It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

FLAngel HB User
flying with baby

I am flying home to NY (3 hour flight) for Christmas with dd. She is 11 weeks old. I am super nervous about the flight. Does anyone have any tips for flying with an infant. People have mentioned giving her baby tylenol before take off? If this is true, any idea on how much to give and how soon before departure to give?

Old 12-15-2005, 04:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: flying with baby

I wouldn't do the tylenol thing. It's not always the best idea. At 11 weeks she is still probably sleeping a bunch. And the flight probably wont disturb that too much at that age. Make sure you can either have a bottle or your breast ready for landing as it can upset her little ears. Also try a pacifier if she takes one. Besides that, just plan on making some trips up and down the aisle walking her around. Bring a few little toys to entertain her. Flight attendants are usually able to get you some warm water if you need to make bottles. The one pain in the butt can be changing diapers. Most airplane bathrooms don't have changing tables. Change her right before you board the plane and if she isn't poopy, maybe you can last the flight without having to do that.

Good luck, and remember, most people on that plane, at one time or another, had a crying baby on a plane It will probably be better than you think! It's when they get older it gets trickier!

Last edited by Kiera1595; 12-15-2005 at 04:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2005, 06:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User
Re: flying with baby

We flew with my DS when he was 10 weeks. And we asked his dr about it, and she said basically what Kiera1595 said, have a bottle or pacifier available during takeoff and landing, to help with the ears. She said tylenol after flying is better than giving it before flying. And I totally agree with chaning the diaper before getting on the plane! It will be sooo much easier on you. Other than that, you should be fine. Our DS slept the whole time in the air, he did fine. Now my 2 and a half year old was a different story, lol. She has flown a ton with me when she was a baby on my lap, but this time she had her own "big girl seat". Good lord, that was a trip! Trying to get a 2 year old to stay in her seat and keep her seat belt on...thank goodness my DH was with me this time and could help.

Closed Thread