seems to really love it. I've only been to one class so far so I can only do a bit but she was grizzly tonight and cried when I took her out of the bath. So I laid her on the towel and massaged her legs and tummy and she calmed right down and was gurgling and babbling happily all the time. She then stayed really calm and happy whilst I dressed her and got her ready for bed. I also really enjoyed it, it was nice 'bonding' time. I'd definitely recommend it.

Hope you and your little ones are all well.

Spanish

Old 10-12-2005, 03:18 PM   #26
Veteran
(female)

Laur77 HB User

Spanish, glad to hear you are getting some sleep. I don't want to jinx it either, but my DS has been having some really long stretches at night too! I wake up at 7:00, and try to remember what time I was up during the night. Then I realize, hey, I wasn't! Don't feel guilty about having your baby in the nursery. I have my son in our room more for MY benefit than his. I know if he was in his own room, I'd be back and forth several times to check on him. I like that I can just look over at him and know he is okay

Old 10-12-2005, 10:14 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Geez you guys are making me jealous...Kaden slept for 4 1/2 hours last night and I was celebrating that. It's a start though. I went to the library to try and get the book, Happiest Baby On The Block that I've heard people recommend on here, but it was out so they are bringing another one in for me, should be here in a couple days. I want to try and see if there's anything in there that will help Kaden learn to fall asleep in his crib and not on Mommy. The night before last was a pretty rough night, he wouldn't sleep in his crib so he ended up sleeping on me most of the night, but lastnight was much better. Have any of you read the book?
Laur, HealthLink is Canadian as far as I know. It's a 24 hour health line that you can call and a Registered nurse will help answer your questions. There should be a page or section in the front of your phone book explaining it, with your local # to access it, otherwise the toll free # is 1-866-408-5465. I have used it alot. I took the fall leaves pictures today with the kids, I wish I would have done it a week or 2 ago though when the leaves were orange and red still, today they were mostly yellow and brown, but the kids were dressed colorfully so hopefully that will work. Well, gotta go, I'm making cookies...bad thing about not working is the urge to bake...will make losing weight harder I'm sure...LOL...I can't complain, I have been back to my pre-pregnancy weight since he was 10 days old...just want to tone up now and maybe lose more weight to get back to what I weighed before Kierra. Well, talk to you all again soon. Take care.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:33 AM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

S&J HB User

Hi all
I'm the same as you kierrasmommy..i celebrate if troy sleeps 4 hours too!
Last night he went to sleep at 9pm and then woke up at 3:45am for a feed! i was shocked! I asked my dh if he wanted to bet that Troy would wake up at 12:30am..as he was only sleeping for 3-4 hours..luckily we didn't bet anything!! after that 3:45am feed he slept until 7am..i put his soother in and he slept until 9am....i was actually up before he was and had a cup of coffee! i know i shouldn't get used to this either! but it'd be nice if he got into that routine!

Have any of you gotten your baby's halloween costume yet? We haven't...we looked but all the infant costumes seem to have been bought out!! the only place i've seen any baby costumes is at the childrens place...i think we'll have to buy something there..i was looking for something cheap from walmart or zellers but there's nothing there..i think i'm going to check out old navy?? maybe there's something.

well i better get going..troy is on my lap right now and is getting a little restless!
talk to u all soon!
S

Last edited by S&J; 10-13-2005 at 10:35 AM.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:40 PM   #29
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Hi S&J

I'm in the UK and I think Halloween isn't such a big deal here as it is in the States. But I was in a shop today and saw a little white babygro with a big smily pumpkin on it and the words 'Mummy's little pumpkin'. It also had a hat with a green stalk and leaves coming out of the top!! I just couldn't resist. LOL! We're going to take a photo of DD wearing it and then make them into cards to send to our families.

Spanish

Old 10-13-2005, 01:34 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I haven't bought Kaden's Halloween costume yet, I better get one soon I guess. Kierra is going to be a fairy princess. I saw a flyer last week with pictures of baby cotumes in it but I can't remember where they were from, and I would bet they are sold out like you said. Kierra dressed up every year..the first year I just took a picture of her next to the pumpkin, and the second year she went to one neighbours place more or less to show her what Kierra was dressed as, but last year she went trick or treating for the first time and had so much fun she didn't want to stop...needless to say she is excited for Halloween already.
Yeah, the other night when Kaden slept for 4 1/2 hours I woke up 1/2 hour before he did...it was 4am but my internal clock must have been wondering why he wasn't up yet so I went to check on him, got a drink of water then went back to bed for the 1/2 hour until he woke up...lastnight he didn't do as well, he fell asleep and was up 1/2 hour later, not to eat, I think he just didn't want to sleep in his crib, I tried a couple times to just put his sucky (pacifier) in and he seemed to close his eyes like he was going to sleep but he didn't so after 10 minutes I picked him up and cuddled him for 10 minutes then put him back to bed and he slept for 3 1/2 hours. Well, I gotta go, Kierra is calling me and Kaden just started crying, talk to you soon.

Closed Thread