It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

emilyallison HB User
Pumping Breastmilk

Ok, I am clueless with breastfeeding. I would like to start pumping my milk so my DH can feed my son sometimes. But I have a few hundred questions!
1. What age can you introduce a bottle? My son is 3 weeks and has been great at BF.
2. Can you pump both breasts into one bottle or do each breast need to be pumped into their own bottle or bag?
3. If I pump and my son gets hungry 20 min. later, will their be enough milk in my breasts to breastfeed him normally?

If anyone else has any tips or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them!! I just got the Medela Pump In Style, but havent tried yet! I hope to start pumping and storing today, but Im a little nervous!!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
Re: Pumping Breastmilk

I was mainly pumping and not nursing at all and I used a double electric pump which was awesome. I also produced a ton of milk so whenever I felt full I would just go empty them. It probably boosted my milk supply which was not good for me cause I was overflowing. If you are using a single pump just use it the same as if your son was nuring. So in other words if your son empties one breast then empty one with the pump. Or you could pump an even amount from each side (what I did). You will get the hang of it. Just do whatever works for you because only you know how much milk you produce ect... Goodluck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I breastfeed. I stay at home and breastfeed. I also pump in addition to nursing to get a supply of milk for when I'm gone (so I can have a life), and so husband can feed her occassionally too.

I think if you & baby are comfortable and good at breastfeeding, then it's time to introduce a bottle. Our pediatrician recommended we start introducing a bottle at 2 weeks old. I wasn't comfortable with that...I waited until 3 weeks. That worked out nice. Glad I didn't wait until 4 weeks. My best friend breastfed & waited until 4 weeks & she thought she should have started sooner than 4 weeks.

You can pump both breasts into one bottle in the same sitting. You just don't want to mix cold milk you pumped this morning & stored in the fridge with milk you just pumped 5 minutes ago & is still warm. You want to chill it all first, then go ahead & mix that together.

Also, if you are freezing milk, you want to make sure you chill the milk first before it goes into the freezer. I don't remember why, this is what I've read & was taught in my BF class.

Regarding getting hungry later...I've never had that problem. I nurse out of 1 breast per feeding and alternate throughout the day...I've been doing that since my milk came in...I don't offer both breasts in a single feeding. So, going approx 4 hours is plenty of time for me to produce more. I get the majority of my pumped milk in the morning when she wakes up...I feed her 1 breast, and the other breast is engorged overnight (last feeding is around 10pm) and gets pumped as dry as I can get it. The next feeding is off the same breast she already fed from that morning since she usually doesn't drain it. That gives the pumped breast time (about 4 hours) to replenish. Then I alternate for the rest of the day.

My baby is old enough now where she consistently sleeps 6 hours a night...so I do engorge...your baby may not be doing that yet.

Our routine just kind of evolved into what it is. I've sure a routine will evolve for you too. The only times my baby has drained me dry is when I've let her use me as a pacifier to calm her down. I don't do that unless I'm at my wit's end & need her to stop crying.

I recommend that you pump the same time(s) every day, and your body will make the adjustments. When I started to pump, it took 2-3 pumping sessions to get enough for a 2 or 3 oz bottle. In a few days, I engorged all over again and was able to get more and more out over time. It took a couple weeks after I started pumping for my breasts to settle in to what was going on & not be sore. If you pump in addition to nursing, just give yourself at least 2 weeks of sticking with it if you have thoughts early on of quitting. Your body WILL adjust.
Gayle

Old 11-09-2005, 10:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiedy HB User

My son also fed only from one side, so what I did was to feed him on one side, put him to sleep at night and pump the other side. This way I had at least 4-6 hrs of him sleeping at night before he would want to feed again and I didn't have to worry about him being hungary.
If you feed from both sides, what I would do is, feed him and pump each breast after he has fed for last couple of feedings. It will take couple of days for your body to increase production at that particular time of the day. Don't store too much milk, b/c it's only good for 3-5 days, unless you want to freeze. But I always pumped just enough for the next day or two (I didn't want to hussle w/ freezing).

Remember NOT to put it in microwave to warm it up (it doesn't warm up evenly and may burn the baby), run it under warm water instead, and DON'T shake the bottle, it breaks away some important protein.

Also don't forget that the feedings that your baby misses, you will have extra milk that you will be able to eventually pump. Hope this helps.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

1. What age can you introduce a bottle? My son is 3 weeks and has been great at BF.
2. Can you pump both breasts into one bottle or do each breast need to be pumped into their own bottle or bag?
3. If I pump and my son gets hungry 20 min. later, will their be enough milk in my breasts to breastfeed him normally?

This has been my experience and everyone is different:

1. Everything that I've read suggests that you shouldn't introduce a regular bottle until the baby is about 6 weeks to prevent nipple confusion. But, DH gave DD a bottle twice at about 3 or 4 weeks. I don't think she was as soothed though.

2.That depends on how much milk you make. I can now pump about 7oz from each breast. Just be aware of your baby's appetite. You don't have to empty the bottle. If your baby seems full and there's still milk left, don't worry about the remainder. I usually pump milk into 5oz storage containers and freeze them.

3. You'll have enough milk 20 minutes later. Your body is supply and demand. If your son is demanding, you'll be supplying. In fact you'll most likely have a boost in your supply from pumping and nursing.

I use a manual isis pump with let down cushions and it works great! I personally don't give DD bottles (just those two) but I do pump to create a storage supply and that is what I've experienced.

Old 11-11-2005, 07:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Hi there! I am exclusively BF too, and here's what 've learned and do.....

1. I use a Medela pump, the electric one, and pump two at a time. I also pum one breast while he nurses on the other. ( he only nurses one side) But lately, he is too interested in the pump to do that, so after I put him down, I pump the other side. I do this to create a good frozen supply, just in case. I have found that when I pump when he is also latched on, I get more, because he creates better letdowns than the pump alone.

2. I introduced a bottle at 5 weeks to ds. He took to it just fine. I also was not the one to give it to him. I wouldn't wait past that, because they definitely have developed a preference.

3. I guess you would have a little milk to feed him 20 minutes after, but it would take work pumping for a few days to build up your supply to probably fill him up. Personally, I would feed him, then wait an hour, pump, and then feed him at his next feeding. This will get your supply way up there, if you want to pump and nurse every time.

I think that we were all clueless at first too! Your doing a great job! I really recommend the Breastfeeding Book, by Dr.Sears. It had some much useful information, and they are such advocates of nursing, unlike some other boooks out there. Good luck, and congratulations!

Old 11-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I'm really glad to see here that I'm not the only one to feed 1 breast at a time! I started doing it this way when my milk first started coming in as a way to relieve the engorgement (I didn't have a pump yet). I thought it was better to have 1 sore/full breast and 1 that felt normal as opposed to 2 kinda sore breasts.

Then 1 day I called the pediatrician's office with a Q and they asked about the BF...I told the nurse about 1 at a time and she told me I should not be doing that. Couple days later...actually with the Pediatrician, he said 1 breast at a time is okay if I can get it to work...but it wasn't the standard way.

Anyway, it works out well for us...just glad to see I'm not the only one.

Old 11-11-2005, 07:20 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

I do one at a time. DD many times will fall asleep on one breast and I don't want to wake her up to switch breasts. If she's satisfied she's satisified. Then the next time she nurses I put her on the otherside.

Old 11-13-2005, 01:11 PM   #9
(female)

emilyallison HB User

thank you all sooo much for your help. DH gave DS his first bottle yesterday, yay!! I do have another questions though-

If I give DS some breastmilk that was in the fridge and he doesnt eat it all, can I re chill it and give it to him again, or should I just toss it out?

Thanks again!!

Old 11-13-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyallison
If I give DS some breastmilk that was in the fridge and he doesnt eat it all, can I re chill it and give it to him again, or should I just toss it out?

Thanks again!!
My understanding on that is if the leftover milk is in the bottle he just ate out of, you should not keep those leftovers around for anymore than an hour or so because bacteria can grow from the saliva contact.

I also understand that you can heat breastmilk 2 times before you should toss it (this would be the first heat and 1 re-heat).
Example: baby takes a 2oz bottle normally, but you think he may do 3 oz. You can heat up all 3 oz. Feed 2oz from the bottle...baby doesnt want the 3rd oz. Since that 3rd oz was not in the bottle & exposed to bacteria, you can refrigerate and heat it up 1 more time within the next 24 hours.

I guess you could keep re-heating milk as long as it's not going bad...but the re-heating keeps killing off the good antibodies and such that breastmilk is good for...that's really why you need to use it up in a reasonable time and not keep re-heating.

Hope that helped. I hope that all makes sense!
Gayle

Closed Thread