It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 09:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User
September mommies and their babies!

Well, September is over, and I think we've had a bit of time to adjust (LOL yea right) Anyways, I think it would be great to hear how everyone else is doing and what babies are up to right now!

My alex is an eating machine and he is gaining weight like crazy! He has just started to "talk," which is mostly him squeaking and grunting. He also is starting to smile on his own (without the 'help' of gas bubbles) and I've heard him giggle on a few occasions.

He isn't sleeping through the night, but oh well...I am adjusting to life without sleep. I decided to take an idea from another mommy on the board, but I altered it a bit....I do the four "b's" every night, which are: bath book bottle and bed! He knows the schedule by now and he seems to sleep better when I follow it. (It's just getting daddy to do it when it is HIS turn lol.)

My favorite thing to do with him is to take him to the coffee shop and read while he just chills. EVeryone knows him there and they all coo and fuss over him, and he is such a ham that he takes it all in!

I am also battling post partum depression, but I went and got help from the doctor and I am feeling so much better and in more control of the situation. I am reading the book my Brooke Shields and it helps so much. I have my hard days, but they are getting fewer!

Anyways, I am looking forward to hearing all of your stories! (I am especially curious to see how pitbulllover is doing with her twins!)

Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2005, 09:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MissT HB User
Re: September mommies and their babies!

Ah heres the Sept mommies thread. heh I am not much for starting threads so I posted in the Oct. mommies since I was supposed to be. hehe plus I had a similar issue as she did.

Is your baby BF or Bottle fed? I am curious as to what everyone's babies are eating (estimate/oz.) per sitting. I am thinking mine may be needing more but sometimes he spits up so I don't want to over load him and have him spit it all up.

My guy has no routine unless you count wanting to be held every second of the day a routine. I miss being able to potty and bathe when needed. lol Now it's kinda when I get a second, that's probably why my insides are so screwed up, STILL! My little man, the first week slept constantly and I was wondering when is he going to wake up and be alert and now I am wondering when is he going to sleep and not be fussy. I have to watch myself for post
partum depression because I do have some moments I am overwhelmed and I was on anti depressants for years and haven't needed them for awhile thankfully but I don't think it would take much, especially now for me to go downhill again.
the area that I had stitched up that tore is still sore and I honestly don't think the dr. did it right because it's kinda out of whack. ha! if that makes sense. I am thinking it's going to be major scar tissue.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Thanks for starting this thread! My baby girl is 5 weeks old (6 weeks tomorrow). We are breastfeeding. I'm doing the SAHM thing for now.

Miss T, I am pumping in addition to feeding so that we can have a supply for when I'm not available, and also give occassional bottles now. Right now, Ava takes a bottle of EBM that is 3 oz. Just last week we were doing 2½ oz. The bottle is generally the last feeding before we officially put her down to bed (around 10:00pm...or sometimes a midnight bottle). I breastfeed her the rest of the day. My husband gives her the bottle. Sometimes my husband says she would have taken a little more if it had been in the bottle, but not urgent enough to where I've had to step in and feed her extra...and sometimes she doesn't finish the bottle completely. So, 3 oz seems to be about right for right now. She weighed 7 lbs, 10 oz one week ago.

A guideline I'm using which seems to be working pretty well...I pump 1 full breast in the morning, and however much that is seems to be is how much I figure she'll take in a bottle. I made that guideline up, so don't use it as fact, but so far it seems to be about right for us. As of this morning, I've pumped just shy of 4 oz from 1 full breast. I've never pumped that much before. That must mean she's going to be wanting a 4oz bottle sooner than later.

We started bottles and pacifiers in the 3rd week. She isn't having any trouble with nipple confusion. She'll eat out of any bottle/nipple we give her, and suck any brand pacifier. We are sticking primarily with the Avent bottles because the nipples seem to drip slower than the other's we've tried, and we like the shape of cool wide bottles. We also have Evenflo, Medela, and (something else I can't think of this second).

I bought "The Happiest Baby on the Block" as recommended by others and I was able to take control of the screaming on the very first day of reading the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing. My husband doesnt' think it works and says it only works because I'm her mom, but then he has never read the book...he just imitates me...and he gives up within 60 seconds of trying. It is a helpful book!

No smiling yet (aside from baby dreams). I think it will some soon. She is geting more alert and looks around more and more each day. She definitely does a lot of moaning, groaning, and grunting while she sleeps. It's kind of funny.

Well, I need to think about feeding time. Glad to see everyone. I hope some of the others from the pregancy board find this.
Gayle

Old 10-19-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
(female)

RebbieO HB User

Hi folks!

I was about to start this thread if no-one else had. I'm sitting in the library with my daughter snoozing away quietly on my shoulder. I breast fed her whilst i was typing some e-mails and she then fell asleep so I'm taking the opportunity to catch up while i can. i can't take too long though, as she appears to have filled her pants and it's now a bit stinky round here! I think i'm more embarassed about the smell than of breast feeding in public (although it's not really that busy in here).

On a good day, Amy will sleep for 4 hours in the night, but on a bad one she will wake up only an hour after settling, then she won't go back to sleep after a feed. i have tried not changing her diaper unless it really needs it as this makes her wide awake, and I also try to only pat her gently to wind her, but I'm worried that she might spit up in her sleep then. It's all trial and error at the moment, though I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep one day in the not too distant future. I'd prefer her to sleep from 9 pm to 9 am than 7 pm to 7 am, though, at least til I have to get up early when I go back to work.

I am trying to follow the EASY (Eat, Activity, Sleep, You) format outlined in the Baby Whisperer books, but sometimes Amy just wants to go straight back to sleep after a feed and sometimes she will not go to sleep for about 3 hours. Fortunately, she doesn't cry excessively, but this may be because I give in and pick her up when she has cried for more than 2-3 minutes, as she seems to get more and more agitated. She has awoken a couple of times when I've been in the bath and DH was at work and I left her to cry a bit longer then, but she didn't stop til I went to her (but at least she stopped). i might check out that book you mentioned, Gayle.

I love to see her smile when she has wind or is dreaming - I know it's not intentional, but it's nice to see what it will be like when the time comes. She has a cheeky glint in her eye when she is wide awake which is really cute.

Amy had a slight cold this week, which seems to be clearing up, although she did manage to pass it to me first. That makes getting up in the early hours of the morning even harder.

I wonder how kkkk is. Hope she gets a chance to update us soon.

Rebbie

Old 10-19-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Celestine HB User

Ethan just turned 1 month old last Saturday. I can't believe it's been that long already. He's grown so big already since he was born. Yesterday I put a sleeper on him that used to hang off him an now he just about fills it out legs and all.

I'm really, really lucky so far where sleep is concerned. He is a very regular baby. I give him a bath at 8 p.m., he has his bottle at 8:30-9 and he's asleep by 9:15 every night. He gets up at 2 or 4 a.m. like clockwork and then usually sleeps till 7:15. If there's a substancial change in his daytime routine it sometimes varies by an hour but it's usually right on. Even in the daytime he has really regular nap/awake times unless we go somewhere. He only really cries when he's hungry or when his clothes are getting taken on and off (changes or in/out of bath) or during tummy time. He finally got used to being in the tub as long as I make really slow movements and no loud noise. As soon as he startles in the tub it's game over. Most of the time he's very content and he's started to really look around and do some talking. It's so cute when I'm in the kitchen and from across the living room I hear a big loud "Ahhhhh!" He likes it when I "Ahhhhh!" right back at him.

We really wanted to breastfeed but he just wouldn't keep at it. He was never getting enough and it would take 2+ hours to even get close. He was losing weight until we finally started bottle feeding and now he eats 4-5 ounces a time.

Better go, it's just about "tune time" for us. lol It's dancin' and singin' time. He loves music, and even my terrible singing. Poor boy.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:32 PM   #6
(female)

FLAngel HB User

It is amazing how similar babies can be at particular ages, but then how different as well... Kennedy is 3 weeks now and just had her second check-up. She gained 2 pounds and grew an inch. Some days I look at her in the morning and it is like I can see her growing! I already miss her at her 7 pound self

As for sleeping, she is all about it during the day. Waking up every 2-3 hours to eat, look around for a few, then back to sleep. At about 9pm though, she is wide awake and stays that way pretty much until 12:30. At this time she also likes to eat constantly! I am breastfeeding so evenings have been painful. I am trying a pacifier to see if she is just wants to suck, but she isn't taking to it very well. I have been working hard to improve her latch as feeding is still very painful. Since paying closer attention to the process it seems to be getting a bit better.

I am going to start expressing and bottle feeding to prepare for return to work (boo hoo) and to see if it makes nighttime feeding easier. If anyone has any tips on pumping and introducing a bottle, I am all ears!

Still waiting for a calculated smile and some noises that don't sound like growling (although those are cute too). Best of luck Mommies... keep posting, I learn more from this board than anywhere else!

Old 10-19-2005, 04:53 PM   #7
(female)

JLMandPaul HB User

Just wanted to say a hello to you all. I was hoping someone would start a Sept babies post. Anyway, Sophia and I are doing well, I think I love her more every day, at 7 weeks old, she grows more and does new things everyday. Im very lucky that she is such a good baby, very mellow, quiet, and only cries when she is hungry or doing tummy time. She's been formula fed since birth and has been doing well with it, we tried using different bottles and ended up with the Avent brand and they seem to be doing the job. She loves her swing, and her chair, and she loves to be held, sung to, and kissed, I love her eyes when she is watching intently and her little sighs and sounds. She is the sweetest little thing. Her eyes just follow me around and Ive seen a smile a time or 2 when talking and singing to her. Her sleeping habits during the day are pretty good, mostly she falls asleep in her swing or chair, and I'll leave her in them because she does wake up if picked up (which I discovered all too often) so her pediatrician just said leave her in there. Her sleeping at night habits are as such: she gets a warm bath, a bottle and a story and is in bed in her crib around 10 pm at the latest, and she sleeps through the night til she wakes up around 5 am, when her daddy gives her her morning bottle, shes up until around 6:30 and my husband will put her in the co-sleeper in bed with me before he leaves for work, she and I will go back to bed and sleep until 9. I think she has my sleep habits, which is fine with me because I am a person who LOVES to sleep. Ive been doing tummy time with her and shes really not crazy about it, and will cry unless I lay down on my tummy in front of her and talk her and sing to her, I stick with it because I know its good for her and her neck muscles. Her visit with the pediatrician is coming up soon and I know she has gained weight since she has the chubbiest little legs and arms. I will let you know how much shes gained in weight and length, Im worried about vaccinations then, I know its going to be a bad day and I hate to see my baby girl cry and be in pain. Im afraid what I will do when I see the nurse coming at her with a needle. Well this post is getting long and I need to eat dinner, glad to hear from other September Moms!.

Jamie
Mommy to Sophia Isabelle

Old 10-19-2005, 09:09 PM   #8
(female)

FLAngel HB User

speaking of tummy time... when is it appropriate to start having them spend time on their bullies? My DD is 3 weeks, should we be spending some time on this now or is she too little still?

Old 10-19-2005, 09:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

she is good for tummy time....I use a boppy so my DS doesn't smash his face into the floor. You can use a rolled up towel, and put it under her chest so she has something soft for her face.

As a side note, Alex slept from midnight to 7am this morning. I got up every few hours to check on him, but he slept so well!!!! Hopefully it wasn't a fluke!

I also began to feed alex some cereal, and a bit of fruit. I know I know...everyone says it's a nono, but the formula isn't doing it for him. He was eating around 6 ozs every two hours....it was ridiculous. A nurse said to give him a bit of cereal just so he felt satisfied every once in a while. It's been working so far, and his poop is ok too. Plus he seems to love it!

Old 10-20-2005, 07:46 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Jamie...I am also dreading Vaccination Day. I've still got a couple weeks to go before then, but I'm thinking I'll have a hard time watching that.

Today I go to see me OB for my 6-week checkup. I just stopped bleeding about a week ago (so I bled for 5 weeks). Glad that's all over. I'll be glad to have this visit over. Anyone thinking about having another baby? I'm not...just asking.

FLAngel...I'm doing the pumping in addition to nursing. Did you have any Q's? The one thing that surprised me when I started pumping is going through engorgement all over again. I was stimulating production more. Now, I have to keep pumping...no days off...and stick with my pumping schedule...or my breasts' schedule gets messed up. Is anyone else having these issues? I would have never thought pumping just twice a day in addition to nursing would require such a rigid pumping schedule or I'm hurting.
Gayle

Old 10-22-2005, 07:36 AM   #11
(female)

RebbieO HB User

I can't stay on long today, but I would be grateful for any advice on how to keep a baby awake in the day time. I know it seems like a strange question when most of us want our babies to sleep, but Amy has managed to confuse day and night and sleeps for over 3 hours in the day if I let her, then can go for several hours at night without sleep. I have tried waking her after a couple of hours in the day, but nothing seems to keep her awake.

Rebbie

Old 10-22-2005, 11:56 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Celestine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebbieO
I can't stay on long today, but I would be grateful for any advice on how to keep a baby awake in the day time. I know it seems like a strange question when most of us want our babies to sleep, but Amy has managed to confuse day and night and sleeps for over 3 hours in the day if I let her, then can go for several hours at night without sleep. I have tried waking her after a couple of hours in the day, but nothing seems to keep her awake.

Rebbie

My son was like that too for a while. Aside from just keeping things really as interesting as possible during the day and as bland as possible during the night, I found it helped to dress him a little cooler in the day. He's warm enough but the cool air on his skin helps keep him awake. Warm jammies on at night. I also make his bottles a little smaller in the daytime. They're enough satisfy him at the time but he gets hungrier more often and wakes up for more. I only swaddle him at night since he sleeps more soundly unless he's been up a long time in the day and is getting grouchy.

Good luck! No sleep is so frusterating!

Old 10-22-2005, 12:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

My response is on the same lines as Celestine said.

In the evenings, the overall mood is calm & quiet. Lights are dim (where the baby is at, anyways), and it's all geared toward sleep.

The daytime, I get her out in the light by windows or outside, I'm more active with her...similar to what was said above.

We swaddle anytime we need to calm her, but I can surely say that swaddling her through the night helps her sleep in longer stretches.
Gayle

Old 10-24-2005, 11:03 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

Hey I just wanted to see how everyone is doing--has anyne else survived the six week growth spurt? The other day DS ate pretty much 48 hours straight...no joke. I can so tell he is growing out of his "smalls." I remember when the 0-3 onsies wouldn't fit! Now he is a little porker

I hit seven weeks old tomorrow, and he is starter to sleep a bit better....two days he has slept for seven hours in a row, and I practically jumped for joy! I kept on getting up every few hours to see if he was really ok lol. Well, then he went back to getting up every three hours Oh well it was nice while it lasted!

Anyone else dressing up their baby for halloween? I got a little lobster costume! I can't wait to go out (mostly to show him off to family, not for candy lol)

I look forward to hearing updates!

Old 10-25-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Hi LexJude...Your baby was born 1 day before mine, so our 7-week mark is the day after.

I've been waiting for a 6-week growth spurt in the traditional sense. I can tell she is gaining weight by her cheeks and thighs, but still fitting very comfortably in Smalls. I almost think that she is having a growth spurt by eating more at each sitting...but not wanting to eat any more often than every 2 hours. I have seemed to notice lately that she is sucking a lot harder when she eats, and the breast feels completely drained.

I'm also pumping a lot more milk out. This morning, I pumped 5 oz out of 1 breast. I could have kept going, but my container was full, and I didn't feel like starting a new container. I've never pumped that much at 1 time...let alone out of 1 breast before.

As for the sleep, I'm experiencing the same thing. Ava also slept 7 hours in a row for 2 nights in a row. The third night it looked to be the same, I woke her up to feed her. As nice as it is to sleep that long, it just didn't seem right for her to be sleeping that long. I went through a period of weight loss with her in the early weeks because I was letting her sleep for longer periods day and night when I should have woke her up to eat...so I'm kind of scared to let that happen again. I know it won't, but it's on my mind.

For Halloween, we have a pumpkin/halloween sleeper with a matching hat. It's a size small, and was way too big on her last week. If it doesn't fit, that's okay. We're just passing out candy at the door anyway.

Ava seems to be getting cuter as time goes by. Her milia and baby acne (it was a mild breakout) is just about gone now. No signs of cradle cap going on yet. That's good. I'm noticing now that she has my eyes and nose and my husband's chin & hair. This has just become noticeable in the last week.

That's what's going on with us. Every day, I'm thankful to not be pregnant anymore. Now that time has gone by, I can still say I really hated being pregnant. Glad it's over.
Gayle

Closed Thread