It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 10:43 AM   #1
(female)

samantha1982 HB User
any advice on giving a two month old medicine?

my son has acid reflux and his ped prescribed him zantac for it. today i gave him his first dose of it and he shook his head and spit some of it out. i don't blame him, this stuff smells horrible. i would try to put it in with his food, but sometimes he doesn't finish his bottle.
also, he takes it three times a day. so should i give it to him every eight hours? my husband seems to think that night time doesn't count and that i should give it to him three times during the actual day.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
(female)

I_love_lucy HB User
Re: any advice on giving a two month old medicine?

IMHO 3 x's a day means every 8 hours...check with your pharmacy though. I had the same problem with my daughter...she was 3 months...the medicine was for kidney reflux...she hates it.

I would make her 2 bottles one with 1 oz of formula w/the medicine and then the other with the rest of the formula until she started eating cereal and fruit...cereal at 3 months (as long as the baby can hold their head up alone) and fruit at about 4 months.

What I do (still do it she has to take the med for 1 year) is in the morning I make up 2 bowls of cereal and fruit one with about 3-4 tsps w/the medicine the other bowl the rest of her fruit and cereal...of course I feed her the fruit & cereal w/the medicine first...I also got a list of flavors from the pharmacy took it home looked it over called the pharmacy to see which flavors were compatible with her medicine. I chose banana...the cereal I make it with is also banana and then I put her fruit (bananas of course) in it too...she loves it now.

Think the pharmacy can flavor the medicine for you??? The the list of flavors was pretty long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Are you using a medicine dropper or an oral syringe. DS was on this and didn't seem to mind the taste -- I thought it dreadful though. But with all his medicines I load up oral syringes and squirt the medicine into the pouch of his cheek. The dietician and doctors warned us NOT to mix any medicine with formula 'cuz then he'd associate the taste with the medicine and either not eat, nor would he get the correct amount of medication.

DS got his twice a day -- early morning and late at night. When he was either sleepy or sleeping, so I'd quick squirt it in while he was out of it and didn't seem to mind. The only thing we ever had a problem with was septra and non-flavored milk of mag -- he'd shoot it out like a fountain

Some pharmacies used to offer flavorings. Maybe you could ask yours to do so.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

how can you give meds to a sleeping baby without gagging him/her, and with the meds getting down, I don't see that all that safe to do. My doc suggested putting the meds in with the formula, the small amount that you give them does not give it that strong of a taste to make them not eat. My ds was on zantac twice a day. morning and night. good luck to you.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Ds is on zantac too, it's flavored with peppermint, ewe! My pharmacy flavored it with grape. She looked it up, and it said that grape was the only flavor that might mask it. Ds has been on it for about a month, and he has sort of gotten used to it.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
(female)

I_love_lucy HB User

My doctor also suggested putting it in the formula and my DD had no problem drinking that and the other bottle I made...but she did not like the grape flavor...she loves the banana. I also did use an infant medicine dropper and would squeeze a small amount at at time into her cheek...but this was very stressful...she hated it...that's when I ask if we could put it in a small amount of formula...then I got the idea to ask the pharmacist about what flavors they have and what flavors I could get in her medicine.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

What has worked for us giving our son Zantac was to mix the prescribed dose with some water. We used a dropper. I would suck up the prescribed amount and then add about 2 mls of water to it. ( I think it's milliliters but I am not sure - 2 more of whatever the unit of measurement is) Obviously that increases the volume you have to put in his cheek but it cuts the flavor and makes it go down easier.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Someone gave us a paicifcer that holds medicine and as they suck it the medicine comes out, kind of slow. We haven't used it with the baby, he doesn't mind taking medicine from the dropper.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugs28
how can you give meds to a sleeping baby without gagging him/her, and with the meds getting down, I don't see that all that safe to do. My doc suggested putting the meds in with the formula, the small amount that you give them does not give it that strong of a taste to make them not eat. My ds was on zantac twice a day. morning and night. good luck to you.
The nurses in the NICU showed us how to squirt the medicine in the pouch of his cheek. When we first adminstered medications, I was a little overwhelmed and also upset that I had to add giving medications to ds several times a day. I got over it. And we didn't dare put medication in DS's bottle 'cuz we never knew from feeding to feeding if he'd drink any of his bottle and he never ever finished it, so we were concerened he wouldn't get his meds.

And when your child is on 4-5 different liquid medications 2-4 times a day, you can't wait for your child to be awake. Besides, babies have that natural suck reflex, and I've done lots of sleep feeding, so DS is pretty much used to it. And I've found that what I may think is a nasty tasting drug, DS doesn't seem to mind. The dietician told us that newborns tastebuds aren't fully developed.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:21 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

We gave DD her zantac using the nipple of the bottle. I put the correct dose in the nipple and gave it to her as if I were giving her a bottle. I only had to give it to her in the morning and before dinner. So it was easy to do the nipple thing. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #11
(female)

samantha1982 HB User

Thanks everyone for the advice. The only why I can get him to take it is to hold his head back and squirt it in his cheek a little bit at a time and then hold his chin closed so he swallows it. I hate doing this to him, but it seems to be the only way to get him to take it. Sometimes he'll spit a little bit out. Is it ok to give him a little bit more to make up for what he spits out?

Old 11-01-2005, 11:32 AM   #12
(female)

I_love_lucy HB User

When my daughter was 2 1/2 months that the only way I could give her her medicine...she screamed the entire time...it was awful...when she could eat cereal I got it flavored and I still put in in with fruit and cereal...at 4 months I put it in a little of her formula...very little formula...she bucked sometimes, but would drink it...she likes the banana flavor it has...luckily she only takes it once a day!! Good Luck...I feel your pain.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:43 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Altson HB User

I haven't read through this entire thread, so this may have been said already.

Put your finger in one side of their cheek, pull out a little, squirt the entire dose in, keep holding out their cheek and lightly blow in their face, causes them to swallow AND not spit any out. Once you get the hang of it, it will take two seconds to give them meds. They'll still cry and wiggle, but at least you aren't struggling for minutes on end.

Closed Thread